• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Looking at my first hunting knife. Main use this year will be field dressing deer if I am lucky enough to get one. Been looking around on the web and have read where a 3-4 inch blade is the best.

Chuckhawks suggests the buck 102 woodsman. I also read more than one guy suggest the buck alpha and mini alpha hunter knives.

ONe knife that caught my eye was the gerber Wallowa stag drop point. I saw those on the web for 30.00.

Any opinions on these I mentioned or another. prob wanting to stay around 50.00 or lower.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Bucks you mention would fit the bill (as would the 110 folder), are made in the USA, and have a lifetime warranty. I like the Bucks as hunting knives.

The Gerber Wallowa is made in China (at least the ones that Dick's carries) if that matters to you.

But really, as long as the blade profile is conducive to hunting tasks and it will hold a good edge, that's all you need. Hunting isn't an extremely demanding knife application, imo.

What type of hunting are you talking about? An optimal knife for field dressing a deer might be different than an optimal knife for cleaning upland birds.

It's kind of funny how we overanalyze everything nowadays. My grandad just had one basic "huntin' knife" (a Marbles) that he used for everything. Was it the best for every task? No. Did it work? Yup.

Seems to me I even saw him field dress a deer with just a pocket knife once.

Here's an article:
    Hunting Knives

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I like either one of these sets. Both do a great job on small to mid-sized game.

6jgeqh.jpg

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Lots of good knives out there for the job. I dress several deer every year, and my favorite is the Buck Vanguard. Perfect shape and razor sharp! Good luck!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    good steel, good grippy handle material, a pronounced guard (to save the dread choke up slip) and a QUALITY sheath. probly in that order.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Years ago I bought a Case XX Changer that came with a saw, two blades, & a guthook. It's a great little kit that I bought it before ever gutting a deer and I've been very happy with it. The problem with any folding knife is getting all the junk out of all the parts after you've used it.

This year I hope to use a fixed blade knife if I get lucky enough to get a deer just to try something different.

I am also considering buying a Columbia River Ringer guthook, just because it looks like it's got everything I want/need in a small easily cleanable package.

Top Bottom