• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • his_only_sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    You can read the head lines...but you don't know what really happened...

I am the sister of Jerry "Brian" Bobb... and I can tell you that I have struggled with this for a long time. He was not a gun or knife wielding person. What he did was definately wrong... I will add this... I have spoken to investigation commander Mathew Fillenwarth... and he answered almost every question that I had... My brother did not "charge" officers... he had knifes TAPED to both hands... Tasers were shot... one hit his shirt and the other did not... on one firing... I do not know the details of a second firing... It's what he wanted, I believe, and I do not agree with what he did by any means. However, he was, is, my brother... a son, grandson, stepson, father... There is alot to be told about this...and I wish I was the person to tell it. I have communicated with Theresa, the victim, and have offered my condolances and let release of my hatred that I originally had... I'm not perfect by any means... but I would much rather have been able to see my brother for the first last time behind bars instead of in a coffin...buried next to our father... It's been almost three years...and I still have a difficult time understanding it all... I am so thankful for Theresa having her safety and her children... And I pray for her to find the peace within... I hope that all that post here understand that there are others...innocent people...that loved Brian...and even after almost 3 years...cannot understand why he did what he did... and don't agree with any of it... There is so much that wasn't released to the public... So much misunderstanding... Again...Theresa...I'm thankful for you and your children's health! Hope you all are doing well...Sincerely, Christina

his_only_sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    There were 6 shell casings... 3 hit my brother. I also questioned the training and suggestion to shoot my brother in the chest... The answer I got was that an officer in stress can fire a shot while pulling the gun from the holster... I'm assuming that on shot 2 in the ground and one shot 1 in the ground... I don't know the forensics and I wish I did. Matthew Fillenwarth explained alot of the details to me...and it made some sense...and in the end...i believe my brother wanted that. Otherwise...he wouldn't have taped knives to his hands...and made certain requests and choices he did. He ultimately found his safe haven...with our father...literally...his, our brother, and my father... I wish I had more answers to give. I'm sure I do...but it's so late now... any questions recieved...I will be glad to answer if they are respectful to me...and my family. Thank you.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    HOLY THREAD RESURRECT!

sorry you lost a brother. but as for him I dont feel sorry one bit. someone tries to kill you, then you kill them first. is coming here helping you deal with it? is anything gonna change the outcome? nope.

The fact that there were only 6 rounds fired says a lot to me about the restraint used by the officers. it stopped the threat and thats what you do in these situations. you dont get extra points for rounds used or not used. neutralize the threat, whatever it takes.

whats your point for opening this back up? I dont think your gonna get much support here if thats what your looking for.

Windwalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Christina, I am sorry for your loss as there are always innocents on both sides that are hurt. From the act your brother committed, he had coming what he received and Justice was served.Unfortunately, this does not stop the hurt of the innocents on both sides. Look to the Great Spirit and time to heal the innocents. Windwalker

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    HOLY THREAD RESURRECT!

sorry you lost a brother. but as for him I dont feel sorry one bit. someone tries to kill you, then you kill them first. is coming here helping you deal with it? is anything gonna change the outcome? nope.

The fact that there were only 6 rounds fired says a lot to me about the restraint used by the officers. it stopped the threat and thats what you do in these situations. you dont get extra points for rounds used or not used. neutralize the threat, whatever it takes.

whats your point for opening this back up? I dont think your gonna get much support here if thats what your looking for.

:+1:

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Give me a break. I suppose if someone is trying to kill you with a knife you're going to shoot one bullet at a time and pause between to see if it was effective? Six was apparently enough.

Military training says Mozambique or if you can't get that, double tap center mass while advancing, using follow-on shots to keep BG on his heels. Eventually, one of those things is gonna kill him or you'll be close enough to put one in the "T box".

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    We as humans make decisions that effect not just our lives, our families,
    and the lives of others we don't know every single day.

Some, with catastrophic results, some with intended catastrophic results.

Even the smallest confrontation leaves people asking the "why".

The police officers involved chose their profession, in making that decision, it is their obligation to return home to their families and loved ones at the end of the day.

It sounds like the brother had difficult issues he could no longer cope with.

This is unfortunate as the police officers will always carry the burden of "what if?"

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    He was not a gun or knife wielding person.

Otherwise...he wouldn't have taped knives to his hands...and made certain requests and choices he did.

This is where we all get in trouble. She says he wasn't a knife wielding person and yet he had knifes taped to his hands. Shows how much we can really know someone. Even when there's video involved the family wants to blame someone else instead of putting blame where it needs to be.

I have 1 question about this that maybe you can answer. Did you or your family bring a law suit against the county, or leos involved in this? Or did you or anyone in your family seek a lawyer to consider suing anyone over this?

