• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Well I have some questions for anyone who would like to help me out. I've been learning to play an acoustic guitar for the past 6 months now and I just can't seem to get rid of this terrible "buzzing noise" from the top bass strings (D,A,E). It never did this before the first 3 months when I bought it brand new with the original strings.

I replaced the strings 5 times all ranging from extra light to medium gauge sizes and although the mediums seem to not buzz as much...it still does it just not as loud.

I've even messed around with the Truss rod and still it did not fix the problem. I know adjusting Truss rods is crucial and would damage the neck if done wrong so I was extra carefull and did not go past a half turn each direction. I'm also scared to go farther than half a turn as I don't want to damage nothing.

Anyway this was bought at Guitar Center brand new and is a Seagull Original S6 Dreadnaught purchased price was $399 (normal price as I looked online at other venders) and I'm certain this guitar is of quality.

I'm also tempted to just take it to a guitar shop so if anyone knows of a good place in Fort Wayne that fixes or reconditions acoustic guitars to the way its supposed to be, please let me know. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post I'm just frustrated messing with this thing and was eyeballing a used Martin that was being sold for $699 it played so beautifully and easily compared to my Seagull :xmad:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Have you contacted Guitar Center about the warranty (if any)?

Have you contacted the manufacturer about the warranty (if any)?

Will Guitar Center make the repair for you or recommend someone that could?

Do you think you'll make the problem better or worse by adjusting the truss rod "x" amount of turns?

What was wrong with the brand new Yamaha or Epiphone acoustic for $200?

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i put a shim of paper under the string at the neck.sounds like it needs set up though,i would have it set up,shouldnt cost much at all

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Seagull is a fine guitar. First and foremost take it to Guitar Center. The folks at the Indy store are mostly knowledgable and helpful people. This is usually just an issue with proper set-up of the guitar. Don't get frustrated, get it fixed. If it is something more serious, it should be covered under your warranty so no sweat there.

Slim7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Seagull is a good guitar. But, if you can handle the money and are committed to playing, the Martin is a very nice guitar. Wish I would have got one sooner. May want to trade the Seagull back in for the Martin.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I suggest taking it back to where you bought it... they should be able to adjust it for you.

It isn't a good idea to make truss rod adjustments unless you know what you are doing. As you said, you tried turning it both ways... so I assume you don't know which way is the right one.

There are a bunch of adjustments that can be made to a guitar (truss, sadle, bridge)... if it was setup properly to start, then I bet the truss is the issue. Also, changing the type of strings may require additional adjustment.

Good luck!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    The folks at the Indy store are mostly knowledgable and helpful people. .

if you are referring to the castleton store, then all i can say is mwahahahahahaha.

i would still take it back to GC, but i wouldnt expect too much. if you are on the Northside, go to the Sam Ash and ask for Barry or John. These guys actually know their stuff and arent 18 year old punks.

friends dont let friends shop at Guitar Denter.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    if you are referring to the castleton store, then all i can say is mwahahahahahaha.

i would still take it back to GC, but i wouldnt expect too much. if you are on the Northside, go to the Sam Ash and ask for Barry or John. These guys actually know their stuff and arent 18 year old punks.

friends dont let friends shop at Guitar Denter.

I agree however the OP is in Fort Wayne, he bought it at GC and it should still be under warranty, so to GC he should go. My vote for the best service her in Indy has been and always will be IRC. Local, Christian owners that still care about service.

Also I mentioned that they are MOSTLY, maybe I should have said that there are some knowledgable folks at the Castleton store.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know if I have my reciept for it I have to look. But I'm sure they have me on their computer files because when I buy strings from there they look up my name first for some reason so hopefully I won't need it to get some kind of "fine tuning" done to it. But like some of you said Guitar Center is like those Best Buy guys that act like they know what they are talking about ^_^. bahah

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I just found the following (seagull's instructions for truss rod adjustment): http://www.seagullguitars.com/Double%20Action%20truss%20rod%20adjustment.pdf

link found on Seagull's faq page:
    Seagull FAQ's

You can tell if the neck is bowed (i.e. the truss rod is the cause of your problem), by pressing down on a string on the both the first and last fret at the same time while looking at the distance between the string and the frets in the middle of the neck. If the truss is your problem the string will be touching the frets in the middle and you will need to increase the relief by turning the truss rod adjustment counter clockwise. (NOTE the bold warning on the FAQ page)

It may be that you put strings that are too far from the original setup (which may require adjustment to the bridge and/or saddle... which you definetly don't want to mess with)

I've adjustment my own truss rod before. I did this to an old guitar after buying a new one. I felt like I was really cranking on it to get the adjustment I wanted... but once I finished it was like a brand new guitar. I wished I had done it years earlier!

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just found the following (seagull's instructions for truss rod adjustment): http://www.seagullguitars.com/Double Action truss rod adjustment.pdf

link found on Seagull's faq page:
    Seagull FAQ's

You can tell if the neck is bowed (i.e. the truss rod is the cause of your problem), by pressing down on a string on the both the first and last fret at the same time while looking at the distance between the string and the frets in the middle of the neck. If the truss is your problem the string will be touching the frets in the middle and you will need to increase the relief by turning the truss rod adjustment counter clockwise. (NOTE the bold warning on the FAQ page)

It may be that you put strings that are too far from the original setup (which may require adjustment to the bridge and/or saddle... which you definetly don't want to mess with)

I've adjustment my own truss rod before. I did this to an old guitar after buying a new one. I felt like I was really cranking on it to get the adjustment I wanted... but once I finished it was like a brand new guitar. I wished I had done it years earlier!

I did that test with the pressing down of the first and last string and its definately good clearance in the middle. How much did you turn the truss rod? From my understanding, I read that usually a quarter turn or half turn is more than enough. I also read that turning it more than that might damage it. Ofcourse I'm no expert.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I did that test with the pressing down of the first and last string and its definately good clearance in the middle. How much did you turn the truss rod? From my understanding, I read that usually a quarter turn or half turn is more than enough. I also read that turning it more than that might damage it. Ofcourse I'm no expert.

I definitely turned my truss rod more than that... But Seagull has a unique truss rod system, so it may be different.

If you have good clearance then your buzzing is probably not caused by bowing in the neck. If you put strings on that are too light, they will sit too low in the saddle and bridge which can cause buzz. This is a pretty easy fix for a guitar tech, but special tools and parts are required.

If the buzz is really so bad, it sounds like you just need to take it in for service.

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Yeah I can mostly echo every one here. What you are hearing is what is called string "buzz" or string "slap". It is a function of needing to adjust the action on your guitar, or the distance from you string to the neck/fret. you can also help this out by one of two quick fixes shim the nut which is the piece right before the headstock, or get a properly set saddle with the proper offset . Also winding your string upwards on the machine. These are all very easy to do, but I would error on caution with adjusting the truss rod yourself. If you do not want to mess with GC take it to mel mcullough(sp?) in jamestown he builds customs and has done all my work on pretty much every guitar I own (~20) right now. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Top Bottom