• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I have been an avid muzzleloader hunter for quite a few years. Over the years i have owned probably a dozen or more muzzleloaders. In hopes of always improving I continued trying to upgrade to the next best thing. Here are a few of the ones i have owned and the reasons I sold them and moved on. I started out back in the early 1990's with cva. the reliability of mine were subpar until the 209 primers came onto the scene. Fast forward to the Savage MLii smokeless. Absolutely loved the gun and the high quality materials used on the gun. The only issue with it was the way it fit me and its slight blockyness. i hunted with it regaurdless and took quite a few deer with it. It held up very well to all weather conditions. Meanwhile i picked up a TC Encore in an early years vintage model and it fit nearly perfect. Accuracy was quite decent but the trigger was a little cheap feeling so i upgraded to a newer model. It worked out pretty well but after one year of having the new gun in the field i started getting rust all over this stainless gun. TC does have an excellent customer service department but they felt it was within thier specs and it does happen. Mind you I take excellent care of my firearms. I figured i would try one more and took the plunge on a new fully loaded stainless TC pro hunter Endeavor as it was supposed to have the best of all TC had to offer. Well after less than one season in the field it too started showing rust. And for the fans of TC firearms reading this please dont start critisizing the post as I am not trying to put down TC but the quality of materials they are using has declined. With that said, i used my father in laws triumph some last year to see how i liked it. It had the weather shield on it and was the blued look version of the gun. With close inspection of the gun I can see what appears to be small bubbles and rust forming what appeared to be under the weather shield i guess. There lies my dilema. I have really liked the TC products to a point but think it is time to start looking for something new to try. A friend showed me his CVA accura v2 with the bergara barrel and it look superb. Even with my eyes i found it flawless. He then told me how bad it had been beaten through the season and i was suprised. I have also heard that Knight is back in the biz. Always heard good things about them. I am really looking to hear some input on some other great ML that I have been over looking all these years. I plan to buy one in the next month or so and would like to keep it under $1000 for the gun alone but really would like high quality.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    it seams like you have tried the top of the heap. i hunt with a prohunter. i upgraded to a bellm tc trigger wich made a huge diffrence. like you i have tried them all and love my prohunter. i hunt rain or shine and can see no signs of rust on mine.

not alot of help i know

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    How about a Traditions Pursuit.... 50cal camo stock, BDC reticle already doped at 110 and 220 with open sights at 50. Comes with tons of ammo and all the cleaning accessories?

$250 :D

fornick33.jpg

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I have a CVA Optima Elite and love it. It has a bergera fluted barrel and you can switch out to center fire barrels also. I think they may have discontinued them when the Accura V2 came out. But it's pretty much the same gun the way I understand it with a different stock. I've had mine for going on 5 years now and absolutely no complaints in the ML or the rifle barrel. You should give CVA another try IMHO.

May 13, 2011
    Fishers
    I have an older model of Knight muzzleloader and couldn't be happier. I have been looking for the "long range hunter" they were making right before shutting the doors. Not sure now that they have reopened, but it could be like Ithica...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    T/C

Ithaca...

FIFY

I've had a blued Encore for a couple of years and no complaints. I had one of their stainless in-lines b4 that. If yours are showing rust, either you're storing them in a humid environment or you aren't getting them completely dry when you clean them, I suspect. I always finish rinse with boiling water then use a hair frier til th bbl's too hot to touch barehanded. Then it gets stored with the bbl swabbed with a little bore butter in one of my gun safes in my basement.( HVAC conditioned space with poured walls.)

hope you find one you like!:yesway:

movevio

Plinker
    Jul 10, 2008
    i shoot a traditions pursuit pro with a omega scope. their nickel coating it tough as hell and i haven't had a single problem out of it. looks good and shoots great

Top Bottom