• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm heading to KY for another 10k Run-n-Gun at the end of Feb & need help figuring out what gun to shoot.

I keep waffling but am signed up for iron sights only class. I have a few long guns to pick from and need INGO help.

A little background on this event 1st. It's a 10k biathlon run through the KY woods. You carry all the gear to complete the match (center fire rifle & pistol, ammo, water, snack, pack, battle belt, nav gear/compass, etc). There are at least 6 shooting stages, some with obstacles like move a ~180# rescue Randy dummy behind cover, move heavy ammo boxes, a fully crawl/climb obstacle course, etc. Maximum range at this event will be 300 yards. KY weather in Feb has been a warm 60+ down to 12 degrees. Rain, sun and total mud. You need to be ready for all weather conditions.

I'm sticking to a semi-auto because I don't want to be dead last but I do want to have fun. My long gun choices are:
    Colt 20" A2
    M1 Garand
    M1A Springfield
    M1 Carbine
    8.5" 300BLK AR15 style SBR

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm heading to KY for another 10k Run-n-Gun at the end of Feb & need help figuring out what gun to shoot.

I keep waffling but am signed up for iron sights only class. I have a few long guns to pick from and need INGO help.

A little background on this event 1st. It's a 10k biathlon run through the KY woods. You carry all the gear to complete the match (center fire rifle & pistol, ammo, water, snack, pack, battle belt, nav gear/compass, etc). There are at least 6 shooting stages, some with obstacles like move a ~180# rescue Randy dummy behind cover, move heavy ammo boxes, a fully crawl/climb obstacle course, etc. Maximum range at this event will be 300 yards. KY weather in Feb has been a warm 60+ down to 12 degrees. Rain, sun and total mud. You need to be ready for all weather conditions.

I'm sticking to a semi-auto because I don't want to be dead last but I do want to have fun. My long gun choices are:
    Colt 20" A2
    M1 Garand
    M1A Springfield
    M1 Carbine
    8.5" 300BLK AR15 style SBR

I wouldn’t want to drag my Garand out in nasty weather. M1 carbine and 300 BLK isn’t going to get you the distance very easily.

I would go with the 20” A2 or M1A.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    300 blk would get there but not fast. Lol. Alot of elevation. If you shoot some supersonic stuff may change it a little bit.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've whittled it down to my M1A.

*IF* this gun can hold ~2 MOA.

The heavy scope and mount have been removed & it's mounted into a flimsy composite Springfield stock. Accuracy will surely suffer, but weight unloaded is down to 9#.

2nd choice is the SBR with supersonic ammo. Sights are worse (short radius), but any stage with a v-tac board will be easier.

It's just a game right?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My M1A in the plastic stock shot poorly.
    The Noveske 9" 300BLK upper was doing much better & is what I'll carry for this match.

I didn't see much difference between 125 & 140gr. Both are supersonic with similar accuracy & zero. My suppressor is heavy + that weight is at the wrong place for quick transition shots. Everyone is required to wear ears anyway.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Any kind of 9 pound rifle sounds like preparing to finish well back. I guess you have to decide whether it's a ruck march, or something where you actually want a decent finish time.

If I were doing this with irons, I'd want the lightest aperture-sighted rifle with the flattest trajectory possible.

It sounds like a plain old .223 AR-15 would be perfect.

From the choices given, it sounds like you might be making gun selection too hard?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm no youngun Hawkeye! :fogey:

I'm torn between taking something effective vs tearing up my guns. Not that I have any, but these events aren't for safe queens.

Here's an after event pic of my kit 2021!
    Heartbreak2021.jpg

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Jimmy did another great video after Heartbreak RnG 2023.

These events are my new addiction, and the perfect "minute man, let's see what you & your gear" can endure training scenarios.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    HOP is not young!

But he is in great shape. Great job HOP!

The events are based on the Battle March and Shoot training. It will ensure your ”kit” works and can make it in the real world.

You also get to stress fire with heart rate up and far from perfect breath control.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Hearbreak is once per year in Feb. It's one of the premier RnG events and sells out in a matter of minutes every year.

There are other premier events too though.
    Legion 9/11 is a fund raiser RnG event in Sept to help raise $ for Gold Star families. It sells out in minutes as well but now has ~4 categories across two days.
    Run for your Life Zombie 2023 will be in Oct/Nov in Cross Timbers MO (Lucas Oil Cattle Ranch). It's also a fund raiser for "Protect the Harvest". Raising $ to help farmers & ranchers with legal issues.

The best way to keep track of these events is to join the Facebook group: RnG Discussion

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    As a non-facetwitcher I found this site which was helpful:

I was a bit surprised to see how few of these events occur, and that there aren't many (any?) low-key/entry level events.
    Course, I'm also learning that finding simple hiking/rucking events or groups isn't as easy as I thought either.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As a non-facetwitcher I found this site which was helpful:

I was a bit surprised to see how few of these events occur, and that there aren't many (any?) low-key/entry level events.
    Course, I'm also learning that finding simple hiking/rucking events or groups isn't as easy as I thought either.
    The gunrun events are popular.

There's several night matches too. I ran the Legion 9/11 night 5k (white light division) last Sept.

The only beginner events would be the 5k rimfire match at Zombie in MO. or the 5k Battle road biathlon by Revere's Riders.
    Revere's might have a 5k later this summer. We're still working out the details.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've always wanted to hold a summer biathlon, but could never work out the labor. Based on the winter skiing/shooting biathlon, but with running instead and your rifle already in the rack at the shooting line. What a great event for a college fraternity to run with proceeds to Wounded Warriors or similar organization.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've always wanted to hold a summer biathlon, but could never work out the labor. Based on the winter skiing/shooting biathlon, but with running instead and your rifle already in the rack at the shooting line. What a great event for a college fraternity to run with proceeds to Wounded Warriors or similar organization.

That's exactly how the Revere's Riders event is done. Our insurance doesn't allow for multiple people running with rifles at the same time. RR has shooters leave the rifle at the shooting mat. We do 3 positions at 3 different sized targets. Standing, seated & prone positions (only 15 shots total). A miss means you do a short penalty lap.

Run fast with a high heart rate & miss a shot? You'll get passed by a slower runner who hit all 5 and didn't run that penalty lap.

Top Bottom