There were 6 shell casings... 3 hit my brother. I also questioned the training and suggestion to shoot my brother in the chest... The answer I got was that an officer in stress can fire a shot while pulling the gun from the holster... I'm assuming that on shot 2 in the ground and one shot 1 in the ground... .
    It wouldn't matter if all 6 shots hit him, I mean really why would it matter where they shot him unless it was a means to a lawsuit. 6 head shots would have been perfectly fine by me, as long as the threat was eliminated.

If this were my brother I wouldn't be questioning were they shot him or have gotten angry at the gf. I'd be patten the officers on the back to let them know they made the right choice, because ultimately the officers involved and the woman with her child need the support more than you and your family. I might sound cruel by saying all this but remember he wasn't the victim here.

Oh and :welcome:to :ingo:. Where the only good criminal or attacker is a dead one.

Last edited:

his_only_sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    I tried to reply and it did not save my response. I came to this site...not to recieve sympathy...cuz I definately know this is the last place I will get that...and I'm not even looking for it. Recent events in Greenwood, IN brought me to this site. I found myself looking at various things. This is one of the sites I had been to before and never said anything. I saw where you were talking about the casings...and thought I would comment and inform everyone on here talking about it of what i knew about it...since I did speak with the investigation commander and he was polite enough to walk me through that night step-by-step. I know that my coming to this site will not change anything. Yes, it does help me deal. I'm not sure what you are talking about when you mention video of it. I had asked the commander about it b/c I heard rumor of it. He said there was no video. As far as Trish and her suing the city...That's not my family. That is Brian's mom, not mine. I'm pretty sure she has let that go. Idk if she ever contacted a lawyer. I had more typed out in the response that didn't take...but this is what I can think of for now. I'm not asking any of you to feel sorry for me. I'm not asking any of you to not think of Theresa and her children. I do. All the time. I'm very very thankful they are safe. And I have even apologized to Theresa. All I'm asking...is to not be attacked. I came on here to discuss the facts...not figure out what the hell he was thinking that night. Like I said, if there are any questions that are respectful...I will answer them. And thank you to those of you that have been respectful. It is appreciated. Hopefully I have answered everything that was asked in the previous posts.

Last edited:

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Look I will be honest with you just as everyone else has been. I am sorry for your loss, it is never easy to lose a loved one especially someone that close to you. That being said, the officer's deployed a Taser which unfortunately does not always work, and in this case did not. Your brother had knives taped to his hands which would be a pretty good indicator that he is not wanting to end peacefully. As for the number of shots fired, I'm sure those three shots that did not hit your brother were intended to miss your brother. No department in the nation that I know of trains to shoot warning shots. In my opinion those officers had no other resources at the time and made the decision they did for their safety and the safety of those around them. Once again I am sorry for your loss, and I am thankful no one else was hurt.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I understand there were six shell cases found at the shoot. I question the training? Six shots on one guy? I also understand stress in a shooting situation but six?
    Six shots are nothing compared to how many are normally fired in the heat of the moment. Normally they ask something like, "Officer, how many rounds did you shoot." He'll say, "I think about three." and when the look, he fired ten. It all happens so quick and with such reflex. Now figure two cops: six shots fired is nothing. I going to have to assume their guns jammed after firing three rounds each. Dude had it coming.

Last edited:

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    I tried to reply and it did not save my response. I came to this site...not to recieve sympathy...cuz I definately know this is the last place I will get that...and I'm not even looking for it. Recent events in Greenwood, IN brought me to this site. I found myself looking at various things. This is one of the sites I had been to before and never said anything. I saw where you were talking about the casings...and thought I would comment and inform everyone on here talking about it of what i knew about it...since I did speak with the investigation commander and he was polite enough to walk me through that night step-by-step. I know that my coming to this site will not change anything. Yes, it does help me deal. I'm not sure what you are talking about when you mention video of it. I had asked the commander about it b/c I heard rumor of it. He said there was no video. As far as Trish and her suing the city...That's not my family. That is Brian's mom, not mine. I'm pretty sure she has let that go. Idk if she ever contacted a lawyer. I had more typed out in the response that didn't take...but this is what I can think of for now. I'm not asking any of you to feel sorry for me. I'm not asking any of you to not think of Theresa and her children. I do. All the time. I'm very very thankful they are safe. And I have even apologized to Theresa. All I'm asking...is to not be attacked. I came on here to discuss the facts...not figure out what the hell he was thinking that night. Like I said, if there are any questions that are respectful...I will answer them. And thank you to those of you that have been respectful. It is appreciated. Hopefully I have answered everything that was asked in the previous posts.

You have my complete and total sympathy for your loss. It was not you that made the wrong and dangerous choices that night, and it's not you that should bear any of the responsibility or hostility. I can't fathom the pain of losing someone close to you in such a senseless way, even if it was completely his fault (or should i say, especially since it was completely his fault). Brian got the end result that he wanted, and I really feel for the officers that were forced to take a life. They will live with that the rest of their lives, no matter how justified they were. (anyone who thinks differently hasn't been there). No one "won" that night, but many will feel the pain for years to come.

