Hey Greek Geeks can you tell me what this says?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Can anyone tell me what the top line on this patch says?
    I know what the bottom says Molon Labe "come and take them".
    What I am unable to determine by internet research is what the top line says.
    I suspect it might be something like, "carry your shield or come home on it".
    Thanks in advance if anyone knows what this says...

ML_zpsq4hoktrt.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Nearest I can get dinking with Google is The (something) Sparta, but that's far from claiming I'm some kind of expert.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ is translated as "Come home with your shield or on it." <http://havokjournal.com/politics/come-back-shield-just-leave-behind-yemen/>. But the inscription on the medallion in the OP does not look to be the same.

"Come back with your shield - or on it" (Plutarch, Mor.241) was supposed to be the parting cry of mothers to their sons. Mothers whose sons died in battle openly rejoiced, mothers whose sons survived hung their heads in shame.
    Asked why it was dishonorable to return without a shield and not without a helmet, the Spartan king, Demaratos (510 - 491) is said to have replied: "Because the latter they put on for their own protection, but the shield for the common good of all." (Plutarch, Mor.220) <http://www.pbs.org/empires/thegreeks/background/8c_p1.html>.

The text on the medallion appears to be th ebrawe Sparta. The last word may refer to Sparta.

My research and consultation with another who handles Koine Greek far better than I offers two possibilities. First, it may be a reference to "The brave Spartans" or "Sparta the Brave". This fits with the inscription at the bottom of the medallion.

The second possibility suggests it refers to "the Hebrews of Sparta."

I prefer the first possibility because it fits the context.

Waiting for the experts to offer further insights.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    It doesn't look like Greek. It looks more like a transliteration of English into Greek.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I appreciate all the input from the INGO brain trust. Unless someone else knows for sure what it is, I am going to go with: Sparta the Brave. At least until someone can definatly tell me otherwise. Thanks again for all the input.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It doesn't look like Greek. It looks more like a transliteration of English into Greek.

After further reflection, I think you may be correct. There is one problem, though. Typing "the brave sparta" in a Greek font on an English keyboard yields a sigma instead of the omega for the English "v" in brave. If you use the "w" instead of the "v" (it looks like omega), it comes closer to what is given on the medallion. At least that is the way it works on my keyboard.

Bottom line, it looks like someone typed "the brawe sparta" and converted it to a Greek font.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The Brave o Sparta?

It looks like English in Greek font.

After further reflection, I think you may be correct. There is one problem, though. Typing "the brave sparta" in a Greek font on an English keyboard yields a sigma instead of the omega for the English "v" in brave. If you use the "w" instead of the "v" (it looks like omega), it comes closer to what is given on the medallion. At least that is the way it works on my keyboard.

Bottom line, it looks like someone typed "the brawe sparta" and converted it to a Greek font.

that is waaay easier than studying the language. I'm uploading this to LifeHack

Obviously I need to put my posts in bold or explain in more detail. :laugh6:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Tangentially related...very tangentially.

I was at an antique mall in Chesterton Saturday and my younger girl thinks old typewriters are neat, so se was searching them out, just for fun. She found this nice looking little, old Remington-Rand (maybe late '40s, early '50s), but she was very confused. It was Greek typewriter. very cool in my estimate.

...but as usual, I digress.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom