• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Is there anything wrong with just painting over the concrete walls? They are poured not blocks. My walls do not get wet as best I know. Not trying to make it fancy, just a area the kids can go and play pool, cards, etc…the floors are covered in foam snap tiles since after enough rain my floors can get a little wet in some spots.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have you considered painting it ALL in Drylok paint? Including the floor? (put the foam back afterward)
    I used it on my garage foundation blocks and it is great. (our 1st floor is 5' below grade) They would get damp and make the garage smell funny. Now, not a bit.

The only warning I noticed is you do NOT want to sand that stuff. Its full of silica, and if you sand it dry you could develop silicosis due to breathing in the silica dust kicked up. But not something you'd have to worry about now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and instead of the foam, which could get wet and mold, have you considered dricore panels?

Might not need these if the Drylok works.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I don’t have a problem with the Drylok on the walls but I think I have some crushed drain tile around the house and after a day or 2 of heavy rain it literally pushes up though the floor. Like it moves around sometimes but it never comes from by the walls. Always in the middle of somewhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bear in mind I'm not an expert, but only working off my own experience.

Our garage floor used to get SOAKED when we first bought it. It had a termite issue that was successfully resolved prior to sale.
    They drilled around the slab edges in the garage to inject poison. But they didnt refill the holes so in the spring when we would have a week of heavy rain I'd literally have water percolating up through the holes. The two holes they drilled next to the overhead door on the drive level approach (not on the elevated garage slab) would literally gush up 1/4" high like a fountain. Walls were fine. It wasnt a big deal because the water would always just run down out under the door and down the drive. but it was annoying because we couldnt put anything on the floors.

Then I used Hydraulic cement on the holes. Afterward, the walls started weeping, and water would ooze up through the hairline cracks around the slab where it didnt before.

That is why I said to use drylok on the walls. They arent wet now, but probably would get there once you mitigate the floors. That water wants to find some way to get out.

If it were me I'd follow these guidelines to seal the slab and drylok the walls since you want to paint them anyway.

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I'd have to vote for the Drylok Extreme.
    If I'm doing something like basement walls, I'm not aiming for "just get by".

This type of thing always kind of freaks me out. Water can do so much damage, over time.
    Hit it early, hit it hard and take no prisoners, when dealing with moisture issues.
    Ignore water problems at your own peril.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Best way to stop water, is the hardest way. At least in my opinion.

Dig around the perimeter of the house.
    Seal the outside walls.
    Put down rock and drainage to a sump.
    Pump the sump.
    Put dirt back. And angle it so the water runs away from the house.

Water wants to go somewhere.
    Give it somewhere to go.

Keep in mind, I am not an expert.
    So, my advice is... to be taken with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom