• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    LCR makes a nice hiking and camping piece. You can get a 38/357 in 5 shot, 22 mag in 6, and a 22lr in 8 I think.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I carry my same EDC. There's no reason to think that in Indiana I'll encounter any type of creature more dangerous or impervious than the 2-legged kind.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I always carried a Glock 23 while hiking or mountain biking. About the only threat I have encountered in the woods of Indiana is packs of dogs. If you go off trail or take a wrong turn down in Kentucky your more
    likely to encounter an armed two legged creature guarding his cash crop or sthil.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I agree with Tom and Kludge above.
    That being said, outside of Indiana, it really depends. I'd feel fairly safe with a Glock 23 (13 rounds of .40 with heavy SD ammo) while walking through wolf country in Idaho with my relatives. Anything bigger (bear), I'd opt for a wheel gun in .44mag or .454.
    A lot of people praise the Glock 20 in 10mm with a good, heavy, bonded bullet as being "enough gun" for almost anything, plus it gives you 15 rounds. I like the idea, but have never owned a 10mm and think it would come up short on a big bear -- probably just **** it off more.
    After all of that, the practical side brings me back to some of the original answers above -- 357 or 44 revolver, or your EDC, which should be on you anyways. Any of those are better than a sharp stick, which is only slightly better than a sharp tongue.

I think you are generally more likely to run into a questionable human than a dangerous critter around here.

Rogkin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Greenfield
    It really boils down to what you are comfortable with. When hiking you are doing more movement than normal and if you are not comfortable you will not carry.

I carry outside the waist while hiking. .357 mag

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Something small and light as you are going to be carrying it a lot more than shooting it, and as far as I know there are no grizzlies in Indiana..yet..however, I am sure someone as "spotted" one next to their grandmas house eating her bird seed. A compact rust resistant type gun like a Glock would be a good start. Mine..Glock 36..

Popacap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Westfield, IN
    If this posts intent is hiking while in Indiana, last black bear was seen in 1860. There is only three areas of the state with three different types of posinous snakes. The real threat would be a of the two legged varitey.

I'd use a gun of .45, 9mm, 40 which would hold a min. of 10 rounds. If bad luck found you with multiple (worse case four) bad guys. You'd want to give each two rounds, plus a couple extra for any misses. I'd also pack at least one reload mag.

Hiking in the West in black bear or mountain lion, I"d pack a 10mm, comprise between running up against beast and bad men. In Griz, country I'd go min. .44 mag. In that part of the world, the critters would be more of a threat.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    It depends on how far you plan on going. I hiked 17 miles in 1.5 days at Red River Gorge in KY once with a Ruger Redhawk 44 7.5" barrel. It wasn't fun and I won't do it again. I'm not sure of the exact weight, but I could feel it holding me down.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have been wondering this same thing. I try to make at least one trip every year to hike in Smoky Mountain National Park for multiple day backcountry hikes and i've also been fortunate enough to hike a lot of National Parks out west (i'll be in Rocky Mountain NP in less than a month). What would be the all around greatest round for hiking in all parts of the U.S.? I cc a m&p9c but i'd want a wheel gun for this purpose. .357, .44 mag, what other all-around calibers are there? i'm leaning more towards a .44 mag but i'm not sure why as i don't know much about larger pitstol cartidges?

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I have been wondering this same thing. I try to make at least one trip every year to hike in Smoky Mountain National Park for multiple day backcountry hikes and i've also been fortunate enough to hike a lot of National Parks out west (i'll be in Rocky Mountain NP in less than a month). What would be the all around greatest round for hiking in all parts of the U.S.? I cc a m&p9c but i'd want a wheel gun for this purpose. .357, .44 mag, what other all-around calibers are there? i'm leaning more towards a .44 mag but i'm not sure why as i don't know much about larger pitstol cartidges?

Like i said, 44 mags are heavy as hell. Not fun to pack far distances.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I think a .38/.357 would suffice just fine for most areas. After all, for hiking in the midwest, the only predators you need to worry about are of the human variety. When hiking in areas where bears or other dangerous wildlife are a potential concern, I prefer to carry a .44 mag. Although the added weight of a .44 may be noticeable after a while, it's probably not a big deal for an experienced hiker used to a backpack.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom