7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Indiana General Assembly

House Bill 1068

[SIZE=+1]2010 2nd Regular Session[/SIZE]

Latest Information

DIGEST OF HB1068 (Updated February 18, 2010 3:41 pm - DI 84)​

Access to handgun license information. Provides that, for purposes of the law concerning access to public records: (1) information submitted by a person to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun; (2) information obtained by a federal, state, or local government entity in the course of an investigation concerning a person who applies to obtain or renew a license to carry a handgun; and (3) the name, address, and any other information that may be used to identify a person who holds a license to carry a handgun; is confidential, may not be published, and is not open to public inspection. Specifies that: (1) any information concerning an applicant for or a person who holds a license to carry a handgun may be released to a federal, state, or local government entity for law enforcement purposes or to determine the validity of a license to carry a handgun; or (2) general information concerning the issuance of licenses to carry handguns in Indiana may be released to a person conducting journalistic or academic research but only if all personal information that could disclose the identity of any person who holds a license to carry a handgun has been removed from the general information. Provides that the period during which an application for the renewal of an existing handgun license may be filed begins 365 days (instead of 180 days) before the date the license expires.
    Current Status:
    Law Enacted

Latest Printing (PDF)

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Provides that the period during which an application for the renewal of an existing handgun license may be filed begins 365 days (instead of 180 days) before the date the license expires.

I missed that part through this whole process! That's great!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I missed that part through this whole process! That's great!

I was listening to the live feed when it was being discussed in one of the chambers... The House, IIRC... And the 180 day thing was apparently requested by ISP because they knew they'd already be swamped with requests for the Lifetime as it was. Four years later, they're past that worry, so they opened it up. I'm wondering if a year or so from now, the time restriction will be removed entirely.

Either way, this is a bill over which there is no argument nor disagreement in our community. The newsies will have the papers full of whiny editorials tomorrow, but I think we expected that anyway. Any bets on whether any of them publish the whole database in it's entireity before the law becomes effective?

I'm pleased to see that this is through and enacted. Effective date: 1 July 2010.

:rockwoot:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    SWEET!
    Now watch the Indy Star and Herald Times try and take credit for it becoming law!

Any bets on whether any of them publish the whole database in it's entireity before the law becomes effective?

If they do, CALLING KIRK FREEMAN WE HAVE A INGO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT NEEDING TO BE FILED.
    :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    SWEET!
    Now watch the Indy Star and Herald Times try and take credit for it becoming law!

If they do, CALLING KIRK FREEMAN WE HAVE A INGO CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT NEEDING TO BE FILED.
    :D

I'm not sure we do. If it's not effective yet, it's not law. I'm not sure how a civil suit would fare.

Blessings,
    Bill

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    No if the papers write a story about it all, they will be finding a way to show how it will cause people to get slaughtered in the streets with no way to trace who did it.

But I'm not bitter. :)

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::ingo:

I bet the editorial pages in those papers will be full of entertaining articles over the next few days. Who bets on a "attack on the public's right to know" line?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Thanks to everyone on this, especially 2A Patriots and locally SC_Shooter for their efforts directly with legislators.

See? We can change the law when we want to, and when we are smart about it (bridge building on information security, etc).

Thanks to everyone and the HT can explain to the other papers how it peed in the pool and ruined their party.

The funny thing about this is that I warned the HT reporter that this would happen before he wrote the paper. And I only half believed it when I said it!

You guys rock. Congrats to all! :rockwoot: :ingo:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I am happy to have been a part in this. I have never written my representatives in support of any legislation before this, and the H-T only pushed me over the edge to do it this time. I wrote everyone I could think of asking for support of this bill. I hate the Herald-Times more than you'll ever know, and canceled my subscription after they published this database and stood by it. Now I think I will renew it for a month and go smear it in their faces on their comment section.

Yay for 1068!!!

Top Bottom