• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Neighbor just had a forced break-in we believe today...between 10 and 5. This may not be the place, but does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for home alarm systems? I can't be here 24/7 and I am considering an alarm system.

Thank you.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    i disagree in just having a dog. i know atleast one house that had 2 or 3 dogs atleast 2 larger sized dogs (50+ lbs) that did not stop or attempt to stop the break in/theft.

security in layers. a dog is a great layer to it, but alarm and cameras should not be over looked.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We just recently had a report by a member who had a dog as alarm. Didn't work out as planned, as the criminals abused the dog with bricks, as I recall and still got in and robbed the house. Having a dog is fine, but an alarm that calls the cops, window coatings and good doors will serve you a lot better in the long run.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Neighbor just had a forced break-in we believe today...between 10 and 5. This may not be the place, but does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations for home alarm systems? I can't be here 24/7 and I am considering an alarm system.

Thank you.
    Also, FALSE alarms, cost money, ie, ticket..... Police, will get tired, of responding, to false alarms, and may, take their time, responding, when you really need it !!!!! JMHO.....:twocents:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    all my dealings with false alarms, where ever the alarm was, that location would get a phone call, if you answered and answered the security question and gave your name, that was all there was.. cops were not called.

false alarms should not detour you from an alarm.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I did research on security systems at the first of the year and came up with Simplisafe as being my best option for our house and budget.

It's a wireless DIY system that is very easy to setup and install. Took me about 20 minutes to install once I read the directions.

My custom system came with a base unit, keypad, 2 motion sensors, 3 window/door contacts and 2 key chain fobs that turn the alarm on and off remotely. You can add more items for you security needs if you need to.

All this for around $300.00 shipped to you. The system is yours once you buy it. There's no monitoring contracts with this company (another selling point in my eyes)

The base unit has the option of using a land line or cellular (same price for using either). Which was another selling point. I have read that if you live far from a larger city, you might have issues with the cellular part of it. I believe it uses the T-Mobile network.

The monthly monitoring fee (if you choose to get it) is $20.00 a month. And this is month to month.

Their customer service is good. I had some questions on how to customize some of my settings and they were great with walking me through how to do it.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have a system, it is monitored and has the normal panic-button operation along with contact switches, glass breaks, etc.

For me, it's worth the monthly cost to have the system call emergency services if the alarm is tripped when I'm away or otherwise engaged.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    i disagree in just having a dog. i know atleast one house that had 2 or 3 dogs atleast 2 larger sized dogs (50+ lbs) that did not stop or attempt to stop the break in/theft.

security in layers. a dog is a great layer to it, but alarm and cameras should not be over looked.

Depends on the dog. I have a 55lb mutt that has stopped two separate break ins. She pined one guy up against a tree and the other guy she pined against the neighbors house. She waits for me to call her off. The neighbor across the street has a pit bull that stood her ground while the robbers threw bricks at her through the broken out patio door. She held her ground until the police showed up and would not let them near the door either (that neighbor has an ADT alarm system).

Yes sir it depends on the dog.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    As others have chimed in. Home Security is about "layers" of security.

This is in no particular order
    1) Hardware for outside the house (camera, flood lights with motion detection)
    2) Adding torn bushed where the windows are for deterrence to entry
    3) Hardware for inside the house (motion detection)
    4) Adding security film to glass (windows, sliding doors) to make it much harder to break in
    5) Adding reinforcement to the doors frames so busting the door is harder
    6) Getting an animal (ie. dog)
    7) Getting a company to monitor the alarm system or go with a "auto-dialer" alarm system that calls you and allows you to see/hear what is going on so you then make a decision (ie. call the cops, it was the dog, your parents came over and let themselves in)
    8) Get a SAFE for your weapons and other valuables
    9) Have a backup (offsite) of your PC data
    Here are some links for you to read up on:
    This is the story of another member on INGO who's dog bot (BIG DOG!) got beat up with bricks and locked in a closet and the theifs stole from his house.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._robbed_neighbor_held_1_of_3_at_gunpoint.html

