• ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hey everyone.

Wanted to run something by you all. Im a lefty, and am having intermittent issues with the mag not dropping when I actuate the release on my gen 4 Glock 23 with my left pointer or middle finger.

I can switch it, i know, but lets pretend I cant, for now. I dont know how much I like the idea of retraining myself to use only MY firearm. Im used to it being on the left side.

So, if I relieve all pressure on the mag (slide back) and remove all weight (mag not loaded) The mag hangs up at a rate of about 30% when using the left hand. If I switch to the right hand (no change in weapon, just switch hands) Its a 0% failure to drop.

My idea for what the problem is. Is the release button is not moving inboard in a uniform fashion (probably cuz of my finger not being able to sit flat on it), thus leaving a small piece of the catch still in contact with the recess in the mag.

Anyone ever have this issue?

I wonder if an aluminum mag release would stop this from happening?

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Also, I WILL reverse the latch if I cant solve it otherwise, but even though I hate being left handed sometimes, I hate even more, having to have special accommodation for it.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I'm a lefty and a proud new owner of a G23. SAME THING happens for me! It just feels like friction. In other words, you are not alone. I'm glad you posted this. I don't have a cure yet -- we could switch the mag release back, but that's the appeal of a gen4 for me.
    If I find out anything I'll let you know

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Does this happen with all mags or just one?
    I have 3, and it happens with all.

I'm a lefty and a proud new owner of a G23. SAME THING happens for me! It just feels like friction. In other words, you are not alone. I'm glad you posted this. I don't have a cure yet -- we could switch the mag release back, but that's the appeal of a gen4 for me.
    If I find out anything I'll let you know

I had the release switched for awhile, and it worked the same as it does, not switched, with my right hand, so perfectly.

Try using your right hand.. I bet the mags come right out.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just asking, could it be possible that your thumb/part of the hand on the right side of the gun is contacting/pressing against the right side of the magazine releas button? If any part of your hand is keeping the mag button from coming out a little bit that "could" b an issue. I see it occasionally with our department Beretta's with lefties and sometimes they don't realize they are doing it.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    I don't have a glock. I have an m&p and have never had issues with a mag not dropping fully loaded, unloaded, in between, slide forward or back. You may just need to apply more pressure with your index or middle finger. With my 1911 fully loaded (8+1) I have to use more pressure from my index or middle finger cause the mag catch is a little stiffer that way. But I've never had issues during competitions with the 1911 or M&P.

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    I also think it is a matter of force since it only happens using your left hand trigger or middle finger. I think the mag catch is being pressed just enough to move the mag catch spring and get the thing going but it's not completely cleared so the mag catch still rides the magazine. Try pressing it in and consciously holding it in and see if it still happens. You should be able to see wear marks on the mag to tell where it's hanging.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Just asking, could it be possible that your thumb/part of the hand on the right side of the gun is contacting/pressing against the right side of the magazine releas button? If any part of your hand is keeping the mag button from coming out a little bit that "could" b an issue. I see it occasionally with our department Beretta's with lefties and sometimes they don't realize they are doing it.

No I checked that, Good idea though. Im definitely not covering the opposite side of the mag release button.

I don't have a glock. I have an m&p and have never had issues with a mag not dropping fully loaded, unloaded, in between, slide forward or back. You may just need to apply more pressure with your index or middle finger. With my 1911 fully loaded (8+1) I have to use more pressure from my index or middle finger cause the mag catch is a little stiffer that way. But I've never had issues during competitions with the 1911 or M&P.

Do you shoot a right handed gun with your left hand?
    also, IM NOT SAYING YOU ARE!! But if your just trying to make alittle hint at how much better a 1911 or M&P is than a glock, than dont. Others may tout their glocks and say theyre better than 1911's or whatever, but I dont, so Id appreciate if that kinda crap stays out of this thread. ONCE AGAIN Im not saying YOU are doing this. Im just trying to nip this in the bud, I dont want this to turn into another "glock vs (insert)" thread.

