• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

My wife and I continue to question why we pay almost $100 each month for Dish, when we really don't watch TV. Especially with warm weather approaching, our TV intake will drop even more. I'm looking for ways to get access to other alternatives and get rid of Dish.

I hear everyone talk about Google Chromecast - for those of you with Chromecast, can you help me understand what it is and how it works? I'm confused. Besides buying the device for $35, what else is required?

Current situation: have a smart TV that we access Netflix through. Also have a PS3 that we can stream Netflix and Amazon Prime. I watch YouTube by connecting my iPhone to the TV via Bluetooth.

Is Chromecast just a way to access Netflix and other fee for service programs? Is there a way to access news and/or sports? Basically a way to access other media than just movies.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Chromecast is a way to project what is on the screen of your computer onto your TV. There are many SmartTV's and BluRay players that will do this too. You aren't able to project a few things as their format is incompatible but they say they're working on this as we speak. I got one for a gft last year and used it to watch Amazon Vids, YouTube vids, NETFLIX and other things I have downloaded as well. Look around to find a media player that is compatible with doing this and unless you use an Apple, I can't help.

I have loved mine so far and hopefully it will give me service for a long time. Many of the same functions, though not all, are also available if you look for the BluRay plaers that are alsp "Smart". They can play most of what a Chromecast will as well.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have Chromecast. It is a streaming device. It will stream video, audio, pictures. Media of all kinds. It can't do media directly. You need to direct it from your laptop or Android device. It needs to be connected to your network. All the controls are on the PC/Android device. I love it. It's quality of streaming is heavily dependent on the speed of your internet.

If you search for Chromcast on the forum you'll find a post I created about it a while back. More info about it there.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    It works fine with Apple products as well. not just PC/Android. Works off of an iPjone as well. All the apps for all the platforms are free as well.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have an AppleTV and can get sports for a fee, not sure how much since I don't use it. I think there are news channels too and has YouTube built in.

Since you already use Amazon then you might look into the FireTV or the cheaper FireTV Stick. I am invested in iTunes shows but Amazon is a good way to go too. I think that the AppleTV has better sports and news options though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Yes, if you uses android devices, go with the Firestick, by Amazon. I bought chromecast first, and a difficult time setting it up... Lots of backdoor stupidity to get it to work. I gave it to my GF, and got it work almost instantly with her Apple products. I then got fire TV and it set up in a jiffy.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    By the Roku 3 instead. Lot's better processing power. Lots more choices and you are not tied to your computer.
    You gotta consider the WAF factor. WAF=Wife Acceptance Factor

They can be had for $80.00 right now. https://www.roku.com/

If you are going with an Antenna for locals, the Roku now works with this DVR as well:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tablo-HDTV-An..._15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425932331&sr=1-
    15&keywords=record+tv+shows

Purchase one Tablo, hook it to your network, then purchase Roku 3 for each tv.
    Each Tv can now control and watch whats on the Tablo.

Wired connections to your network are always a better choice.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    By the Roku 3 instead. Lot's better processing power. Lots more choices and you are not tied to your computer.
    You gotta consider the WAF factor. WAF=Wife Acceptance Factor

They can be had for $80.00 right now. https://www.roku.com/

If you are going with an Antenna for locals, the Roku now works with this DVR as well:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tablo-HDTV-An...d=1425932331&sr=1-15&keywords=record+tv+shows

Ok, school me on a Roku. What types of channels do I get with a simple internet connection? Or do I have to pay for channels?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The internet provides several thousand streaming video options now. Everything from kid shows to non-kid shows.

Not all streaming sites are free. Netflix is about $8 a month, Amazon Prime is about $99 a year, Hulu Plus is $8 a month....Still cheaper than dishes or cables.

There are dozens of Hunting shows, Fishing shows, outdoor cooking shows....Field and Stream TV, NRA Freestyle....

Last edited:

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The wife and I like the Amazon Fire Stick. It's simple to use and I'm sure it's dependent on decent internet speed.

The other reason I like the Fire Stick is I can stream or mirror my Kindle. I especially like to stream media using the Hoopla app. The Hoopla app is a free app supported by my local library so all titles are free as long as you have a library card.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The internet provides several thousand streaming video options now. Everything from kid shows to non-kid shows.

Not all streaming sites are free. Netflix is about $8 a month, Amazon Prime is about $99 a year, Hulu Plus is $8 a month....Still cheaper than dishes or cables.

There are dozens of Hunting shows, Fishing shows, outdoor cooking shows....Field and Stream TV, NRA Freestyle....

Yeah, you can find tons of good stuff to watch! I am a big fan of NRA freestyle!

If you aren't worried about missing any specific programming dropping dish won't be a big deal (I don't like dish anyhow). But Amazon Prime is a great option for sure, I have little experience with Hulu, and Netflix is hit and miss, most stuff is fairly old.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I have two chrome casts, and haven't had any trouble setting them up. It plugs directly into the HDMI port on your tv, and you will also need to power it via USB or wall charger sized power pack. You will need a wireless signal and an app on your phone, plus an app for whatever service you want to use. (Netflix, Youtube, HBO, etc) It does not stream through your phone or computer, rather your phone tells it where to stream from and it loads independently. If you use Chrome on your PC there is a plugin to cast the screen to the chrome cast, but I've found that there is a slight lag, and windows that don't use chrome don't show. I like using my phone as the remote because I've got three remotes already and don't need to keep track of another.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Quick update - we put Dish on hold.

We are only day two into this, so far so good. I have not picked up Chromecast or anything else yet. We are limited to Netflix right now. I think we have Amazon Prime, but we are not sure if it expired or not.

i think the biggest struggle will be missing out on Fox News....

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Anyone have ways that we can get news?

Went to Fox News website to see about streaming it live...but, they require you to llost your cable/satelitte provider and other info. Fail

Top Bottom