I can't speak for all of INGO, but I can say I truly hope you find peace in this situation. God Bless.

sherwoody_77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    modelflyer2003... I agree with you 100%. I was surprised myself when they said 6 shoots were fired instead of many more.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    There were 6 shell casings... 3 hit my brother. I also questioned the training and suggestion to shoot my brother in the chest... The answer I got was that an officer in stress can fire a shot while pulling the gun from the holster...

Like everyone else on here, I would like to express my sympathy to you. It's never a good thing to lose someone close to you. I understand feeling anger towards others, even if they're not entirely to blame, such as with Theresa. Unfortunately, none of us will know the extent of their relationship and how it operated. And none of us better than you. So I can't even say there's no blame on her.

However, I would like to point this portion out. I'm sure the detective told you this, but the conventional training now is to shoot at center mass. Previously they may have been told to shoot at legs to immobilize, but that has found to be faulty. They're fast moving targets and hard to hit. It's easier to hit center mass, and that will drop the target. Furthermore, it's entirely possible that a center mass shot will not kill the target, but incapacitate them. So that's why they aimed at center mass.

Also... as for shooting at the ground, that does happen a lot. The training is to not put your finger on the trigger until you fire. But in the heat of action your mind moves a lot faster than your body. In this case it involves target acquisition occurs and the mind tells the body to fire before the draw has been completed. This leads to firing in the dirt while lifting the muzzle. I've seen videos of it happening, and I've talked to an IUPD officer that had that happen to him.

All-in-all... adrenaline is crazy.

I wish you the best and hope you can come to terms with everything.

P.S. Always copy your post before you submit it, in case you lose it. That way it's only one CTRL + V away.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    how can you question six just curious thats only three shots a piece i think thats barely enough but just curious

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I'll not place judgement one bit on the LEO's. That guy tried to kill 2 people, ran off to kill another. Then went after the LEO's after being tasered!!! I'll just say at at least there is one less bad guy to have to worry about now.

God help us if he had gotten by the LEO's.

his_only_sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    I am incredibley thankful for everyone that has posted sympathies... And also for those that have metioned specifics on training... I am aware of certain facts that I do not believe were released and your comments help me to understand that better...so, here again, I will say...this does help me. I was originally only posting to clarify some previous comments, but I am now grateful that I did make a post. I know that what my brother did lies in his hands. I am also thankful that no other fatalities occurred that night. I am saddened that others were hurt due to his actions. I have posted elsewhere that I do not want to wear his "scarlet letter" so to speak. I know that it was not my doing and that I had no control over it, but, that being said, I cannot apologize enough for what happened. I wasn't trying to drudge up past emotions on the topic, but recent circumstances caused me to revisit this. I am not trying to get the whole he said, she said thing going. I just wanted to say what was on my mind. I respect everyone's opinion that has posted in response to me. There are certain times that are harder than others and there really is no winner... I know that the police did what they had to do...and I never asked why they shot him...just why they shot him where they did. Matthew Fillenwarth answered many of my questions and was very, very respectful and understanding to me, as well as patient...and I truly appreciated that. Like I said, thanks to some of your comments, I now better understand some of the rationales that he explained to me. So, thank you...

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    i'm curious about your thinking on this. should there have been more shots? less?

yeah me too. I was just thinking about the class. The spitting distance tragets actually. 6 shoots go by really fast at that range. Also with two leo you could easly have 6 shots.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I am incredibley thankful for everyone that has posted sympathies... And also for those that have metioned specifics on training... I am aware of certain facts that I do not believe were released and your comments help me to understand that better...so, here again, I will say...this does help me. I was originally only posting to clarify some previous comments, but I am now grateful that I did make a post. I know that what my brother did lies in his hands. I am also thankful that no other fatalities occurred that night. I am saddened that others were hurt due to his actions. I have posted elsewhere that I do not want to wear his "scarlet letter" so to speak. I know that it was not my doing and that I had no control over it, but, that being said, I cannot apologize enough for what happened. I wasn't trying to drudge up past emotions on the topic, but recent circumstances caused me to revisit this. I am not trying to get the whole he said, she said thing going. I just wanted to say what was on my mind. I respect everyone's opinion that has posted in response to me. There are certain times that are harder than others and there really is no winner... I know that the police did what they had to do...and I never asked why they shot him...just why they shot him where they did. Matthew Fillenwarth answered many of my questions and was very, very respectful and understanding to me, as well as patient...and I truly appreciated that. Like I said, thanks to some of your comments, I now better understand some of the rationales that he explained to me. So, thank you...

well I also think you need to give yourself a break. stop apologizing for what your brother did. its off your shoulders dear. Your not responsible for his actions, and its certainly not right that you be the one left to deliver apologies for his actions. your a victim too in this. you lost your brother. I hope you and your family can find peace. maybe now knowing that the officers (in my opinion) used restraint, and followed procedure to a T, it will help you with the long healing process by accepting this was the only way because of your brothers bad choices. thats his fault and not yours.

Top Bottom