• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    my left rear rotor has a groove in the middle and there is an odd grinding noise when applying brakes. I think i have debris between rotor and pad. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to clear debris from between the rotor and pad without disassemby....I'm not very car savvy.

This is a recent thing and haven't done anything with brakes or tire etc...just seems like a pebble or other debris??????

I appreciate any help on this.

john

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Highly doubt it's any kind of debris, since it would be nearly impossible for anything to get between the pad and the rotor in the first place. Sounds like the pads are shot, but that's an interweb diagnosis, take it for what it's worth.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Start by removing the tire and and checking for anything that would be obviously doesn't look in place.

I am with ichokepeople I would bet worn pad before debris. if you are not a cary savy person I would suggest taking to a shop or having a knowledge friend go through the brakes with you.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I work on cars for a living. I'd say take the wheel off. Take a screwdriver or small prybar and try and pry the piston back to make some space between the pad and rotor. Then spray some brake clean down in there and see what that does. I rarely see something in between the pad and rotor to make a groove like that unless your pads are worn super low.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    You need to change your brake pads like yesterday dude! That grinding sound is your brake pad worn down to the metal. If you let it go too long(which you may already have) you may need new rotors.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    It really doesn't matter if there is something caught in there or not. If its scored deep enough for you to easily see it from a distance, the rotor and pads will need to be replaced regardless.

Last edited:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Curious as to what u found. Debris is unlikely. Brakes that are too thin is probably the culprit. But it's not as simple as slapping new pads in like most people think. If u do it, do it right. Turn the rotors or replace them is highly recommended, but at a minimum clean and relube the slides to prevent any problems again. Slides let the caliper move back and forth centering it over the rotor. No sliding, then the brakes will drag and chew up 1 of the pads. What I'm getting at is don't get too skimpy on brakes. Thats what keeps you safest after all.

So, whatcha find?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    For sure you need brakes done. New pads and probably a new rotor too by now. That grinding sound you hear is the sound you get when your pads are too thin and the rivets / backing plate are grinding on the rotor, resulting in gouging like you see.

I spent the years 1985-1994 working in garages, doing alignments and brakes for much of that time.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I'm not sure what kind of car you have or where you got the brakes, But as a tech I would say your problem is cheap brake pads, semi-metallic pads have a high concentrate of brass/copper/bronze mixed in with the pad material, this is used primarily to dissipate heat and stop "brake fade"
    If the groove is in the rotor it is more than likely a unmelted piece of steel in the rotor, I see this a lot with the cheap chinese pads and rotors out there.
    Either way get yourself some new pads and rotors.. Don't skimp on this, buy the best you can afford, remember the stopping distance between excellent and good brake pads is about 30 feet.
    Ceramic pads are great as they do not suffer "brake fade" and remember to check the brake hoses for cracks or soft lines and change the brake fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage.
    Hope this helped

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom