• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with the 38 SPL in a .357 revolver. Lots of flexibility, if the magnum loads are too hard to handle, there are dozens of .38 +p loads, some specifically designed for the short barrel revolvers.

A person that does not shoot much may forget the mechanics of operating a semi auto in a panic. They may limp wrist the pistol, creating a paperweight.

Everyone can successfully pull the trigger on a revolver, even if scared blind.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My daughter in law was a first time shooter of handguns. I let her shoot my 22lr, 38 Special, 9mm. She is very recoil sensitive person.
    She wanted the 22lr. I took her to the gunshop she handled several. She ended up buying a Ruger LCP II 22lr.
    She has shot it several thousand rds and feels like she's ready to go up to a 380acp. I told her to get the new Ruger Security 380 with the 15rd magazine.
    Reason for that is because she's recoil sensitive and a smaller 380acp has pretty stout recoil.

View attachment 294511
    View attachment 294512
    This is a nice choice! Saw these in print and recently looked one over for my Wifey! Ruger makes a winner on Semi autos, and this is it! Anyway, I could get mt S&W 442 back, remove the pink grips, and hide the pink holster it rests in. Geesh, I miss that revolver as a manly gun with factory grips and a T adapter in a leather Bianchi IWB holster on my hip!

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    For a snub nosed gun in 357 if you can find one I would suggest a pre lock snub nose S&W 19 or 66 if you prefer stainless. The Ruger SP101 is also nice if you want something less expensive.

operatorj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Heltonville
    I'd say don't pressure her into something just cause you like it. Like others have said. Take her to shop with a large selection and a rental/range area.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561

Accuracy problems due to recoil anticipation are not due to the calibre of the round, or the size of the gun. Accuracy problems with handguns mostly appear when one tries to stage the trigger in a revolver, or DA/DAO pistol. The proper way to pull a DA trigger is one completely smooth continuous pull to the rear. Staging is a mistake waiting to happen. If you have not commited to disharging said round, get your booger picker off the damn trigger!

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    IF she likes it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a S&W 3" K frame revolver in 38/357.
    Model 10/13/64/65. Even a 3" S&W J frame 36/60 is a sweet shooter with proper grips and 38 standard pressure ammo.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Accuracy problems due to recoil anticipation are not due to the calibre of the round, or the size of the gun. Accuracy problems with handguns mostly appear when one tries to stage the trigger in a revolver, or DA/DAO pistol. The proper way to pull a DA trigger is one completely smooth continuous pull to the rear. Staging is a mistake waiting to happen. If you have not commited to disharging said round, get your booger picker off the damn trigger!

Thanks for the advice!

Those weren't my posts. They were links to another larger thread of similar nature. I have a post with my recommendation in that thread.

I would not recommend a revolver to any new shooter. Today's semi-autos are a so much better choice.

:)

Reactions: wcd

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Thanks for the advice!

Those weren't my posts. They were links to another larger thread of similar nature. I have a post with my recommendation in that thread.

I would not recommend a revolver to any new shooter. Today's semi-autos are a so much better choice.

:)
    Better choice for what? Manual of arms? Ease of use? If your semi-auto fails to fire, you must first analyze the problem, then know how to address which ever problem you may be encountering at that time. If my revolver fails to fire, I simply have to pull the trigger again. Mostly. The modern semi-auto is, for the most part, a fantastic gun. It is indeed a better choice for a lot of people. To call it a blanket, always, 'so much better choice' for everyone is simply not valid. The revolver is still a good platform. Like any other gun, you have to know how to run it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Better choice for what? Manual of arms? Ease of use? If your semi-auto fails to fire, you must first analyze the problem, then know how to address which ever problem you may be encountering at that time. If my revolver fails to fire, I simply have to pull the trigger again. Mostly. The modern semi-auto is, for the most part, a fantastic gun. It is indeed a better choice for a lot of people. To call it a blanket, always, 'so much better choice' for everyone is simply not valid. The revolver is still a good platform. Like any other gun, you have to know how to run it.

Revolvers are fine in the hands of seasoned users. Snub noses are a professional's gun.

It would be foolish to start off a new user with the long heavy trigger pull of a revolver. On top of the fact that most new users will opt for smaller revolvers, which are difficult to control under recoil.

Add in capacity and carry gear options and accommodations and there is no reason to waste the new user's time (or your's) working on a revolver platform.

Again, take advantage of the modern day equipment. A good quality semi-auto, no smaller than "compact" size is the way to go. It's what law enforcement, trainers, military and most private citizens carry.

:twocents:

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    The only detriment to starting with the 'long, heavy' trigger pull of a revolver is that the shooter will learn how to properly operate a revolver. With a qualified instructor, that is. I grew up on revolvers. I can't possibly be the only one left who can shoot one.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I can't possibly be the only one left who can shoot one.
    Nobody is saying that people can't shoot revolvers. Just that they are not the best choice for a new shooter. Light snubs are hard to get effective hits with at anything other than bad breath distance for new shooters, and they are unpleasant to shoot with anything other than powder puff wadcutter loads. They are limited in capacity, and the sights generally suck compared to a semiauto of the same size.
    I started on a S&W Model 10, a Model 36 Chief's Special and my dad's Colt Python. I can hit with them fine, but I have no reason to choose any of them over a far superior semiauto pistol of comparable size and weight.

I'm talking about for EDC. If the new shooter is going to go the range once every 2 years and keep the gun in a sock drawer, revolvers are definitely the best option. A GP100 or 686 works well in that role. Put the boolits in the holes, close the cylinder thingy and if you ever need it, just point it in the general direction of the threat at 3 yards and pull the trigger until you run dry or the bad guy does.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    This video from MrGunsngear does a good job of showing a woman's evaluation of what gun works for her. This boils down my own experience with the women in my life, and how they evaluated different firearms to find one that fits them and makes them more comfortable with gun ownership and carry.

DirtRoadEvan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I too made the mistake of getting a small 38 special airweight smith and wesson for my wife. She liked shooting my 4" .357 best out of anything I had, but the smaller wheelgun was nothing like the larger one. Not pleasant to shoot compared to most modern 9mm subcompacts and I second what other's have mentioned on ammo cost with practice being the most important variable when it comes to being comfortable with a carry gun.

I think the answer is usually not far from what you want to carry yourself. That way you have ample ammo for her to practice with on hand, and you can carry it when she decides she doesn't like it. I find that some people have trouble racking the slide of smaller semi autos, but it is usually more of a technique issue as long as you have some grip strength.

Top Bottom