• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    ok well here's my story and i would like some advice if i was in the right here or not. ok so i was driving home from class and i had decided to try another route to see if it was quicker. i didn't know the roads that well and in the process i ran a stop sign cause it was covered by a big bush/tree thing, and a truck almost hit me. we both stopped and he honked and was upset and i just kind of waved at him and drove off (knowing it was my fault but no accident so no reason to stick around an upset guy). as i'm driving down the road a little more i notice the same truck flying up behind me. he continues to ride my bumper and honk and swerve. basically acting stupid. at a red light he pulls up beside me and tell me to pull over or he'll run my off the road. at this point i know it's a bad situation turn worse. my first though is if i have my glock on me. well i just left class so i didn't take it with me (DOH :ugh: ) but i had just gone shooting with a buddy that weekend and so i had my GSG-522 PK in it's box in the side seat. so i get it out, throw the full 10 rd mag in it and camber. i find a big empty parking lot and pull over cause this guy is really starting to scare me by acting like he's going to hit me. he gets out of his truck and starts to stomp towards me. i get out and just hold my gsg-5 in my hands and said something along the lines of "look i know i ran that sign i didn't know it was there. but really i don't think you should be acting like this" once he saw my gun he cooled off really fast and and told me to chill out (lol i was acting calm even though i wasn't lol) i told him i thought it would be best for him to just get in his truck and drive off, which he agreed and drove off. and i decided to head in the other direction. i didn't call a LEO or anything. i'm not really sure if i should because i never even pointed my gun at him just had it in my hand (low ready). what do you all think? would it be smart to call them now and have a report on file in case either he or someone else calls or what?

the GSG-522 pk --- >
    gsg_522pk_1-sm.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sounds pretty good to me. Seems like you kept a cool head and defused the situation. :yesway:

Road rage does strange things to people, and that guy might be a totally decent dude at other times. His lucky day. :dunno:

Out of interest, what were you driving? (i.e. would he have been able to run you off the road?)

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    ok well here's my story and i would like some advice if i was in the right here or not. ok so i was driving home from class and i had decided to try another route to see if it was quicker. i didn't know the roads that well and in the process i ran a stop sign cause it was covered by a big bush/tree thing, and a truck almost hit me. we both stopped and he honked and was upset and i just kind of waved at him and drove off (knowing it was my fault but no accident so no reason to stick around an upset guy). as i'm driving down the road a little more i notice the same truck flying up behind me. he continues to ride my bumper and honk and swerve. basically acting stupid. at a red light he pulls up beside me and tell me to pull over or he'll run my off the road. at this point i know it's a bad situation turn worse. my first though is if i have my glock on me. well i just left class so i didn't take it with me (DOH :ugh: ) but i had just gone shooting with a buddy that weekend and so i had my GSG-522 PK in it's box in the side seat. so i get it out, throw the full 10 rd mag in it and camber. i find a big empty parking lot and pull over cause this guy is really starting to scare me by acting like he's going to hit me. he gets out of his truck and starts to stomp towards me. i get out and just hold my gsg-5 in my hands and said something along the lines of "look i know i ran that sign i didn't know it was there. but really i don't think you should be acting like this" once he saw my gun he cooled off really fast and and told me to chill out (lol i was acting calm even though i wasn't lol) i told him i thought it would be best for him to just get in his truck and drive off, which he agreed and drove off. and i decided to head in the other direction. i didn't call a LEO or anything. i'm not really sure if i should because i never even pointed my gun at him just had it in my hand (low ready). what do you all think? would it be smart to call them now and have a report on file in case either he or someone else calls or what?

the GSG-522 pk --- >
    gsg_522pk_1-sm.jpg

He mite call a cop, & report your tag, but it was self defense, cause he wanted to mow you down with his truck;)

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    OMG, your actions are full of fail.

Do NOT engage in conversation with another driver you pissed off.

Do NOT pull into a parking lot to meet with said driver.

