• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Current spot, 2nd day of gun..........had a truck driving field edge, beeping horn.
    Guy shot a deer 2 properties over and needed help loading it.

Yes, around 11 am this fool was doing this.

Buddy helped him load the doe. Kinda squirrelly deal (prev post edit).
    Not going to play good neighbor next time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is there reason to belive the neighbors will be shooting at your house or property?

No offense to the OP, but often it's assumed by rural novices that hunters/shooters have no understanding of safety at all.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL, family members owned a low thicket off to the side of house.
    While summer painting they found a couple bullet holes.
    Once while inside a deer slug hit the window casing and slid in dining room carpet to kitchen.

Dunno who shot the house, 3 times..........wasn't the hunters that had permission though.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Wanted to see if you all could help me with a question. I have a residence and small 2.5 acre wooded area that buts up to a neighbors woods that is very large. Both our families hunt. Recently I've noticed them hunting during gun season right up on the property line. This puts them approximately 300 yards or less from my house with a clear line of sight across an open field. I completely support their right to be out there enjoying the sport on their own property, but feel their being so close to my residence presents a potential danger to my kids if they shoot in our direction and miss. I've tried to talk to them about the issue and have had no success. Is there any legal ground I can stand on at all? I know some states have legal limits concerning how close you can be to someone's house while hunting with a firearm. I don't believe Indiana has any. I'm not really a fan of non-sence laws, but feel my concerns have some real merrit given the situation

I'm a little confused. Gun season for deer does not come in until November 17th...I believe...so if they are "recently" hunting during gun season, what are they hunting? If it is rabbits or squirrels and they are using shotguns, 300 yards is a long ways away. No extreme danger there.

Rabbits run very close to the ground, so no chance of harm there. Hopefully they would have enough sense not to shoot up in the air towards your house at a squirrel. Although a few years ago I was burning the trash, heard shots, then shortly there after heard pellets hitting the grass all around me. I was not very happy and started yelling, "Check your fire" several times, very loud.

Last edited:

jmastffp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    Cicero
    Yeah... I think that's a splendid idea. A good friend of mine suggested the same thing. Funny how this situation can work in my favor as well.

jmastffp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    Cicero
    Yeah... I think that's a splendid idea. A good friend of mine suggested the same thing. Funny how this situation can work in my favor as well. You guys are absolutely hilarious by the way

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I know a guy who had such problems and a few days before season he spread moth balls on his side of the property line. I'm not endorsing this, I'm not giving the guy's name, but he swears those hunters never shot a deer during the three or four years that he did it. The stands magically came down after several seasons. Technically this would be hunter harassment, so in doing this the risk is all on you.

I know another guy who hung a giant blue tarp on his side of the property line adjacent to a guy's stand as well. Again ... hunter harassment.

Another guy told me of the time he hung aluminum pie pans from trees on his side of the line adjacent to another guy's stand ... yep ... hunter harassment if caught doing so.

To my knowledge none of these guys were charged with anything, but in every instance I am told that stands came down. Probably not the most neighborly thing to do though.

When I bought my land, I had to have an encounter with a neighboring hunter who had his stand setup on the property line looking into my field. I walked up to the line while he was in the stand and introduced myself. I told him that if I caught him shooting a deer out of my field that the law would be involved. I told him if he shot one on his land and it then crossed onto mine that I expected a phone call and I would give him permission to go get it. He didn't like my directive, but a couple days later his stand was moved about 20 yards further from the line and facing away from my land. He still thinks I am a jerk, but I really don't care and we haven't had any problems since.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Never thought I would have this problem, but now I do. I hunt on my parent's land, the woods is maybe 2 acres the rest is farm ground. Driving down the road yesterday, I saw a ground blind out in the middle of the field on the property to the North. Driving by this morning, the ground blind is gone. Driving by this afternoon, I saw that the blind was still on the property to the north, but was right next to the woods.
    mwEqCPK.jpg
    [/IMG]
    It was close to dark when I took the picture, but the blind is to the left of the far right tree. It is right on the fence-row.

I did note that there is no orange on any side of the blind.

Like was said earlier, it's perfectly legal. It's a pure pisser though, because this is the only place I have to hunt deer.

I did go to Menards and pick up some orange no hunting/trespassing signs this evening. They will go up in the morning.

Here is a satellite view, the red arrow is where the blind is located:
    gOIFryM.png
    [/IMG]

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    You could be a jerk and drop a bunch of salt blocks within viewing distance of the stands. Put out a tripod feeder. Then wait and call. Jerk move. But if your first option of talking didn’t work, time to move to step 2 or 3. Or not. Just live with it.

If family safety is paramount and there is some level of uncertainty above which you’re comfortable, then do what you need to protect them. Extreme? Maybe. But it’s a personal decision and no one on the internet knows better than you.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Last year there was a blind actually tied to the fence between my neighbor and myself. He has 200+ acres and the blind is at the foot of my drive.

First thoughts were all bad but I didn't sweat it. Later I got a chance to talk with my neighbor, seems it was a guy from out west wanting to hunt. He got one, a real nice sized 8pt.

By the time you calculate the out of state tag, processing, lodging, transportation and the rest, he had almost $2000 in that deer.

I asked, "is he coming back?" The neighbor didn't seem to think so.

The local economy could use some more hunters with pockets like that. It was the next to the smallest buck we had around here that year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never thought I would have this problem, but now I do. I hunt on my parent's land, the woods is maybe 2 acres the rest is farm ground. Driving down the road yesterday, I saw a ground blind out in the middle of the field on the property to the North. Driving by this morning, the ground blind is gone. Driving by this afternoon, I saw that the blind was still on the property to the north, but was right next to the woods.
    mwEqCPK.jpg
    [/IMG]
    It was close to dark when I took the picture, but the blind is to the left of the far right tree. It is right on the fence-row.

