• ...and so much more!
  • PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Thought this could be fun.

Name 10 government departments or agencies that could be eliminated.

You are welcome to ad more to your list, 10 is just the base.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    1. Energy
    2. Education
    3. BATFE
    4. DHS
    5. Health and Human Services
    6. Housing and Urban Development
    7. DEA
    8. TSA (why did it take me this long to think of something so obvious?)
    9. Agriculture
    10. FEMA
    11. AMTRAK
    12. Public Broadcasting

Most other departments could be cut back dramatically and probably still perform more functions than what are truly sufficient.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Martin County
    I will compromise with the liberals and agree that none of the currently funded agencies be eliminated. However, I will demand that the rate of growth of their funding be reduced. In the long run I win without appearing to be 'mean.' ;)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    1. Energy
    2. Education
    3. BATFE
    4. DHS
    5. Health and Human Services
    6. Housing and Urban Development
    7. DEA
    8. TSA (why did it take me this long to think of something so obvious?)
    9. Agriculture
    10. FEMA
    11. AMTRAK
    12. Public Broadcasting

Most other departments could be cut back dramatically and probably still perform more functions than what are truly sufficient.

I'm curious to know why you would eliminate FEMA.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm curious to know why you would eliminate FEMA.

Because it is 1., intrusive, 2., largely ineffective at the purpose for which it supposedly exists, and 3., is expensive. If it existed strictly as a smaller advise, train, and equip organization for locals (provided that it did not turn into a JBT school) my opinion MAY be different depending on how it seemed to square with the general welfare clause of the constitution which would be the only way to constitutionally justify its existence.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The definition is a bit fuzzy as to what kind of entities we're talking about, but here it goes.

1. Department of Education (created by Carter, has done nothing that has actually improved education).
    2. BATF (should be a convenience store, not a fed bureau).
    3. AMTRAK.
    4. Commission on Fine Arts.
    5. Department of Housing and Urban Dev (HUD, along with all related agencies and offices).
    6. Office of Government Ethics (because it's an oxymoron).
    7. Japan-U.S. Friendship Commission (do we still need this 67 years after WWII?).
    8. TSA (rife w/abuses, done better privately)
    9. Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
    10. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

There are so many, I just have to stop. Maybe the best way to clean house is to get rid of them all and then reinstate on an as needed basis.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I would have to disagree with #5. The SBA is the primary means by which MOST small, start up businesses become successful or start at all. That's the foundation of our economy....or at least it should be.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I would have to disagree with #5. The SBA is the primary means by which MOST small, start up businesses become successful or start at all. That's the foundation of our economy....or at least it should be.

So small business owners didn't build their businesses?

No government agency will ever be done away with because there are enough people to support each and every one.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Air Force? Library of Congress? C'mon.
    How bout
    1. Homeland Security and its bastard child, TSA
    2 Dpt of Energy
    3 Dpt of Education
    4 HHS
    5 HUD
    6 ATF. Of COURSE it should be a convenience store.
    7 DEA
    8 Social Security
    9 SSI
    10 Blue Cross

How bout the federal gov't gets back to it's original purpose, Defense and trade? I don't need a Nanny government telling me I can't smoke, then subsidizing big tobacco, Giving MY money to people who WON'T work, Saying I HAVE to have insurance, or they're going to fine me, after IT has created a system where health care is one of the biggest expenses we have, and it is allowed to get more expensive all the time... and generally frakking up every thing it touches.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Because it is 1., intrusive, 2., largely ineffective at the purpose for which it supposedly exists, and 3., is expensive. If it existed strictly as a smaller advise, train, and equip organization for locals (provided that it did not turn into a JBT school) my opinion MAY be different depending on how it seemed to square with the general welfare clause of the constitution which would be the only way to constitutionally justify its existence.

Well, I'd suggest you talk to somebody who knows what FEMA really does before you get your opinion set in stone.

FEMA is largely the continuity of government function that existed under the "Civil Defense" label up into the 70s. It's not a particularly "intrusive" agency, except that, like many federal agencies, it coordinates its planning with the states. In its response mode, it also coordinates with the states and provides wide-ranging resources when requested BY THE STATES.

As to its effectiveness, it's a bureaucracy, so everything is a paperwork nightmare, but through the auspices of the Stafford Act, it has provided an immense amount of resources in disaster situations (FYI FEMA worked just as it was advertised during Hurricane Katrina - ask the Mississippians.) Also, it has been able to organize and equip somewhat exotic resources that would have been very difficult to coordinate on a state-to-state basis.

Like the military, it's one of the few federal organizations I can think of that fulfills a Constitutional mandate.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    So small business owners didn't build their businesses?

No government agency will ever be done away with because there are enough people to support each and every one.

Ding Ding!! Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Every government agency was brought into existence was "for a good reason" and people support them for a variety of reasons. Democracy, it's a ***** sometimes.

Also, about the Air Force. I'm a Marine, what more do you want?

Top Bottom