Do NOT get out of your car if said driver is "stomping towards you" and you "feel threatened"

Do NOT get out with a gun in your hand(pink, come on now).

You need to seriously think things through if you are going to be carrying a firearm for SD. You made many bad moves here. Put on your flame suit, it's going to get hot.

What the heck do you think would have happened if you didn't have a gun with you? Apparently your gun made you feel powerful enough to be willing to stop in a parking lot with a pissed off guy? Would you have done that if you didn't have a firearm?

You should have called 911 and explained that you had a hostile guy on your 6 threatening you, and perhaps driven to the nearest police station.

You injected your self into more danger with your actions. You're lucky he didn't have a gun and open up on you.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    In most cases while moving, your car is your 3,000lb sanctuary. Stay there and drive.

I don't personally see a reason why you had to "go to gun" in the scenario you outlined.
    +1 and since you asked about calling the police, I'll add this. The first person that calls is the complainant, the second one is the suspect. IMO keep driving, call 911, don't go to the gun unless the situation goes seriously down hill. For example, if he does force you to stop.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    omg this happend to me all the time people hate little import cars(what i drive lol) good thing my car runs 13s usually nothing can keep up with me unless it another nice sports car so i just drop a gear and scedattly ..................theyll never catch me alive hahahaha but it sucks people get so mad so easily for the dumbest things its not like you got out of you car and started yelling or giving him the finger after you ran the stop sign

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    omg this happend to me all the time people hate little import cars(what i drive lol) good thing my car runs 13s usually nothing can keep up with me unless it another nice sports car so i just drop a gear and scedattly ..................theyll never catch me alive hahahaha but it sucks people get so mad so easily or the dumbest things its not like you got out of you car and started yelling or giving him the finger i can usually asset weather somone did somthing intentional or not

Hey it looks like all your punctuation got stuck in the middle of your paragraph there.

:D

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Disagree with your actions. Both pulling over and "pulling" your weapon. Could have used your cell phone for 911, could have kept driving, gone to a police station, gone anywhere with more public assistance, etc.

Never easy to make these choices under stress that why they should be thought out in detail prior. At minimum I would have NEVER exited my vehicle. My thoughts are by pulling over and getting out and "approaching" him YOU became an "aggressor" ALSO!
    If you were to have shot him it would have been just as easy for him to say YOU were the one that said pull over, and YOU were the one to get out and...........

Not a good situation. But all in all "It was a good day nobody died" but I think you'd do a much better job of handling in the future by planning ahead! But then again that's why this forum is such a help to other prior to these things happening! Thanks for putting us in your shoes!!!

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    OMG, your actions are full of fail.

Do NOT engage in conversation with another driver you pissed off.

Do NOT pull into a parking lot to meet with said driver.

Do NOT get out of your car if said driver is "stomping towards you" and you "feel threatened"

Do NOT get out with a gun in your hand(pink, come on now).

i know i would of called 911 if i had my phone but i didn't i know not to stop and talk to him but i really had no choice (or at least at the time i didn't think so) he is in an older ford f150 and i'm in my minivan. he kinda of out powered me there. and was really getting close to hitting me. should i just stay on the road and let him hit me/run me off the road? looking back i see alot of things i did wrong and i understand that. however i did dissolve the situation without any one getting hurt in my eyes it turned out ok, but i could of gotten to that place in a better manner.

You need to seriously think things through if you are going to be carrying a firearm for SD.
    realize i had about 1-2min to come up with a plan of action while trying to avoid getting ran off the road.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Have to admit, I'm on the side of not stopping. If it were an incident where I felt threatened, why on earth would I stop to confront the individual? What was expected to happen, the two of you would have a heart to heart and mutually agree on who was at fault, shake hands and become friends? Not being rude, but we're you expecting him to come talk to you calmly? He was already acting like an idiot, you talking to him wasn't going to change that. You getting out of the car only allowed him to continue to do so, getting out with the gun could have elevated the situation much more than it did. Personally, I would've changed directions and if this individual still continued to follow me, I would've made the call to 911 and reported what was going on.

