• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Looking for a backup if the power go's out.
    I have seen complete setup's from $300.0 to $1100.00.
    Any practical experience/advise would be appreciated.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    How deep is your well to the top of the water?

There are two options: pitcher pump for shallow wells , sucker rod pump for deeper wells.

Just ask a farmer.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My property had a well on it when I built my house. We later got city water, but I kept the well pump hooked up to water the garden and yard.

A few years ago, I pulled out the old drop lines and replaced the old deep well set-up with a shallow well set-up (since the depth to water is less than 20 feet). It's not uncommon for people to think they need a deep well jet because their well is 80 feet deep, when the depth to water is what should determines that, not the depth of the well.

When I did that, I added a second drop line, so I had the suction line for my shallow well jet pump, and a smaller suction line for a pitcher pump. I don't keep the pitcher pump hooked up, but I keep it ready in case I need it. In less than a half hour, I can have it up and running. The suction line for the jet pump has a brass check valve, but the suction line for the pitcher pump does not, since the pitcher pump has one built in and if you put another one at the bottom of the line, it could impede suction and would freeze in the winter.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Try-----Don Walton's Wood Stoves-----on main street (SR 231) in Cloverdale, Indiana. Donnie used to carry all manner of hand pumps. If he doesn't any longer, he will certainly be a treasure trove of information about them.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    You can construct a well bucket for use in your well pipe if you have a 4" casing. Use A 5' length of 3 1/2" PVC cut 1' off, glue on a threaded female/female connect to each piece. Reconnect the two sections using a 2" flapper type check valve with the 'closed' position of the valve facing the long section. At the top of that section, drill holes and attach a long nylon rope.
    If the grid goes down, you can pull your well pipe and drop the 'bucket' down the casing, the flapper will open, allowing the bucket to fill. The flapper will close and seal by the weight of the water as you pull the bucket up. You get a couple of gallons per pull. Make sure you have a clean, germ free area to set your bucket and disinfect it each time you go back to draw water or you run the risk of contamination.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Looking for a backup if the power go's out.
    I have seen complete setup's from $300.0 to $1100.00.
    Any practical experience/advise would be appreciated.

Like others mentioned... How deep is the well???

From there how easy do you want it to transfer??? The easiest way is to use a generator and fire up the well pump.

If you go to a pitcher pump the static water level (level in casing without a check valve) has to be less that 20 feet from pump.

If you have a well already how do you want to hook the manual pump to it??? If it is a 4" well with a submersible pump options are limited. I have heard you can cut the water pipe and hook a pitcher pump to it. Not sure if it works very good. Again back to the static level has to be less than 20'.

If your water table is less than 20' you can just drive a 1 1/4" well and attach a pitcher pump and good to go. I think you can do the whole thing for under $200 including the pitcher pump. I know steel pipe prices have jumped. Probably the best and cheapest way except for hooking up a generator.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    You can construct a well bucket for use in your well pipe if you have a 4" casing. Use A 5' length of 3 1/2" PVC cut 1' off, glue on a threaded female/female connect to each piece. Reconnect the two sections using a 2" flapper type check valve with the 'closed' position of the valve facing the long section. At the top of that section, drill holes and attach a long nylon rope.

That is a neat idea... Get a tripod with a pulley to help with the lifting.

Only draw back is an existing well. Don't you need a special tool to pull a submersible pump out of a well that has a pitless adapter. Most common 4" wells around here. I have messed with wells, just not sure what they take to release the pitless adapter.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    That is a neat idea... Get a tripod with a pulley to help with the lifting.

Only draw back is an existing well. Don't you need a special tool to pull a submersible pump out of a well that has a pitless adapter. Most common 4" wells around here. I have messed with wells, just not sure what they take to release the pitless adapter.
    The "special tool" for my pitless adapter is a 1/2" piece of black pipe with the end slightly smashed together.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I have a general idea of how to set it up.
    Is a 400.00 work as well as a 600.00 pump, mi DA looken for pump options( now that the depth is known)

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    The "special tool" for my pitless adapter is a 1/2" piece of black pipe with the end slightly smashed together.

Will have to keep that is mind. Familiar how the casing works, but have never pulled a pitless adapter. Thx Maybe do a search for a couple pics. Always looking to add more info to the knowledge base.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Will have to keep that is mind. Familiar how the casing works, but have never pulled a pitless adapter. Thx Maybe do a search for a couple pics. Always looking to add more info to the knowledge base.

Mine is different than some in that it has a leg that tightens against the back of the casing. A lot of the more common ones just slip down into a receiver.

I would prefer the latter because mine makes it a pain to come up with a solution to just drop a line down in the casing for a hand pump since the adapter takes up so much room.

Top Bottom