• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Anyone have any experience with what adhesive to use when customizing the foam inside hard cases. I'll need to glue the foam to the plastic in one spot, but mostly gluing pieces of foam together.
    I can see options from Google searches but didn't know if anyone had experience with what to avoid or recommend.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    3M Automotive interior spray adhesive is what I used.

For cutting, I rigged up some guitar string as a hot wire connected to a variable transformer and brought up the voltage to just make the wire hot enough to cut the foam. Nice clean cut edges.
    That's going to be a lot cleaner looking than anything I'm making for sure. I have an electric knife like used on thanksgiving turkey that does a better job than chewing it with my teeth but that's about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Either 77 or old fashioned contact cement.

Either one for a rock solid permanent stick, apply to both sides, then briefly stick it and remove it. Maybe make contact for a couple seconds.

Then wait a few minutes for it to be mostly dry. When the two pieces make contact again they aint coming apart ever again. So make it count the first time.

You can also just soak it down and stick it so you can reposition while still wet, but the adhesion isnt quite as permanent.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've used Plasti Dip on pick and pluck foam to hold it together. The foam drinks it up, but it allows you to cut 45 degree angles or have a single foam plucked out for a finger cutout so you can lift the parts out easier. Haven't glued the foam to the case though.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If left over sized the foan in smaller boxes holds in well. About 1/4 inch on each side. Boxes larger that 12 x12 do often require adhesive.

I am more or less talking good foam. Kaizan foam not pick and pluck which seems to compress more but is less ridged

Top Bottom