I’m getting old, what do I need to keep?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Calibers I have:
    Shotgun (that's easy) - 12 gauge and 20 gauge
    Handgun:
    7.62x25
    32 acp
    9mm Luger
    9mm Largo
    9mm Makarov
    380 acp
    38 special
    357 magnum
    45 acp
    45 Colt
    Rifle:
    6.5 Jap
    6.5 x 55 Swede
    6.5x53R
    6.5x54 MS (I don't have a rifle for this yet, but just in case...)
    7.5x55 Swiss
    7.62x54R
    7.62x51
    7.65x53 Argentine
    303 Brit
    30 carbine
    30-06
    8mm Mauser
    8mm Lebel
    45-70

I think that's it. I did get rid of my 8x56R though, so I've got that going for me. :thumbsup:

View attachment 281882
    To help the imbalance, might I suggest a smooooth operating 870 Wingmaster in 28 gauge. And who wouldn't like a petite, joy to handle, Beretta over/under in 410? And perhaps a sweet 16 :thumbsup:

But to the OP, perhaps the ebb and flow balance being sought is not in lowering the quantity of tools, but in raising the opportunities to play with them. Consider joining a league that gets out once a month or so. Rekindles the fires. Kinda in a similar boat myself right now....;)

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I am worried I will regret what I get rid of; that is why I am dragging my feet (Waiting for someone to give me that exact answer)!
    Open your safe, remove the stuff you are thinking about moving. Close safe, reopen safe and decide if you miss what's not there.

If it tugs the strings of regret keep it.

Have a plan in case your family has to deal with your collection and let them know what it is whether you expand or contract.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Calibers I have:
    Shotgun (that's easy) - 12 gauge and 20 gauge
    Handgun:
    7.62x25
    32 acp
    9mm Luger
    9mm Largo
    9mm Makarov
    380 acp
    38 special
    357 magnum
    45 acp
    45 Colt
    Rifle:
    6.5 Jap
    6.5 x 55 Swede
    6.5x53R
    6.5x54 MS (I don't have a rifle for this yet, but just in case...)
    7.5x55 Swiss
    7.62x54R
    7.62x51
    7.65x53 Argentine
    303 Brit
    30 carbine
    30-06
    8mm Mauser
    8mm Lebel
    45-70

I think that's it. I did get rid of my 8x56R though, so I've got that going for me. :thumbsup:

View attachment 281882
    What's it mean that I've only got firearms in .22lr and 9mm? Diversify?

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    weight of the revolvers seemingly have increased in the last few years. ;-)
    Experienced this not too long ago. Accuracy had gone to pot. Outstretched arms were unsteady, everything felt heavier. Finally realized that life events had greatly reduced my activity level. Didn't take long, few months, for the inactivity to weaken the shoulder muscles. Apparently weight training is necessary to maintain believing I'm still invincible...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Open your safe, remove the stuff you are thinking about moving. Close safe, reopen safe and decide if you miss what's not there.

If it tugs the strings of regret keep it.

Have a plan in case your family has to deal with your collection and let them know what it is whether you expand or contract.
    And what you do keep, be up front with your heirs. My wife's grandparents did this. Have them tell you now what they want when you are gone. Even if its not guns. It can be a pocket knife, or journals. Or photos. Make a list. Use post-its. Whatever. Put their names on it now to avoid (or at least reduce) conflict later. Maybe it will even spark a peaceful debate now that can be resolved now. They are FAR less likely to have actual fights in front of you if they are allowed to bargain for what they want now with your help. "I want the 870 too. If you take the Winchester and the Rough Rider, can I have the 870?" That same peaceful negotiation with you often turns into ugly relationship killing fights later.
    Edit: and you can be the judge to steer the negotiation and the "loser" is less likely to be butthurt "because its was what dad/grandpa/uncle wanted."

Last edited:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I'll join the horde of guys who are in this phase of life. I too have more than I need. Already gave son what he wants. Got a few I'm thinking of moving on. If I go to safe and coon finger one that I havent shot in five years, its probably time to move it on. And by the way, I'm 72 and just dont have the fire to shoot as much anymore.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Don't know if you reload, but you can cover a lot of squares with a good 357 magnum revolver and lever gun. A small 38 special for light carry and a 22 lr rifle to round it out.
    I’ve thought of that but I do not reload. The cost of 38/357 ammo is just about double that of 9mm.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Allot of good info here and I appreciate knowing I am not the only one who has thought of this. Years ago I had different thoughts about what to own.

Jury is still out. I‘m not in any hurry and do not want to make a decision I’ll regret.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We are swimming in all varieties of 9mm pistols, along with cartridges that are advertised to be effective for every need. No need for .380, as if there ever was for people in the know. :twocents:;)

Hollywood and YouTube has so glamourized revolvers and lever guns that prices are inordinately high. Sell all of them, while they are hot, along with ammo and components.

The rest of your collection is solid. Even with room for a .308 bolt gun, which everyone should have. :)

:cool:

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    And what you do keep, be up front with your heirs. My wife's grandparents did this. Have them tell you now what they want when you are gone. Even if its not guns. It can be a pocket knife, or journals. Or photos. Make a list. Use post-its. Whatever. Put their names on it now to avoid (or at least reduce) conflict later. Maybe it will even spark a peaceful debate now that can be resolved now. They are FAR less likely to have actual fights in front of you if they are allowed to bargain for what they want now with your help. "I want the 870 too. If you take the Winchester and the Rough Rider, can I have the 870?" That same peaceful negotiation with you often turns into ugly relationship killing fights later.
    Edit: and you can be the judge to steer the negotiation and the "loser" is less likely to be butthurt "because its was what dad/grandpa/uncle wanted."
    A will, a few Trusts and the smalls get notes attached to them if they are being stored. Things on the walls and shelves get notes on the bottom or in the back. All of it and my older brothers gear go to my sons. They are well aware of whats already been given to them and whats coming down the road.
    I'll be 65 in Aug, my sons are 23 and 25, neither are married nor have any children.
    I'm still im a buying mode, It dosent look like its going to change anytime soon.

Dear Baby Jesus, how many Dillon presses are to many?

Crap. I want to be at my own auction.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm thinking along the same lines... but I haven't started thinning the hear yet. When I sell something, it's normally because I'm short on money... also a factor when you're getting old, and living on VA disability. If I were to get to it in earnest, I'd still want to keep a few. I don't think I could go down to just 1 or 2. I could probably go down to maybe 5 or 6...

... unless I HAD to, like it was some SHTF emergency, and I was bugging out on foot with only what I could carry.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Completely an individual question. But IMO stick with the most popular calibers: 22LR, .223, 9mm, 12g. That way you have one rifle, one pistol, one plinker (rifle and/or pistol) and one shotgun. And when ammo shortages come again, these rounds are more likely to still be found at less-inflated prices than the less common rounds.

Top Bottom