• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Thanks to shawkpilot on the trade I got a Cetme. Ive been trying to get a semi auto 308 for some time. Im happy with it so far but I havnt shot it yet. Im in search of some info as well though. Has anybody used the B square mount is it any good and is it accurate enough for a pretty powerful scope to be used with success?

2yplq3c.jpg

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    There is a ton of info on the net, type in Cetme in your search browser. Many forums. If you got one thats built right from Century?, you will love it. They are accurate for a semi-auto. They do get dirty and cleaning them is not fun. I cant tell buy your pic if you have the stamped or stainless steel receiver?. Here is mine it has a ss receiver. (more desirable receiver).

Last edited:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    There is a ton of info on the net, type in Cetme in your search browser. Many forums. If you got one thats built right from Century?. You will love it. They are accurate for a semi-auto. They do get dirty and cleaning them is not fun. I cant tell buy your pic if you have the stamped or stainless steel receiver?. Here is mine it has a ss receiver. (more desirable receiver).

Its a century build ya I bet its just a stamped reciever

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    What great looking rifle. I have a SAR8.
    I've never shot the Cetme. I would think it would be very accurate. It is the base design for the PSG-1.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Get a good mount

Keep it wet. They don't run very well if they aren't lubed well.

Never heard that before, I ran mine dry and had no problems, but I wasn't shooting any high volume either.

Back to the OP's question, I'm not sure about the B square mount. I'd recommend either the ARMs or H&K claw-style mount for a real solid mounting system. I think it is BSA that put out some hack job of the claw mount and I hear nothing but bad things about it. I'd say save up for a good mount and skimp a little on the glass. The greatest USO or Nightforce is worthless if your mounting system rattles loose every 3 rounds.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have not tried the b-square mount, but did have a Tapco mount on my century arms CETME. Accuracy with the rifle doesnt really warrant a higher power scope, a 3-9x should be plenty. I found it difficult to keep a scope zeroed with mine, and ended up going back to iron sights. On a good day, with decent surplus or my own handloads, I dont have a problem holding 4-5 in groups at 200 yards.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Darn it I didn't see the posting for this on the classifieds otehrwise you would've had some competition for it. It looks like you have the stainless receiver. I had the Bsquare mount on the one I used to have and it is solid. I even have removed it and reinstalled without having to rezero. The downside of that mount along with the claw type is that it lifts the scope really high above the receiver. I found it was hard to get a constant cheek weld without putting on a cheek pad on the buttstock. Hope this helps, also you may want to check out this forum because they have alot of great info.
    CETME And FR8

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    The claw mounts almost require a cheek piece to get a proper cheek weld but they are the best QD mounts made (as long as you don't buy a cheap knock-off). For a low mount I would recommend the UTG UTG Low Profile Scope Mount for HK rifles - HKPARTS.NET , I also found I needed a stock extension to get proper eye relief, Adjustable Stock Extension - HK91 Parts, HK-91 Parts, HK G3 Parts - HKPARTS.NET I am using the one made by HK Parts as I am using HK furniture om my CETME...

cetmecheek.jpg

:thatshot:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a CETME and love it!

My words of advice:
    1) Double up on ear protection. Use the plugs and the whole-ear muffler type. The thing is LOUD.

2) When on the range, try to use the lane to the furthest right. If for some reason you can't get that lane, apologize in advance for ejecting brass into the ear of the guy next to you. The CETME ejects... enthusiastically.

In terms of accuracy, I think it is very good. I have a H&K mount, with a 3-9x variable scope (set at 4x and almost never move off of it) and find that the shooter is the source of any inaccuracy more than the rifle.

Edit:
    Obligatory crappy cellphone pic-
    CETME_ret.jpg

And actually, as I look at it, I think that was with the old mount...

Last edited:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    If you have a cast receiver a claw type mount will work well. I have heard from other CETME owners that the claw mount on a stamped reciever tends to not hold zero since the "hump" is not there to keep it from walking forward. Check out these pictures to figure out which you have.

Cast receiver
    pix231409078Small.jpg

Stamped receiver
    pix125376500Small.jpg

I have mine set up with a real HK mount, and a Wotach 10x scope, its a heck of a shooter !!

picture.php

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have a CETME and love it!

My words of advice:
    1) Double up on ear protection. Use the plugs and the whole-ear muffler type. The thing is LOUD.

2) When on the range, try to use the lane to the furthest right. If for some reason you can't get that lane, apologize in advance for ejecting brass into the ear of the guy next to you. The CETME ejects... enthusiastically.

In terms of accuracy, I think it is very good. I have a H&K mount, with a 3-9x variable scope (set at 4x and almost never move off of it) and find that the shooter is the source of any inaccuracy more than the rifle.

I'll totally agree on 1 and 2. I don't have a mount on mine, it has a rail tack welded on...haven't put a scope on it. Mine is the stamped Century build and I've only had one very minor issue with it so far and that was using commercial loads. Surplus ammo and it always functions 100%. They're fun to shoot and look good (I like the wood more than the HK green). For what it cost me, I'm fine with just mostly plinking for now but would like to scope it at some point.

There is nothing wrong with the Century builds if you know what to look for (they usually ground the bolt instead of correcting the gap properly). If that is an issue, it is pretty cheap and easy to fix.

It was funny letting friends at the range put a few down range with it, they'd all flinch on the first shot because they thought there was going to be some serious recoil because of how loud it is. They did the exact same thing when they picked up my 8mm Mauser too.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I had a Semi-auto G3 Century build, which to my understanding, is almost the same except an actual H&K...

My issues...
    Ejected brass had a horizontal "crease" in them, about halfway around, and roughly halfway up on the case... Never tried to reload any, was scared to...

The bolt slammed home so hard you could actually feel it "pull" the rifle forward when it closed.

Had the narrow (standard) handguard, after shooting 2 mags in semi-auto, not even rapid, the handguard was QUITE warm, I have no idea how they shot them full-auto without using the wide handguards at the very least...

Did well with iron sights, put a Swift 4-16x40 with a crappy mount (B-square or similar with the large screw knob on the side), never could get it to hit, scope ran out of adjustment... I'm almost positive it was the mount as the scope had just come back from the Swift factory, having a missing trim ring replaced, sunshade added, and zero reset (all at no charge, and it was a scope I bought USED!)

It was still a blast to shoot!

Top Bottom