• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    We are considering moving/building a home and I will be looking for lots that are pretty rural. One reason is I hope to set up a range so that I can go shooting whenever I want. But, to do that I have to ensure that I am outside any city limits.

Is there an easy way to check for stuff like this online? Id love to just be able to put in a zip code and/or the address of a property and see all of that info.

Also, any tips in where or how to find good lots or any special tips or tricks that I can use or something special that I should ask about or just stories about how you looked for and bought land or built your own ranges are welcome!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You can usually find maps on the county/city/town website. If you are lucky, you can also find planning maps that may show FUTURE zoning info.

Google maps (Google Earth) is pretty good, but not always exact.

The best I have found is:
    Beacon Home

You can select your county, and then "show map", and double-click to zoom.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cathy's right. You should be able to find them online. Check online with your local surveyors office, too. They might have maps posted. Township office, too. If not drop into your local township office and see if they've got a map.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I am accessing maps online .. I use Google mostly .. but if I put in an address I don't see much outside of county lines. Those are the easy ones.. I'd really like to find city limits.

I found that If I put in just Greenfield, IN it shows the city and a dotted line around it which I am guessing may be the city limits. But that doesn't work for Indy.. however, it does work for townships.

Which doesn't really help me too much. I live in a township but my address is still Indianapolis so they have final say or ordinances and all that.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Also, it looks like there are areas that overlap .. like with Warren and Cumberland .. and I still dont know how much of that Indy would control.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I am accessing maps online .. I use Google mostly .. but if I put in an address I don't see much outside of county lines. Those are the easy ones.. I'd really like to find city limits.

I found that If I put in just Greenfield, IN it shows the city and a dotted line around it which I am guessing may be the city limits. But that doesn't work for Indy.. however, it does work for townships.

Which doesn't really help me too much. I live in a township but my address is still Indianapolis so they have final say or ordinances and all that.

We all live in a township, each county has townships as well as towns, cities and so on. If you know the area you want to live in it should be easy to tell if you are outside city limits just by looking.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    City of Indianapolis, and Marion County are one in the same. The Marion County line, is also the City Limits of Indianapolis.

Top Bottom