I did not give my identity out when requested!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Today, while doing my job, I observed a jobsite that would be good to take pictures. They did some things correctly and other things that created hazards to motorists. These guys were fixing a gas valve in the street. I thought I could use it as a teaching moment for a future presentation.

I had already taken a picture from a parking lot and they did not like the attention.

Picture110.jpg

So I drive past the jobsite, pull over and park about 300 feet from the job. As I'm getting my hard hat and safety vest out of the trunk, the job supervisor is in my face trying to make me nervous. He says what is your problem and I smile. I tell him I'm taking training pictures from the public right of way and will be on my way. He says I must identify myself with a photo ID and without it I can't come on the jobsite. I told him I had no intention of walking on his jobsite and will be one my way in minutes.

He whips out his cell phone and calls the police and says a man won't identify himself at the project and he wants the police asap.

I asked him what is considered the jobsite and he points to the entire zone around the project. I said really, walked over to take my pictures and was gone in minutes.

When I got back to my car, two guys were taking pictures of me, my car and the contents of my car. I smiled and said enjoy all those pictures of me and left.

No police showed up, I took some good pictures and no dogs were shot. I wish I could have heard the conversation with the 911 operator......
    Picture107.jpg

http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq250/hp5610xi/Picture107.jpg

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    no flashing lights, no one directing trafic, no construction signs? also i would have placed the cones by the truck out further into the road to stop someone from driving into me, lol. just a guess

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I'm not a construction person, but I think those cones, etc are too close to the site and their vehicles. I know, if I were there working I'd like a bit more space between me and any cars coming by. That fire extinguisher looks to be too close to their work, too. If there was an explosion it would likely get caught up in it, as close as it is.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    What do you see wrong with those photos?
    The thing that sticks out to me is that the huge pile of dirt is way too close to the hole. If it gave, whoever is in the hole could be in trouble. This isn't a hazard to passing motorists though.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    What do you see wrong with those photos?
    No shoring/ trenchbox.
    No handrail around hole
    No means of getting in /out of hole.
    4 people standing around sponging tax dollars.
    No fall protection/ lanyard for the fellow in the hole.
    No one watching the fellow in the hole.

I'm actually amazed they have a little fire extinguisher next to the hole.
    I don't think it would help much.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    spoils pile too close to the open trench
    no trench box or shoring in the trench
    the trench was over 6 feet deep without the needed trench box/shoring and ladder
    the vehicle traffic could cause the trench to fail and kill the guy welding at the bottom of the trench.

I watched the welder jump down into the trench
    There should have been a fan to ventilate the welder for heat and fume control

The two lane road was reduced to one lane and they had no formal traffic control person. The stop and go ladies we all see all over the state. They got active when I was leaving, but a trash truck almost hit another truck at the choke point while I was walking back.

This was a union job, thus, three people standing around watching one work............

They didn't follow the warning sign set up for men working signs

All the vehicles and backhoe were running except the ditch witch on the trailer.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I dont see any meters VOC,no PPE,No signs,Need 2 First responders,Wheres the work order?I worked for a Utility Company,and it took an act of God to break a line.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    spoils pile too close to the open trench
    no trench box or shoring in the trench
    the trench was over 6 feet deep without the needed trench box/shoring and ladder
    the vehicle traffic could cause the trench to fail and kill the guy welding at the bottom of the trench.

I watched the welder jump down into the trench
    There should have been a fan to ventilate the welder for heat and fume control

The two lane road was reduced to one lane and they had no formal traffic control person. The stop and go ladies we all see all over the state. They got active when I was leaving, but a trash truck almost hit another truck at the choke point while I was walking back.

This was a union job, thus, three people standing around watching one work............

They didn't follow the warning sign set up for men working signs

All the vehicles and backhoe were running except the ditch witch on the trailer.

Three people standing around? We had to have 2 first responders,and a brigade captain just to get a work order started. Its all about safety. One thing I dont believe in cutting corners on.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I dont see any meters VOC,no PPE,No signs,Need 2 First responders,Wheres the work order?I worked for a Utility Company,and it took an act of God to break a line.
    I'm guessing a smaller community.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

I could not get a good shot into the trench from the street. The trench also had water in it, and no UEL/ LEL gas meters were observed.

There is general rule not to have vehicles running next to a trench due to exhaust hazards.

but who am I....................they are the "experts"

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Wow, a newe form of entertainment. Im gonna start carrying my camera just to ruffle some feathers. I love it when people tell me I cant do something

Top Bottom