• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My dad, 84, missed deer season because he can't get his 270 sighted. He had a high dollar Leupold scope on it, he thought it was bad, sent it in for repairs, but nothing changed. He bought another scope, nothing fancy, and has the same problem. At 25yds, rifle is 6" high and 4" left, no matter what adjustments he makes. Bore sighting looks good, he says. His brother shot it, also, and same results.

He called me asking for advice (ME!! Of all peoples!). I told him that either the rings are bent/loose/misaligned, or the stock is warped. He had been living in the High Sierra desert since 1973, and moved back to Pennsylvania 2 years ago. I suggested he try the dollar bill trick to see if the barrel is still floating, and at least get the right size dowel and check the ring alignment. He should be able to get the dollar bill real darn close to the receiver.

Did I give decent advice, or should I call him back and tell him something better?

Thanks, y'all!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If it is off 6 and 4 inches from a bore sighting at 25 yards I can only think of one thing that would cause that.

Barrel must not be aligned with the receiver.

Is it a newer Remington? Does the open sights hit where aimed?
    The sights are on the barrel and the scope is on the receiver if they are not aligned then it will not sight in scoped but should be ok open sighted.
    Newer Remington rifles towards the end were not quality checked very well. In past years they would have not left the factory but o think quotas were introduced and lots left that should not.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If it is off 6 and 4 inches from a bore sighting at 25 yards I can only think of one thing that would cause that.

Barrel must not be aligned with the receiver.

Is it a newer Remington? Does the open sights hit where aimed?
    The sights are on the barrel and the scope is on the receiver if they are not aligned then it will not sight in scoped but should be ok open sighted.
    Newer Remington rifles towards the end were not quality checked very well. In past years they would have not left the factory but o think quotas were introduced and lots left that should not.
    No, it is an older one. He got it in the mid '80s. It worked well as is was, in California, before they moved. He brought his guns here for me to keep until after they finished the move, and it sat in my safe for 8 months or so. Don't see it getting damaged in transit, hard cases for all the guns, packed in the car well. He is a umm...errrrr....welll, lets just say he is a safe driver.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If it was OK before and now isnt, proly whatever was changed is the culprit.

Across two scopes suggests an issue w rings or bases, themselves mismachined or not installed correctly ( could be wrong ones too ).

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    If it was OK before and now isnt, proly whatever was changed is the culprit.

Across two scopes suggests an issue w rings or bases, themselves mismachined or not installed correctly ( could be wrong ones too ).
    That's just it, nothing was changed and it could not be adjusted. He lived in California, High Sierra desert, Bridgeport (the one in the mountains, not down on the coast or valley). Had it for years, used it for a guided elk hunt (got one), then after being in northwest Pennsylvania for about 3 years it won't zero. He only got the new scope because he thought the old one was defective.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have dropped guns on the scope a few times. I dented a bell long ago. (26 years ago) guess I have been lucky as I have always had them still on target at 100 at least. (8 inch target. ) run over one shotgun with a car tire.

Please keep us informed on what the solution to the issues ends up being. Hmmm

Now I have had some issues with accuracy in the past. Mainly bullets either tumbling or not the correct size for my barrel.(marlin 44 mag) one contender rifle barrel bought used in 45-70 that never shot right. But none of these throw 6right 4 up bore sighted at 25 yards.

Biggabe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Hardinsburg
    The first thing I would check is to see if the barrel is floated. If it is not I would have it floated. Also I would check the bedding. Chances the wood (I'm assuming it is wood) has changed over the years and is affecting the barreled action as far as accuracy goes. The barrel could be severely fouled as well. Are the action screws tight? If they are put your thumb on the top of the forend close to the end touching both barrel and forend. If you can feel movement when you loosen and tighten the front action screw chances are your problem is in the bedding.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If the scope runs out of adjustment at 6" and 4" at 25, something is either way out of line or mis-machined. If the scope adjustments aren't moving when you twist the turrets, that is an entirely different problem.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Other than the scope issues you may have identified, I'd suggest two other obvious problems:

1) the crown is damaged

2) copper or lead fouling near the muzzle

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks to all who replied.

My dad took it to a local gunsmith. That guy said he has never seen such a warped stock. He put the time and effort in to free floating the barrel again, boresighted it for my dad, and didn't charge for the work. My dad has not shot it since he got it back. If it is still not right, I am suggesting a nice new Boyds laminate stock.

Top Bottom