• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I need a storage/garden/whatever shed. Im starting to accumulate to much kids stuff (mostly), and I would like to get a shed to put it in so I can get it OUT of my way in my garage.

So, I can build one, or buy one.

I can build it, I have no doubts on that one. So for those of you who have been down this road, what is your input?

I dont need anything fancy. I want the ability to store my mower (60" ZTR), and kids today. Im thinking it needs doors on both ends so I can get kids stuff and/or mowers out with out moving everything. Size wise Im thinking somewhere around 10' x 15' - ish. I could go bigger or smaller.

So, how is the quality on a pre-built wood unit? we have a couple of places in town which nice looking ones. What about all metal units?

thanks guys!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Check your zoning laws. You will need to pull a permit if it exceeds a certain square footage, and of course a permit means all of the fun building codes you get to have inspected along the way. In my town, I think it was 150 Sq Ft or something. I was limited to a 12x12 shed.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    two 12x12 sheds separated by a rubber gasket, right? ;)

at least thats what the county did with the county building and the jail to keep them "separate".

Lecaia713

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    We've been looking into sheds ourselves, and it does seem that the prebuilts cost less than the materials you would need to build one yourself. Not sure on quality, but... You might want to watch your size though. I know here in Indy, over 120 sq. ft. (so, 10 x 12) and any size with a "permanent foundation" requires about $6-700 in permits. Not sure where you are, but something to keep in mind.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    If like many of us check with that HOA thing too...

If looking for something to put Toys, Bikes, other Kiddo Stuff in, consider the "deck boxes" (big square locking plastic boxes) as they can easily be stashed against back/side of house but aren't permanent...

If your kiddos are anything like mine this also keeps them out of trouble they would get into in Shed or Garage when they can't keep their little hands out of tools, or other stuff they get told multiple times about...

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No permanent foundation. Im thinking something on skids.

and no HOA thing to worry about either.

also the kids things that are getting in my way are the wheeled kinds, like 4 wheelers (small cheap one right now), and bikes.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Someone I know very well who works at the courthouse says the rule of thumb in Vigo county is $500. This person is directly involved with ordinance violations, basis of knowledge should be pretty good.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We just had one built. I could of b uilt it with a friend in a couple of days but time was an issue for us.

We could of had one built cheaper but the ones we found used 2x3's and such. We had ours built by Blue Ribbon Mini Barns, he used 2x4's and 2x6's and is an IFD fire fighter when not building barns.

Only thing we really changed was the height of the doors so you don't have to duck to get in it, had a beefed up ramp built, and changed out the screws holding the hinges. We used the security one way screws (not fool proof, but may slow someone down or make the neighbors barn look more attractive to break into).

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Someone I know very well who works at the courthouse says the rule of thumb in Vigo county is $500. This person is directly involved with ordinance violations, basis of knowledge should be pretty good.

whats the rule of thumb? you mean $500 for the permits?

I hope this isn't the same person who tagged a couple of my cars a few years back. I still owe them a talking to! ;)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know that Hendrick's county is supposed to require permit for anything over 120 sq foot, but I have seen that circumvented many times.

When I move in 8.5 years ago we had Uncle Bob's in Avon build us a 13 foot tall 10x20 mini barn, cost was right @ 3300.00

Best money I even spent, materials arrived on a Friday evening of Memorial weekend, he arrived about 9am Saturday and finished building it by himself @ 1pm Sunday.

I went with the 13 foot tall because on the ends I build storage area in the top along the top of the studs @ the 7 foot mark and on the east end I built a 42 inch tall work bench, with storage under it.

My father in law liked my layout so much, that he built one himself and turned it into a mini cabin, sleeping lofts in the top where I had my storage, and where I had my work bench he turned that into a mini kitchenette.

My and my brother in law have been thinking about doing the same thing and purchasing 20 acres down in southern Indiana, use it as a get away place and a SHTF site incase things go south in a hurry.

Sha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Another possibility for you if you're looking for something pretty small is that shed moving companies exist. I found a very nice wood shed on Craigslist for $200 and paid a guy $200 to move it to my house. I put a new coat of paint on it and its far better than anything else I could've gotten for $400.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    No metal sheds, as they will draw moisture. I went 12 x 32. Only wanted to do it one time. I put a 6'' thick #73 gravel pad down. Packed with a bobcat, had shed delivered. $6200 complete, no permits as it's not permanent.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Whew, at first I thought you were going to say the $500 was to be paid in cash to the IRS man who'd stop by to inspect the new structure.

That's what I meant at first, but then I realized that clay knows me and would question it when I showed up.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You all need to move out of the stalags. If I were to put up a storage shed, I wouldn't even consider a building permit. I bet I could have one for 10+ years and no one from the county would have a clue.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I had a small group of Amish build my little barn. They delivered it a few months ago.
    12x16.

image-2_zps8649e0be.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think my 8X12X7H (inside height rafters not included) ran right about $1300 diy... but that is done to last...

PT 2X6 floor joists 12" on-center, PT 3/4" ply for the floor, steel siding/roof etc...

The steel siding/roof really gets you, it was over half of the cost. The trim pieces really kill you. I recommend going as large as you can. I thought 8X12 would be plenty... I was wrong... that thing is packed to the gills now... I even have LOTS of shelves and racks etc to create more floor space but alas it doesn't help much...

Top Bottom