• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    I am glad I carry. Didn't really need it, but it was there. My wife, my 9 year old son, and I were walking our German Shepherd and Malamute this evening at a FWA. My wife was bent down fixing her shoe, while I was talking to her and watching her. Just then, my son said "We've got company." I turned around just in time to see 3 pit bulls(or something very similar) charging us full tilt. My son had a stick raised, ready to fight. My wife leaped up and moved in front of him with her Malamute. I was already in front of him with my German. before I ever realized what had happened, my training had taken over. My ruger 357 was already out in the ready position. With the dogs at 10 yards and closing. I let out a command of NO that rumbled like a god. My German sat down and looked at me confused. The Pitbulls also stopped in their tracks, not sure what to do. They then decided to start barking at us. Again I commanded them no. They looked a little shocked. Immediately, I heard a soft voice calling them to come. An old woman had parked her truck around the bend, and had just let them loose. They heard her and went running back. We began making a "tactical" retreat to our truck and left. I was one second from plugging the lead dog, if it hadn't stopped. Glad everyone was safe. Afterwards, my wife told me she looked to me to tell me to draw. She said I was already ready. She was glad, as I always tell her you never know when you might need one. Hopefully, I won't ever need one again. Just thought I would share.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Glad your ok. 10 paces from 3 rushing put pulls... Sounds much to close for comfort!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Discretion being the better part of valor, I congratulate you on an encounter well-handled. Pity the woman didn't get a chance to learn how close she came to losing dogs, but I can see doing exactly what you did and getting while the getting was good.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Glad nobody was hurt, hindsight being what it is, maybe you should have made a report to DNR, maybe save someone else the scare or even a life.

Bigphil5000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Columbus
    Congrats on being ready when you needed to be. It sounds like you handled the situation great.
    Give your boy congrats for being on the lookout too !

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Glad nobody was hurt, hindsight being what it is, maybe you should have made a report to DNR, maybe save someone else the scare or even a life.

What is there to report? The FWA near me is an area everyone runs their dogs, as there is no leash rule, which I find good. Lady just needs to get her dogs under control. I have had so many dogs charge me in my day that it is second hand. Just make a big presence and stand your ground.

Edit: I just read that there is actually a leash law at state parks except when in the pursuit of game. I have never seen this enforced in my area, and personally don't mind.

Last edited:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I fly in and out of FWA all the time. It's such a small airport and you really can't get anywhere from here. I don't know how they get away with calling themselves an international airport much less allow dogs on the tarmac.

(Pssst: Down with acronyms) :bat:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    What is there to report? The FWA near me is an area everyone runs their dogs, as there is no leash rule, which I find good. Lady just needs to get her dogs under control. I have had so many dogs charge me in my day that it is second hand. Just make a big presence and stand your ground.

Edit: I just read that there is actually a leash law at state parks except when in the pursuit of game. I have never seen this enforced in my area, and personally don't mind.
    Yup confused with State Park.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Very tense and spooky situation handled very well by you. Clear demonstration of a cool head in use.

Please pass along my congrats to your son for his SA!

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Loose dogs in public are a problem for a variety of reasons: primarily because everyone thinks "their" dog isn't the problem. This is just one example.

I'm glad you are all OK> and agree it is just one more reason to carry.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Your instinct to command "NO!" was spot on. Dogs respond to authority. I am sure that it was your dogs that had their attention. I own pits and can testify that they are far less people aggressive than the popular culture will lead you to believe. Animal aggression however is indeed a problem.

I would love to be able to say that my dogs are tougher than your dogs, but I believe that the average malamute and German Sheppard tag-team can take 3 pit bulls without much effort.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Your instinct to command "NO!" was spot on. Dogs respond to authority. I am sure that it was your dogs that had their attention. I own pits and can testify that they are far less people aggressive than the popular culture will lead you to believe. Animal aggression however is indeed a problem.

Being "blessed" with a loud voice has served me well in that regard, too! If charged by a dog, the first thing I do is command "No!" in a loud, firm voice. My pit and I were charged by several of the neighbors pits while walking, neighbors could hear my voice at least a block away...lol. Idiot neighbor let his female run loose and she had pups, they all grew up to be a pain, and I think he finally got rid of them. I feel bad for the dogs. For awhile, I had gotten to the point where I would rarely walk our dogs in our neighborhood, it was just a constant battle trying to prevent dog fights. Although ours are always on leash, I'm afraid they would get blamed if another dog (non-pit, etc) got injured/killed, because of stereotypes.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Don't forget the pepper spray. It's tough sometimes to get a good shot at a dog without risking hurting something else; the pepper spray carries a lot less risk and will work in some situations.

Although a direct hit with a powerful spray (or Pepper Blaster) is probably more effective, I carry HALT when biking or running. It has a wider angle of spray so it's easier to get a hit on the dog's eyes.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom