• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    So I was thinking of getting one of these for the upcoming deer season. I'm thinking of getting the 44 mag. How far out would I be able to shoot with the 44? Does this have sufficient knockDown power? are they accurate? And which type of 44 mag ammo would be best for deer? Thanks.......MM

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've heard 100 yards is about the max you want to take with the 44. I have a .44 handi rifle, and I will say, for the price, you just can't beat it. it is very very accurate. I use the Hornady Leverevolution hollow point rounds with the polymer tip. It's a perfect deer gun.

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    I would use a 1.5 X 4 or 1.5 X 6 on it I think these power ranges are great for a woods gun. On the low setting you have a large field of view yet you can crank it up for a shot a distance.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I dont know what the deal is with mine, but its probably the most inconsistent gun I own. One shot will be right on, the next is 8" low and left, then another one right on, and another low left again. I sighted mine in at 50yds, it was right on (sometimes, want holding consistent groups) , but I was at least on paper. I moved back to 100yds, and I was over a foot high and right. I just cant figure it out. I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9 on it, but its a shotgun scope, so would think the recoil wouldnt be the problem. This was all done on bipods with a shooting sock under the stock. Hopefully youll have better luck than me.

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    I dont know what the deal is with mine, but its probably the most inconsistent gun I own. One shot will be right on, the next is 8" low and left, then another one right on, and another low left again. I sighted mine in at 50yds, it was right on (sometimes, want holding consistent groups) , but I was at least on paper. I moved back to 100yds, and I was over a foot high and right. I just cant figure it out. I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9 on it, but its a shotgun scope, so would think the recoil wouldnt be the problem. This was all done on bipods with a shooting sock under the stock. Hopefully youll have better luck than me.

What kind of ammo were you using? Maybe switch the scope out?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Make sure the latch shelf is clean and dry. Oil is your enemy here. Snap the action shut with some force, ensuring consistant locking. Also, if you didn't strip down the scope mount base before putting on a scope, I would do that. Clean it with rubbing alchohol (including screw holes) and loc-tite it down well. The bases can work loose sometimes from the factory. Another trick is to install an O-ring around the forearm stud to free float the barrel. These rifles tend to be pretty forearm pressure sensative.

OP: I've had 50/50 luck with the .44 handi. One that my son shoots has ballard rifling and is a tack driver. Another that I had bought for myself was a lemon. It had micro-groove rifling and wouldn't shoot anything better than 4" at 50 yds. No Go for me as a hunting rifle. I tried all the tricks and jumped through all the hoops, so I cut my my losses and traded it in towards a Ruger 77/44.

My .44 wears a 1.5-4.5X32 Buschnell elite. My son's has a 4-7X32 Nikon, and I'm very happy with both of them.

If you have one that shoots, it is a great little rifle. As far as the cartridge goes, the .44 Mag is a proven deer killer as a handgun round. Out of a rifle barrel it gains around 400 fps and becomes a different animal.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    What kind of ammo were you using? Maybe switch the scope out?

I tried two different loads. Its just what we had around the house. (Ive had the gun for over 2 years and this was the first chance Ive had to shoot it). Anyways, one of the loads was some 240gr reloads that my dad had, and the others were 240gr Winchester White Box. I want to try some Hornady LeverEvolution, but I keep forgetting to buy them.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis

Could be that it needs a longer break in period too. I have seen rifle need over 100 rds before they start shooting accurately

lance

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Before you buy an H&R check out CVA Scout in 44mag.It is a better rifle,trigger pull ,accuracy,and quality.I have owned 3 H&R rifles,bought CVA SCOUT and sold the H&R rifles.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Some of the older handi's have overbored .44 barrels. Have you slugged it to check the size? You may try some .432 cast bullets. Some previously lead slingers became tack drivers when matched to right loads. But I am betting on the scope. But hey if you wanna sell it cheap and get out from under it, let me know.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Another point is that the CVA doesn't have additional barrels available. 240 grain WWB is about as good as you can expect for factory fodder. Handloads are unlimited.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My son's H&R shoots very well on 240 gr. soft points (Mag Tech). Need to find the ammo your gun likes.
    V4O9RIof

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My son's H&R shoots very well on 240 gr. soft points (Mag Tech). Need to find the ammo your gun likes.
    V4O9RIof

That is what my Marlin 1894 likes as well. I thought that Marlin made the .44 barrel for H&R. Or at least it matched the very slow twist of the Marlin. It also seems to follow the problem of being slightly oversized as my Marlin is.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I always wanted a handi rifle. A question to the op though, why a .44 and not one of the other calibers?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have one in .357 Mag and I like it a lot! My hunting buddy has one in 44 Mag and it shoots great, if I didn't have .357 revolvers I probably would have got a .44, but I didn't want to add another caliber!

Top Bottom