HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I don't know why you guys want to carry some heavy boomstick into the woods. This year, it's hands-free for me: Glock 27. Walk to the stand, put the Big Dot on the vitals, and load up the truck. I figure I'm good out to about 120 yards with it. No reason to carry something heavy on a sling and get it all scratched up. Now, I finally have a hand free to carry my thermos of hot coffee and Bushmills.

Thanks, legislature!

I'm planning on filling my tags during archery this year :)

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm hoping its an non-issue as well. Nothing would make me happier than to spend a few hundred $$ on a new rifle then shoot all the deer I need with my bow.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You run too close to the line, expect to go to court to explain it.
    There is no regular recourse for a bogus ticket.
    One can be 100% legal and still have to play the game.
    Mistakes and or BS happens.
    If it happens more than once you proly should go Federal complaint to stop the hassle.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    You're opinion is noted and again I say, please read carefully and it will come to you. Again professional on a closed course, don't try this at home. :rockwoot:
    There is nothing particularly hard about necking brass up or down, that doesn't make you a "professional". A condescending attitude towards those of us with far more experience than you makes me think you're not a professional. And not understanding simple English makes me know you're not a professional.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    There is nothing particularly hard about necking brass up or down, that doesn't make you a "professional". A condescending attitude towards those of us with far more experience than you makes me think you're not a professional. And not understanding simple English makes me know you're not a professional.

The funny thing is that he is picking an internet fight (because we all know the internet makes people badass) with someone who is a professional and does do this for a living...

Varmint Killer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    Brazil
    The Department of Natural Resources has received numerous questions regarding recent legislation that legalizes certain rifles for deer hunting beginning later this year. Most questions have to do with calibers and cartridges allowed under the new law.

House Enrolled Act 1231 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used only on private land during the firearms season.

The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield. Additional requirements are:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

Rifles with pistol cartridges that have been allowed in previous years may still be used to hunt deer on both private and public land.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .270 Winchester, .38-55 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

HEA 1231 is scheduled to expire after the 2020 deer season, at which time the DNR will submit an impact report to the Governor and the General Assembly.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The Department of Natural Resources has received numerous questions regarding recent legislation that legalizes certain rifles for deer hunting beginning later this year. Most questions have to do with calibers and cartridges allowed under the new law.

House Enrolled Act 1231 that was passed earlier this year by the Indiana General Assembly allows some additional rifle cartridges to be used only on private land during the firearms season.

The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield. Additional requirements are:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    • The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    o .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    o .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    • No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester)
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field

Rifles with pistol cartridges that have been allowed in previous years may still be used to hunt deer on both private and public land.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .270 Winchester, .38-55 Winchester, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

HEA 1231 is scheduled to expire after the 2020 deer season, at which time the DNR will submit an impact report to the Governor and the General Assembly.
    '

Source?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I find the lack of 6.8 SPC disturbing...
    :starwars:

To condense it to as few parameters as possible, this recent clarification legalizes anything with either a .243 or .308 diameter bullet with a minimum case length of 1.16".
    This is the best possible interpretation of HR1231 as written that anyone could every hope to get.
    Give it time, and after the impact statement from DNR that will show that there really were no adverse consequences from it, they'll almost certainly amend it by opening it up to everything with at least a .243 diameter bullet and a minimum case length of 1.16", with no restriction on bullet diameter, freeing up your 6.8 SPC, 7mm Remington Magnum,.45-70, or any other standard rifle caliber.
    In the meantime, either select a different rifle from your battery, or find a buddy with one one of the calibers finally defined as legal for the next few years until the DNR report.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    So if I understand all this right, and sorry if its been asked but 82 pages is a lot to read, but I can use either my Mosin or an AK as long as its not standard steel ammo, it must be some sort of hollow point or soft lead ammo. Am I understand this correctly?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    So if I understand all this right, and sorry if its been asked but 82 pages is a lot to read, but I can use either my Mosin or an AK as long as its not standard steel ammo, it must be some sort of hollow point or soft lead ammo. Am I understand this correctly?

If they are 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R (both of which are approved per DNR's clarification), you use a non-FMJ bullet, and have no more than 10 rounds on your person while in the deer woods...then yes.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    One can only hope bright minds prevail and that absurdity is tossed.

I'm assuming the .243 minimum is due to the fact that nearly all ammo for the multitude of rifles with .224 diameter bores uses either FMJ or varmint bullets.
    There are probably a few others out there that would also be suitable for deer, but a cursory check from me indicates that only the Nosler Partition and Barnes TSX in that caliber would be acceptable for deer.
    Not saying that you can't kill a deer with a varmint bullet, but no one who understands bullet dynamics would consider using a bullet designed to fragment upon impact for that application.

Top Bottom