• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Beautiful, but could you show a closeup of the clips?
    Those would be perfect for a conversation starter with a fellow hunter/shooter.

I'm on my way to the woodworking show right now, so these are the best pictures I have on my phone.

image_zpsf23b220c.jpg

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks for the detailed view of the clips.
    I think the clips are just as beautiful as the rest of the pens, which is to say gorgeous.
    You, sir, are a craftsman.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I've only sold a few. I really don't know WHAT to charge for them. There's a bit of time involved as well. And while I enjoy turning the Acrylic, it can shatter and crack very easily on the lathe. It really depends on the batch you get.

I kind of think it would take a certain type of person to buy a pen that costs over $40...
    The hardest thing is to price your work. Figure the cost of the 'parts' and don't cheat the value of your time. I had a bunch of 'boxes' I turned, bowls, letter openers and such. I had about 8-10 pieces I put in a chow at the University I was working at. I priced them a bit 'conservative'. Every piece sold! Later in the day I was at my GF's place and her friend showed her the neat wooden box she bought. It was mine! (ex lived on campus) Anyway she was saying she would have spent 2X as much, and just couldn't pass it up. I think it was a $15 item... I spoke to the Art Prof that was running the show - she said I was way UNDER priced..... I think the most expensive item was a really nice hollowed bowl for $50. Live and learn.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't made any pens in a while, because the glue was making me very sick. I've been searching for a different type of glue, and I think I have found it.

I made these 2 pens for an INGO member, finished them earlier this week. I think these are the best ones I have made so far...

159705BA-B1A9-46DD-8D08-2533D7F4AFFB_zpskxfpwrbh.jpg

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've only sold a few. I really don't know WHAT to charge for them. There's a bit of time involved as well. And while I enjoy turning the Acrylic, it can shatter and crack very easily on the lathe. It really depends on the batch you get.

I kind of think it would take a certain type of person to buy a pen that costs over $40...

Those pens look great. I made and sold several types of one of a kind, hand made pens using exotic materials. You might be surprised what people will pay. There are lots of folks looking for unique items. I had an initial investment of around $1500.000 into turning... I made that back within the first year of selling on Ebay and word of mouth. I had several lawyers and doctors that paid well over $135.00 per pen for a rattlesnake skin, cast in acrylic and turned on a nice set of hardware. My materials and labor was only around $40.00.
    Do you know WoodTurningz ?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Those pens look great. I made and sold several types of one of a kind, hand made pens using exotic materials. You might be surprised what people will pay. There are lots of folks looking for unique items. I had an initial investment of around $1500.000 into turning... I made that back within the first year of selling on Ebay and word of mouth. I had several lawyers and doctors that paid well over $135.00 per pen for a rattlesnake skin, cast in acrylic and turned on a nice set of hardware. My materials and labor was only around $40.00.
    Do you know WoodTurningz ?

Yep, I have been buying all my kits from them now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I just placed an order for a few more kits and wood. I'll contact everyone once their pens are finished.

I'll have some extras turned up as well, and I'll just post up the pictures in this thread to see if anyone is interested in them.

Thanks!

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Nice pens, I really like woodturningz

I do also. I've known them ever since he was running the place from his house... watched them grow as an organization... Spent LOTS of money with them over the years... Well worth it.

Have you seen the kits from Kallenshaan Woods?

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I do also. I've known them ever since he was running the place from his house... watched them grow as an organization... Spent LOTS of money with them over the years... Well worth it.

Have you seen the kits from Kallenshaan Woods?
    Turned a few of them, I did a couple for the Wounded Warrior Silent auction., held at Rockler .

Top Bottom