Guns Shops that aren't willing to deal....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    From a retailer's perspective, it's good business and easier to be competitive on guns that are readily available and easily replaceable. For guns that you wait a year or more for or models that you may only receive 3 a year of it doesn't make a lot of sense to compete with the internet. It would be reasonable for a loyal customer but why would I drop my profit margin on something like a hard to find 1911 that I had ordered a year ago and will likely sell near retail within a week? Maybe if you're trading in a sweet Colt Python but certainly not to earn your future visits so that I can price match some cyber store and continually make no revenue. Few customers are so unpleasant that I would refuse to make $20 on a Ruger and far fewer are so adorable that I would lose $200 on a Les Baer.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I have been looking at purchasing a Walther PPS for EDC. I have seen this pistol at a newish LGS on the far north side of Indy for exactly $50 more than the best on-line price I have found. However, the on-line pistol comes with only one magazine while the LGS has two! I am happy to see a local guy that appears to be on top of the market and pricing items to actually compete rather than snare the occasional uninformed customer. Needless to say if I "pull the trigger" on this gun, I will be buying from the LGS. Yes I would have to pay sales tax, but that gets me around the uncomfortable moral dilemma of claiming it on my taxes. All around a purchase I can feel good about - if I can just get past my own budget police.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Since retirement I have become a poor man. However, the LGS(s) that I frequent are my friends and I want my friends to do well. I know that if I need something special I can get it without paying for it upfront. They trust me and I trust them. The kind of service I receive is worth something to me. I do enough research to know when a price is fair and when it is too much. If too much, I don't try to haggle and embarrass my LGS, I just go someplace else. Thankfully, this doesn't happen tool often.

Oldsmolet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have had my eye on a particular gun for awhile. When I decide on a firearm, I do extensive research and try to familiarize myself with it as much as possible. It may take me six months of research before actually purchasing.

That being said, a friend of mine told me that a local gun shop had the gun I have been eyeing for awhile. I had some time today and decided to go out of my way to that gun shop because I am ready to purchase. Being that I have done my research, I know the cheapest place online that I can get this gun.

I entered the gun shop and browsed their offering and sure enough, there it was in all its glory. For about $200 more than I can purchase it online, I could have the one sitting on their shelf.:rolleyes:

I kindly asked if I could see the gun. The guy at the counter pulled it out. After I inspected it thoroughly (and listened to all the B.S. that he was spewing) I asked him what kind of deal he could make me on the gun.

Him: The price is the price, we only Mark up our guns 10% (that 10% margin play is getting old, btw)
    Me: Well, all said and done I you are asking $200 more than I can get it elsewhere.
    Him: (Shocked) Really? Where?
    Me: Online.
    Him: Well, our price is the price and we can't negotiate on brand new guns.
    Me: You can't throw in 100 rounds of ammo? (That'd be worth about $40)
    Him: Nope, now that's it.
    Me: okay, thanks for letting me see it, bye.

I don't get it. I know the LGS is going to be more expensive than online. But, I feel like you have to work with me a little bit. I'm not going to spend over $1000 if I don't feel like I am being worked with. Hell, even Gander Mountain has worked with me (and worked hard, btw) to get a sale. It is what it is doesn't cut it, I'll just buy online if that is the case.

Thoughts INGO?

Im guessing this is a shop commonly recommended on here. They pissed me off when primers that were hard to find at the time. They were overpriced but hey I needed them. I asked if there was a limit....nope as many as you want. I drove an hour and a half one way and then was told one box limit. I lost it. Tried to buy a gun from them. No negotiation 10% is all they make he said. I can understand 10% on a 400 gun that's just $40 profit but I was there to buy a nearly $1500 gun. That's $150. You can't deal on that? Lots of people are all about this shop but I drive by now. The primer thing was enough to set me off. They were asking over $40 a box for primers so taking advantage of people on the shortage but to let me drive 3 hours after I clearly asked. That's makes about an $80 box of primers. LoL

or how about that special they were running on pmags?

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...At $25 a shot that's $1200 per year of 100% margin sales I'm giving up. I'll guarantee this is the highest margin item I'm selling in my store. But it's the principle here. So not only am I giving up margin but I'm also pi$$ing off customers. So they go elsewhere giving the 100% margin to a competitor and offering him the opportunity to win the customer...
    Just a point of order, that margin isn't '100%', it's ∞ as no monetary investment is made. But I agree with your concept.

A LGS that is 'too principled' to take in extra $$$ at an ∞ rate of return probably makes too much money to need my 'lowly' business, anyway. But hey, good for them standing on their 'business principles'! :laugh:

Of course, I always THOUGHT businesses were in business to make money, not 'principles'. Guess I'm wrong, at least in some cases!

IF I still had the FFL, I'd love nothing better than to do 10 transfers an hour @ $25 a pop (since that was the dollar amount mentioned), 10 hours a day, 6 days a week!

That's $780,000 a year pushing paperwork. With what overhead? The 'paper', time, and (for an LGS) a ridiculously small 'store front'. For almost $800 grand a year? :faint:

Of course, a few years of that and I'd probably need to hire a guy to throw $$$ in the big safe with a pitchfork, and a couple more to stand guard over it at night. Let's see, 3 employees at $52,000 / yr. each? Might have to raise my transfer fee to $30! :lmfao:

Top Bottom