Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bloomington Herald Times article:

Gun permit requests jump in Brown County
    Deadly attack, worries about gun law changes nearly triple county’s permit fee income
    By Laura Lane 331-4362 | llane@heraldt.com
    November 22, 2008

NASHVILLE — Worry that gun possession laws might change under Barack Obama’s presidency brought some Brown County residents out after Election Day to get permits to legally carry their weapons.

But it’s the fear of killers on the loose after a deadly break-in a week ago that has been the trigger for gun permit revenue nearly tripling in Brown County this month compared with November 2007.

Saturday morning’s shooting in northwestern Brown County left an elderly man dead, his wife wounded and rural people doubting their safety.

“Our lobby has been just full of people in line to get a gun permit. We just did three in the last half hour,” Brown County Sheriff Buck Stogsdill said late Thursday afternoon. “They are people of all ages, even some older people. A lot of them have never had one before.”

During November 2007, the county collected $760 in fees from residents applying for a permit to carry a handgun in their vehicle or on their person. As of Friday, the amount for November 2008 is $2,210.

Since the cost of a permit varies — the county fee for a four-year permit is $10, while a lifetime one is $50 — the number of permits can’t be determined by the revenue alone. But it’s clear that Brown County residents fear for their safety and with growing frequency are arming themselves when they leave their homes.

Just in case.

In the wake of the early-morning break-in and murder at the Helmsburg home of Dude and Mary Voland, rural Brown County residents realized they may not be safe. The brutality of the attack by two young men against the 84-year-old man and 77-year-old woman shocked neighbors on Lick Creek Road and beyond.

Like many people, Helmsburg General Store owner Karen Sooy is packing heat. She does not want to be a victim, again: Sooy was shot by an intruder at her home years ago.

It’s not uncommon for people who live in the country to keep a gun close by. But it’s becoming more of a habit in a world where violence keeps people living on the brink of fear.

“We are locked and loaded, armed and dangerous,” Sooy said three days after Dude Voland was killed. “We are sleeping with our guns.”
    And taking them with them when they leave home.

Brown County Sheriff’s Department clerk Joyce Taggart is on the front line in the world of gun permits. She has seen all kinds of people come into her office this month wanting the same thing. “Everybody, it seems, that comes in, wants a gun permit,” Taggart said. “After the election, there was a fear of a change in the law or that they might pull people’s guns.”

But this past week, it’s the Volands that residents have had on their minds.
    “We’ve had people in who live on that road, and also people who knew the victims or knew people that knew them. There were elderly people in their 70s, and then we had two young people come in, and they all wanted a four-year permit,” she said.

Indiana law does not require gun owners to get permits for weapons that are kept at home. A 2004 Indianapolis Star study of gun permits issued showed that more than 300,000 Hoosiers had them. A local look at gun permits by The Herald-Times two years later indicated that one gun permit had been issued for every 30 Monroe County residents.

Morgan County was the most well-armed county in the area; there was one gun permit issued for every 12 Morgan residents.
    Indiana is second in the nation, behind New York, in the number of guns per 1,000 residents.

The state does not require any training on the proper use of a gun, which worries some. Stogsdill wishes that gun owners would learn how to safely use their weapons — and when.

“Most people really don’t have the training to operate a gun properly,” the sheriff said. “You have the question of when to shoot and when not to shoot, and that decision can easily be made in error. The critical thing to know is if you are in fear for your life.”

Dude Voland collected, bought and sold guns; police have not said if any were taken during the break-in at his house. The avid gunsman, an expert marksman and 50-year National Rifle Association member, died after one for the intruders fired a bullet into his head.

His funeral is set for Tuesday at Unity Baptist Church. Memorial donations in memory of the World War II veteran will be donated to Cottonwood Christian Church or the NRA.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    The victims were the grandparents of my hunting buddy's son-in-law. He told me he wants me to get his wife out to the range as he is ,after her request, getting her a handgun for protection. They live outside of Nashville.

So Morgan County is the one county with a swell of gun owners......hmmm......Maybe that should tell the Herald Times something. Perhaps they should compare the crime rate of Marion County to that of Morgan County and surrounding counties. No offence meant to my Marion County brothers in arms.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    When I lived in Bloomington, I was happy to have Morgan Co. between us and Indianapolis just in case the SHTF.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Shooting victim, ‘Dude’ buried with his NRA hat on

By Laura Lane 331-4362 | llane@heraldt.com
    November 25, 2008

HELSMBURG — They buried Dude Voland today with his National Rifle Association hat on his head...

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I went there to read the story but that was the reporter's email address.

We had had a rash of home invasions in Morgan County. Usually when nobody is home but a couple months ago they went into a house and ran out being chased by the owners.
    One thief fell on a 2o gauge and ......... oops! Shot himself in the head. How unfortunate.:rockwoot:

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Kirk,
    Don't know what kinda show he runs there but after Christmas myself and others are offering a free gun safety class to anyone who got a gun as as gift and wants to know gun basics.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How many of us have left a M4 in the fornt yards?

Ummm, no one I know, however, a good friend of mine that I know really well and looks sort of like me left his Ruger 22/45 on the trailer hitch of his SUV and then drove from his house to a downtown Lafayette coffeehouse with the pistol on the trailer hitch. He placed the pistol on the hitch so he put it in his range bag and then forgot to put the pistol in the range bag and the phone rang. . . . and you know the rest.

I got out of my SUV and nearly fainted when I saw the pistol on the little platform on the hitch. Good thing I did not hit any potholes on the short drive downtown!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Ummm, no one I know, however, a good friend of mine that I know really well and looks sort of like me left his Ruger 22/45 on the trailer hitch of his SUV and then drove from his house to a downtown Lafayette coffeehouse with the pistol on the trailer hitch. He placed the pistol on the hitch so he put it in his range bag and then forgot to put the pistol in the range bag and the phone rang. . . . and you know the rest.

I got out of my SUV and nearly fainted when I saw the pistol on the little platform on the hitch. Good thing I did not hit any potholes on the short drive downtown!

Even so, I'm surprised it stayed there. Boy were you lucky!

Top Bottom