I did note that there is no orange on any side of the blind.

Like was said earlier, it's perfectly legal. It's a pure pisser though, because this is the only place I have to hunt deer.

I did go to Menards and pick up some orange no hunting/trespassing signs this evening. They will go up in the morning.

Here is a satellite view, the red arrow is where the blind is located:
    gOIFryM.png
    [/IMG]

I would be setting up some plywood barriers along the known property line blocking this activity. Just knowing they were willing to send rounds into that area you will be in is a serious matter. Legal or not I would put a top to it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I would be setting up some plywood barriers along the known property line blocking this activity. Just knowing they were willing to send rounds into that area you will be in is a serious matter. Legal or not I would put a top to it.

CM, I know where you're a'goin, but you DON'T actually "know" that until the rounds are actually fired.

Having personally dealt with this, up-to-and-including involvement of the DNR, there truly is almost nothing that can be done until you can prove they DID, in fact, shoot across a legal boundary.

But that plywood idea is pretty good, provided it's a small area. If you had a bulldozer....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, I know where you're a'goin, but you DON'T actually "know" that until the rounds are actually fired.

Having personally dealt with this, up-to-and-including involvement of the DNR, there truly is almost nothing that can be done until you can prove they DID, in fact, shoot across a legal boundary.

But that plywood idea is pretty good, provided it's a small area. If you had a bulldozer....

I helped 2 people do this a few years ago. Put up some 4X8 light sheets and screw them to the trees. 3 usually covers any line of sight. And yes it can become a game when the dip ****s move the blind impervious to your intentions to stop this. A screw gun, box of screws and 3 sheets of 1/4" cheap plywood will set the tone.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have been known to put up a stand directly across the line from the ones pointing into our ground that are on the line. We also place a t-post with a no trespassing sign right on the line directly in front of stands on the neighboring property that are obviously hunting across the line. "No Trespassing/No Hunting/No Retrieving". I print them on my computer and laminate them and then we staple them to a piece of plywood mounted on the post. At one point, we had a total of 15 stands in the four parcels (five acres each) that border our property on the east side. That doesn't include the stand and blind that were on our southwest border. Those five acre parcels include the houses, etc. and each have maybe an acre or two of woods on the back of the parcel. One of those has three tree stands and a ground blind in that one acre area of woods.

We used to allow neighbors to retrieve. That stopped when all we were doing was walking with them to find their deer and our ground was getting so disturbed that we weren't getting any deer for our freezer. At least one neighbor is still pissed, but he is the reason we said no more, and he doesn't understand. He was a horrible shot and maimed several deer. Out of all the deer he shot, he recovered less than 50% the last year we allowed him to track them on our ground. He hunts his in-laws property now in another town because without being allowed access to our ground, it isn't possible for him to get deer. He has ten acres but always hunted our border.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I helped 2 people do this a few years ago. Put up some 4X8 light sheets and screw them to the trees. 3 usually covers any line of sight. And yes it can become a game when the dip ****s move the blind impervious to your intentions to stop this. A screw gun, box of screws and 3 sheets of 1/4" cheap plywood will set the tone.

Set the tone... hmm...

...set the tone.....

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Bo...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:5875772011

+

say...

A nice mix of Tupac, Bocelli, Pantera,..you get the idea.....

-Nate

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I know a guy who had such problems and a few days before season he spread moth balls on his side of the property line. I'm not endorsing this, I'm not giving the guy's name, but he swears those hunters never shot a deer during the three or four years that he did it. The stands magically came down after several seasons. Technically this would be hunter harassment, so in doing this the risk is all on you.

I know another guy who hung a giant blue tarp on his side of the property line adjacent to a guy's stand as well. Again ... hunter harassment.

Another guy told me of the time he hung aluminum pie pans from trees on his side of the line adjacent to another guy's stand ... yep ... hunter harassment if caught doing so.

To my knowledge none of these guys were charged with anything, but in every instance I am told that stands came down. Probably not the most neighborly thing to do though.

When I bought my land, I had to have an encounter with a neighboring hunter who had his stand setup on the property line looking into my field. I walked up to the line while he was in the stand and introduced myself. I told him that if I caught him shooting a deer out of my field that the law would be involved. I told him if he shot one on his land and it then crossed onto mine that I expected a phone call and I would give him permission to go get it. He didn't like my directive, but a couple days later his stand was moved about 20 yards further from the line and facing away from my land. He still thinks I am a jerk, but I really don't care and we haven't had any problems since.

Neither of those examples are hunter harassment. To be harassment the game has to be hunted and taken legally. Hunting over property that you do not have permission is trespassing and hunting is not legal.

We put up a tarp next to an illegal stand our dipsh!t neighbor built 1 ft from the property line. His property is a jumble of thickets that you cannot see 10 feet into. Our property is open hardwood forest sloping gently uphill from his stand. You tell me where he was "hunting"?

Even had the warden over to investigate and told him we were putting up a tarp to discourage him shooting on property he didn't and wouldn't receive permission to hunt.

Put up tarp 2 days before season opener just to make sure he didn't have a clue. Next year he moved the permanent stand about 10 feet off the property line and cut shooting lanes through his thickets. But the tarp stayed.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    I like the idea about the tarp and the mothballs. With a slingshot you could disperse them any place you wanted to.[mothballs] My neighbor has 3 stands right on the property line, I think I will try this out.

Top Bottom