This is the add-on story about how he got 3M security film installed to be better prepared. I did too.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rity_film_installation_before_a_gun_safe.html

Here is a review on my home security system (DIY) which is an auto-dialer.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...home_security_system_pre_review_comments.html

It monitors my windows, doors and I also have it set up with my fire alarms to monitor for fire. I'm working on monitoring for water (ie. failed sump pump) as well. The downside to my system is it can NOT be monitored by a 24/7 company since it's what they consider an auto-dialer. But then I don't have to pay a monthly fee.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Depends on the dog. I have a 55lb mutt that has stopped two separate break ins. She pined one guy up against a tree and the other guy she pined against the neighbors house. She waits for me to call her off. The neighbor across the street has a pit bull that stood her ground while the robbers threw bricks at her through the broken out patio door. She held her ground until the police showed up and would not let them near the door either (that neighbor has an ADT alarm system).

Yes sir it depends on the dog.

True and don't take this the wrong way TopDog but a simple bullet ($2 at most for say a 30-06) will take care of your dog if a thief really wants what you have. Yes a dog or two help but they like all the other security items I listed alone are not enough.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I have a GE Simon system that I installed myself. It has lots of features and doesn't cost a fortune. It can be monitored by a service and or call multiple other phone numbers. I also have outside sirens an strobe lights on mine to notify the neighbors.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Get a good Dog! Cheaper than an alarm system, and an alarm system can't be happy to see you when you get home! :)

Through experience, dogs don't work in most cases. Also, many break ins are from known individuals who can bribe the dog quickly. Most outside dogs bark at everything and no one pays them any attention after awhile. Do what you want but technology works better in a court of law.

You might be able to train a dog to say I love you but the judge won't find it amusing. :):

Why ? No evidence, not credible, etc.

An alarm that signals a monitoring service is good but there must be a capture involved to file charges, prosecution, etc. The piece of **** will be out in 30 days anyway and don't expect the cops to respond in time.

Hire an armed guard and split the cost among your immediate neighbors and
    you will be much father ahead then relying on cops. This is where we are headed if things don't get better.

Also think about recorded surveillance. Radio Shack sells some decent wireless system with digital recording, etc. If you have an old VHS machine laying around, you can buy a single camera for 50 bucks and record up to 8 hours or buy a looping tape if they still make them. They are remarkably clear even in darkness.

Good locks and good evidence, just in case. A gun can't shoot by itself when you are away but a camera can.

You need evidence to prove anything otherwise the cops will just yawn.

It's gonna get worse. We all need to think about home security when we are away. It sucks but I've been thru it and it was from a "known" individual. :noway:

What better way to case a house then to be invited in.

Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great feedback, as always, from INGO - I very much appreciate all of the different approaches and feel much better about my options. And yes, I think things will get worse, maybe much worse, before they get better. Semper Fi all!

schhrdkncks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio county Indiana
    I have brinks/adt with glass break, contact switches, and motion detectors, My alarms system also uses cell towers instead of the land line so it cant be cut and we have had some false alarms where someone was dispatched when we were not here(long story) and we were never billed for it. We also have two dogs and I have large safes. I highly recommend getting a system along.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I live near Louisville in southern Indiana. I have a home sercurity system by CSR Security. I bought the equipment up front. They istalled it and it is monitored 24-7 for 14.95 a month. One benefit of a security system not to overlook is fire protection. If your smoke detector goes off and you are not home to hear it will result in loosing your home. With a monitored system, they will call the frie department. Something to think about.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I live near Louisville in southern Indiana. I have a home sercurity system by CSR Security. I bought the equipment up front. They istalled it and it is monitored 24-7 for 14.95 a month. One benefit of a security system not to overlook is fire protection. If your smoke detector goes off and you are not home to hear it will result in loosing your home. With a monitored system, they will call the frie department. Something to think about.

True da! Actually any home security system (the auto-dailers that call you or the monitored ones via a company) can do fire and water monitoring as well.

Top Bottom