• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcs36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I received this reply from Senator Donnelly.

April 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office about background checks for gun purchases. I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have consistently voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut, and it is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.
    Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I support sensible improvements to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), the process used to check the background of prospective gun buyers. Gun owners and dealers are most familiar with this system, and therefore most familiar with how it can be improved without infringing on Second Amendment rights. Since NICS was established, the system has been made more efficient. For example, a check that once took 7 days now takes 7 minutes. Most people who submit to a background check pass. In 2011, 17 million passed. 170 million have passed since 1994.
    While this system is good at identifying felons and domestic abusers who should not possess a gun, it needs to be better at identifying those who are prohibited from owning a gun for mental health reasons. For every 10,000 people who undergo a check, only five are denied for mental health reasons. I support common sense improvements that will keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those suffering from mentally illness without infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners.
    I also support exemptions to background check procedures for certain situations. Current legislation under consideration would not require a background check and explicitly allow for gifts between family members, for licensed hunting or sporting purposes, and for transfers in legal wills. This legislation also reaffirms the long-established prohibition on any system for the registration of firearms and records of a transfer.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website

Sincerely,

Joe Donnelly
    United States Senator

rcs36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I copied this from part of Senator Coats newsletter.
    Protecting the Second Amendment

Another issue I have heard about from many Hoosiers is gun ownership. Legislation affecting existing gun laws currently is being negotiated in Congress, and I will carefully review the details of any bill that comes before the full Senate.

This week I joined with a group of senators in writing to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to express our support for the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. Our letter, led by Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.), expresses that we will oppose any legislation that would infringe on the constitutional right to bear arms. The full text of our letter to Reid is below:

Dear Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid,

We, the undersigned, intend to oppose any legislation that would infringe on the American people’s constitutional right to bear arms, or on their ability to exercise this right without being subjected to government surveillance.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution protects citizens’ right to self-defense. It speaks to history’s lesson that government cannot be in all places at all times, and history’s warning about the oppression of a government that tries.

We will oppose the motion to proceed to any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions.

As a father and grandfather, I want to make sure that children are protected. While no legislation can prevent deranged individuals from committing acts of violence, I believe more should be done to enforce existing gun laws more effectively and to address our mental health system. We can work to achieve this goal without undermining the rights given to Americans in the Constitution.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I never got a response from my first email from some time ago. I think to myself...hhhmmm, maybe the intern won't even bother to read it if it the title smacks of 2A. So my follow up is sent under the heading of civil liberties. I can do that since the ACLU expressed concerns regarding the UBC right :):
    Don't worry about anybody not reading your mail to your rep. But you can bet his/her staff leafs through every one to get a count pro and con on every issue. They don't care why you feel a certain way or what you would do about it. They just want to know where you stand. So keep sending them. They do count.

LGDawg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indy
    I have not heard anything back except the Andre Carson Auto-Reply since mid March. Either they are stopping sending things back, or they are so backed up it is going to take the interns longer to figure out which form letter to send us.

LGDawg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indy
    I just sent some messages to Coats and Donnelly. Have you contacted your reps today? I will try to give them a call when I get a break. Keepcalling and sending the messages. Here is all the info you should need:

Coats, Daniel - (R - IN)
    493 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
    (202) 224-5623
    Contact | United States Senator Dan Coats of Indiana

Donnelly, Joe - (D - IN)
    B33 RUSSELL SENATE OFFICE BUILDING WASHINGTON DC 20510
    (202) 224-4814
    Senator Joe Donnelly

Tell Joe Donnelly this vote will determine your vote on November 6, 2018. TellDan Coats this vote will determine your vote on November 8, 2016.

Top Bottom