Now, on the opposite side of this, I'm willing to bet this obviously brilliant individual will second guess himself before he tries this with someone else. Or, he will get out with his own gun.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hello 911 there is a lunatic behind me trying to run me off the road! I am scared for my life. He is following me. I am heading ......... on ......... please send an officer immediately!!

Stay on the line with 911 in case it escalates.

Never get out of your vehicle.

I would have also gotten the weapon in a ready state in case it did escalate to him running you off the road and physically entering you vehicle, at that point Indiana Castle Doctrine comes in to play, shoot until the threat is eliminated.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    Hey it looks like all your punctuation got stuck in the middle of your paragraph there.

:D

thanks grammer po po(i didnt want everyone breaking a sweat looking for them cause they all care so much for puncuation) what kinda tranning do you do at the grammer police academy? i bet you love to bust running sentences like mine huh??? you gonna bust me right now???? hahahaha go be a english teacher bud

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I would have kept driving and called 911. If he would have hit me that would have been a different story. I wouldn't have pulled over in a parking lot in an area I didn't know to talk to an irate driver. What if he would have gotten out of his truck with a gun in his hand? That could have proved dealy for one of you. Like someone stated above your car is a rolling shelter, keep moving until the threat is gone or help arrives. It's easy to second guess though so don't feel bad. You did what you thought was right at the time and you are now asking for advice. Live and learn. :twocents:

PS; I bet he has some stained undies on after seeing the GSG in your hands!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I wonder if when this guy tells the story that he'll say that he was persuaded by a guy with a "pink gun" ?!?!

Never be without your firearm...it's not illegal to take to class, of leave it in your car.

Never be without your phone, especially if you have your firearm with you.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    thanks grammar po po(i didn't want everyone breaking a sweat looking for them cause they all care so much for punctuation) what kinda training do you do at the grammar police academy? i bet you love to bust running sentences like mine huh??? you gonna bust me right now???? hahahaha go be a English teacher bud

This is almost as bad an idea as the OP...

LMAO.

By the way I fixed your spelling errors, I guess I am the Spelling Police.:laugh:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i know i would of called 911 if i had my phone

Every incident is an opportunity to learn. Lesson learned here is "always carry your cell phone with you".

but i didn't i know not to stop and talk to him but i really had no choice (or at least at the time i didn't think so)

Lesson #2 is-- you always have a choice. Now you know to keep driving.

he is in an older ford f150 and i'm in my minivan. he kinda of out powered me there. and was really getting close to hitting me. should i just stay on the road and let him hit me/run me off the road?

Yes. You are more protected driving in your car than sitting in a parking lot with a gun.

This is why we have car insurance. Let them sort it out if he hits you.

You escalated a potential insurance claim to a potential self-defense shooting.

looking back i see alot of things i did wrong and i understand that.

Awesome. If you can look back and learn from your mistakes then you are ahead of the curve.

however i did dissolve the situation without any one getting hurt in my eyes it turned out ok,

In this case it did turn out ok. The idea is to stay as far away from the potential for things to go wrong as you can.

realize i had about 1-2min to come up with a plan of action while trying to avoid getting ran off the road.

And this is why mental conditioning and rehearsing "what if" thought-processes is so important. You need to mentally decide what you would do in various self-defense scenarios before they actually happen. INGO is a great tool for such an exercise. :ingo:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    thanks grammer po po

If you're going to take the time to respond, you might as well take the time to make your posts legible. I want to know what you have to say, but your post was difficult to decipher due to the lack of punctuation.

But mostly I was just being silly, and meant no disrespect.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    If you're going to take the time to respond, you might as well take the time to make your posts legible. I want to know what you have to say, but your post was difficult to decipher due to the lack of punctuation.

But mostly I was just being silly, and meant no disrespect.

SISSY!! VUPDBlue would have had him shaking in his booties... :D

Top Bottom