• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    A good read. I wonder if the majority of those who claim these instructors are just "Greedy Scoundrels" looking for easy coin are just finding excuses for why they themselves refuse to seek out proper training.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    A good read. I wonder if the majority of those who claim these instructors are just "Greedy Scoundrels" looking for easy coin are just finding excuses for why they themselves refuse to seek out proper training.
    I recall that the NRA encourages instructors to charge for their classes, otherwise the would-be students won't have anything tangible invested and might be unannounced 'no-shows'. On the other hand, I think there's a lot of "don't know what you don't know" at work--"I already know how to shoot, just how much CAN you teach me for all that $?"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yet a new gun hits the reviews in the magazines and the rush is on. People expect a new gun to fix their shooting issues and chase hardware with big $$$. None for training, though. That's a waste since you can't show it off until you trade for something shinier.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was involved with teaching a class, along with a couple other men who post here, who did most of the work, most of the time. It was free, at least to the end user. Some of the expenses were paid by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, who got Ruger to sponser the firearms and Remington to sponser some ammo. The printed materials were provided at no cost to the end user. Applied Ballistics paid everything else, including the insurance and facility. Teaching staff was also provided free, which was volunteers. At least 4 classes a month were filled completely up in advance, and sometimes there would be 10 no shows out of 15 students.

I think that shows how far out society has fallen, when people will actually inquire, make the appointment, and not show or cancel. Their word is just no good, and they are openly disrespecting the people who have their own time and expenses commited. Once a person is comfortable with his word being worthless, there is very little of value left in him.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    After a few years of accepting money for educational opportunity, my opinion is that it would be very difficult to make a living as a firearms instructor. I never came close to making a profit for a year and I doubt that I could generate enough business to make a living at it even if I had the time to try. If I did it solely or even primarily for the money, I lost!

Top Bottom