• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My mom's cousin who lived in Illinois passed away recently. He had a small collection of firearms that his sister did not want. I contacted the local Sheriff's department and received an informative and useful set of instructions as to how to legally transport the guns back to Indiana. We followed his advice and had absolutely no problems. There was nothing too remarkable in the collection but the guns are all nice, useful items.

I still don't understand how to post images in a thread here so I am putting some pics in an album.

RD3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    That is contrary to what I've heard about LEOs in Il but I'm glad to hear it.
    I looked and don't see the gun images.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    For right now

nice collection. what are you going to do with them?

For right now they are filling up the safe I just bought that was supposed to last me another year or so. :dunno:

Over the next couple of weeks, each one will get a thorough cleaning and get logged into my database. The Lugar will become a "safe queen" along with the Roosevelt commemorative. The Savage o/u has a good shot at becoming a "first gun" for one of my boys. The rest are undecided, but I almost never sell a gun, I'm sort of like a black hole where guns are concerned.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Here is the e-mail

How did they say you should transport them ? If you don't mind me asking.

Here is the e-mail they sent me:

Mr. *****,
    As long as the weapons are unloaded, cased, and not immediately accessible by the driver (in the trunk for example), and someone in the car has a valid gun owners card, you shouldn’t have any problems transporting the weapons back to Indiana (as long as that meets Indiana’s requirements as well). Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Lt. Alan Swinford
    Kankakee County Sheriff’s Department

We put them in the bed of my dad's pickup, locked the cover and one the neighbors who had a FOID card rode with us until we crossed the state line.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Here is the e-mail they sent me:

Mr. *****,
    As long as the weapons are unloaded, cased, and not immediately accessible by the driver (in the trunk for example), and someone in the car has a valid gun owners card, you shouldn’t have any problems transporting the weapons back to Indiana (as long as that meets Indiana’s requirements as well). Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Lt. Alan Swinford
    Kankakee County Sheriff’s Department

We put them in the bed of my dad's pickup, locked the cover and one the neighbors who had a FOID card rode with us until we crossed the state line.

This is similiar to the response I got when I called the Illinois State Police before traveling through on vacation.

On a side note to anyone interested who travels in Ohio. Ohio State Police said the same thing except they also stated the ammo had to be in a seperate area than the gun. They suggested ammo in back seat and gun in the trunk. The two I talked to on the phone were big on the weapon being outside of the lunge zone.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish
    I'm just wondering if you wouldn't have to ship them to an Indiana FFL instead...?

Since they are indeed crossing state lines, but it's not a sale. Are there provisions for this that the government would like you to follow?

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm just wondering if you wouldn't have to ship them to an Indiana FFL instead...?

Since they are indeed crossing state lines, but it's not a sale. Are there provisions for this that the government would like you to follow?

He's fine as long as it's part of someone's will or the firearms are given to him by the deceased's executor, it would then be exempt from the FFL requirements.

Nice looking guns too! :ingo:

Top Bottom