• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    What is an Aspie and if it is what I think it is isn't it pretty derogatory? Is it not someone with Asperger's Syndrome?

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I used to get all hung up on rule one because of its demonstrable falsehood. There is such a thing as an unloaded gun, duh.

But I got over my hangup once I realized that rule 1 is not intended to be a declaration of fact (because it cannot be), but rather a reminder to the fallible knucklehead who is possibly coonfingering that he best have the attitude that all guns are always loaded to develop habits that keep him and others safe.

Because your habit are either making you safer or less safe, and you want to head in the direction of safety.

Personally, I still think rules 2-4 to be supreme, and I don't have to waste mental energy on rule 1.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
    See, that's phrasing I can totally support because it addresses the user. "Hey You! Yes, YOU IDIOT! This gun should be respected, and treat it's like it's loaded."

Whereas "all guns are always loaded" is a declarative statement of fact that cannot be-- and is not-- true.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    See, that's phrasing I can totally support because it addresses the user. "Hey You! Yes, YOU IDIOT! This gun should be respected, and treat it's like it's loaded."

Whereas "all guns are always loaded" is a declarative statement of fact that cannot be-- and is not-- true.

Glad I could help! I feel suddenly useful

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    To me, Rule 1 has always been the most important of the rules. It's the biggie. The other three rules are about function or use. The first rule is about mindset. Until you get the mindset down, you are dangerous. A person that accepts the duality of loaded/unloaded is a risky person to be around. Until you banish the idea of an unloaded firearm from your mind, you will act differently with a firearm based on your understanding of it's condition. Accept that there are not two ways to handle a firearm and think of each and every one of them as being loaded, and you will be a much less risky person to be around.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

As Mr. Spock would say, "I find it to be highly illogical." There is a reason we left-brainers have a particular affinity for Spock.

But, on the plus side, we find it very easy to be anal retentive about dropping the mag and checking the chamber on every single gun we are handed or pick up, every single time. Disturbs our inner being if we don't.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Having more than once been handed an unloaded (but very loaded) gun and once nearly having an accident with said gun I always follow the #1..........always.

I have removed a gun from the safe I was sure not to be loaded as I "Always" unload (check) everything......yup, it was loaded and in condition 1.

We are human and prone to mistakes.

AMEN, to that ..... Do you know how many ND, COULD be PREVENTED, with a MANUAL SAFETY ?????

A whole BUNCH of THEM !!!!!

JMHO, YMMV .....

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Kinda relevant, last year I was at the range and was done shooting my RAMI and wanted to have the trigger pull measured as I already had the DA kit from CGW to try and help with the trigger bite I was getting, but hadn't installed it yet. Wanted a before after measurement. The girl behind counter whom I could tell was just there because the normal guy was on long phone call, helped me. I had just walked out from the range part of building with eyes and ears still on paid my fee and asked her for a measurement. She obliged, as I fumbled with my range bag I looked up and she had the pistol on the counter POINTED AT HER BELLY and was about to pull the trigger with the gauge and I said whoa! Did you clear it? Of course knowing full well I had cleared it after I was done shooting it just minutes earlier. She nodded no and sort of said oh yeah.... BTW not going to name range it is in no way a bad representation of this range. In fact I believe that it's under new ownership anyway etc. etc.

Top Bottom