• ...and so much more!
  • LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Mornin' all,

My next project gun is going to be an accurate rimfire rifle on a budget. I've settled on the Marlin 925 or it's successor the XT-22.
    925r.jpg

I'm planning to shoot at about 100yds to begin with, and will probably stretch it out after I get comfortable at that range, in like half a year.

I'm thinking about a 3-9x40 for that range, but may go a little higher (4-16?).

My question is, how much do the scope rings matter? Quite honestly, I do not know very much about setting up an accurate rig and haven't found anyone to really explain it well to me. I know that they are the basic interface between your point of aim and your point of impact, but I have no idea how much they can either hurt or help your shooting consistency.

I have seen rings for darn near $100, and have seen them for as cheap as $10. Where should I be landing for a rig like this, and why?

Thank you to anyone who responds in advance.
    ~LT

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    If your rifle's receiver is drilled and tapped, consider getting one of these:

Marlin 917, 982 Picatinny Rail Scope Mount: Evolution Gun Works Inc..

Then, most any decent set of Weaver/Picatinney rings will work. No more recoil than you'll be working with, you can probably get by with a set of rings on the lower side of the price scale, though. Think of it as building the most solid connection you can between the scope and rifle. The more rigid this connection is, the better luck you'll have on the range.

As a general rule, I usually end up with at least as much in the scope and mounts as I have in the rifle, and occasionally double that. In your case, you could quadruple it and still not be in too deep. :yesway:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Rings = Important

Rings are important. Installation is more important. It is possible to destroy your scope with misaligned rings. There are solutions, though. You can lap the rings which involves mounting them on the gun then using a lapping tool to make sure the holes are accurately aligned with each other. This prevents the rings from imparting uneven forces on the scope when they are tightened down. The easier solution is Burris Signature Zee rings with the plastic inserts. The inserts "self-align" as they are snugged, they do not mark the scope, and they don't twist or torque the scope tube. You can also get offset inserts to correct alignment issues built into the base or the gun itself. They're more spendy but worth every cent of it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Weaver base, Burris Signature Zee rings.

100 yds? A min of 12X and something with Adjustable Objective (AO) IMHO.

If you have a grooved receiver only, might want to look at the B Square 17025 bases.
    BQ17025.jpg

I ordered a set from Midway for my Marlin 780. Should be here tomorrow.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Rings and bases are vital. I own rings from 38 dollar-200 dollars. If you think about it everything that makes a scope accurate is protected. Everything that makes a rifle accurate is protected.

Rings and base's just hand out on their own. Rings equate more to the way a gun is handled than the caliber. For the extra 20 bucks buy quality once. If your going to be paritcularly rough on a gun buy the 100 dollar rings, but its not often somone needs the extra durability.

For me when I set up a personal rifle its about the process of elemination. If I miss I dont want to say "mabye it was the scope" or "mabye it was the rings" or mabye it was the base" I want to say "I messed up"

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For hunting/steel targets it wouldnt. If someone was trying to shoot benchrest type groups it would require over 4x.

Depends on the mission. If you are benchresting trying for the smallest group you can get then higher magnification (to a point) helps. If you are hunting then too high mag can hinder.

:draw:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I just have dove tail to picatinny conversion rail on the new XT22. 10 bucks, but we only use it for plinking. I guess if you buy a scope that costs more than the gun, you'll want expensive rings.

Top Bottom