I also think it is a matter of force since it only happens using your left hand trigger or middle finger. I think the mag catch is being pressed just enough to move the mag catch spring and get the thing going but it's not completely cleared so the mag catch still rides the magazine. Try pressing it in and consciously holding it in and see if it still happens. You should be able to see wear marks on the mag to tell where it's hanging.

Yeah, Im pretty sure thats whats happening. When I get my finger on the button, its not flat against it, its more on the higher edge of it, and I think Im actuating the switch with some lateral force, causing the release to get abit cockeyed, and remain hung up.

Im just wondering what people think about an aluminum mag release. If it being a more rigid material, would it stop this from happening you think?

bob_dolemite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Nah just shoot it and wear in the mag catch spring. If you're pressing hard enough to flex the plastic mag catch, it should be hard enough to clear the mag from the catch regardless of the angle. I don't think an Al mag catch would make any difference except for maybe placebo effect. If it makes you happy, though, buy it and be happy.

Heck, no armorer would ever tell you this but if you're desperate you might also try lubing the mag or taking some fine grit sandpaper to the mag or the catch. I would never do the paper but something like froglube on the mag right above the indent wouldn't hurt anything.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't have a glock. [STRIKE]I have an m&p and have never had issues with a mag not dropping fully loaded, unloaded, in between, slide forward or back. You may just need to apply more pressure with your index or middle finger. With my 1911 fully loaded (8+1) I have to use more pressure from my index or middle finger cause the mag catch is a little stiffer that way. But I've never had issues during competitions with the 1911 or M&P[/STRIKE].

Edited for relevance ;)

My new G22 Gen 4 drops mags without any difficulty at all, but that's with regular right hand usage.

I suspect that even the enlarged Gen 4 mag release may not be big enough for you. Getting the bigger one may be your solution.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    interesting. I never thought of a larger mag release.. I had actually thought of shaving the point off the mag release to make it more flat, relative to the angle my finger hits it.. I might try that, hell if I mess it up its like 6 bucks for a new one.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    Do you shoot a right handed gun with your left hand?
    also, IM NOT SAYING YOU ARE!! But if your just trying to make alittle hint at how much better a 1911 or M&P is than a glock, than dont. Others may tout their glocks and say theyre better than 1911's or whatever, but I dont, so Id appreciate if that kinda crap stays out of this thread. ONCE AGAIN Im not saying YOU are doing this. Im just trying to nip this in the bud, I dont want this to turn into another "glock vs (insert)" thread.

First, i forgot to mention that yes, i indeed am a lefty shooting righty guns. Second, I think you mistook my reply. Not making this out to be a glock vs whatever thread, simply giving advice from one lefty to another with my experiences with my weapons. Glocks are great weapons just as are many others.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have different gens of Glocks and shoot left handed using my trigger finger to press the mag release, I have not run into this problem. When I get some time I will see if I can make it happen, maybe that will shed some light.:dunno:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    First, i forgot to mention that yes, i indeed am a lefty shooting righty guns. Second, I think you mistook my reply. Not making this out to be a glock vs whatever thread, simply giving advice from one lefty to another with my experiences with my weapons. Glocks are great weapons just as are many others.

Yup.. I definitely misunderstood. If you know someone with a gen 4 Glock, give it a shot, see if it hangs up on you too. Im not sure its not just me, I CAN get my finger flat on the front of the button, but I have to almost let go of the gun to do so, so nuh uh...

Anyone trying to replicate this issue, make sure you do so accordingly.

Slide locked back, mag empty, simulating an empty chamber mag change

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I've had this happen to me as well. There is a fix for it.

Remove the slide from the firearm. Stretch an old t-shirt over one of the magazines that's giving you fits and insert the magazine into the receiver. Leave it in there overnight.

The next morning, remove the magazine, t-shirt and reassemble the firearm. It should work and drop correctly.

As a Glock armorer, I thought this was a ridiculous solution, however after being assured by the advanced armorers in Smyrna it does indeed work.

Apparently some frames are molded a little tighter than others. The added thickness of the fabric somewhat stretches/aligns the magwell so that magazines will fit correctly and drop free on demand.

Since doing this on mine, I've had zero issues. But the trick is that you have to use a mag that does not drop free for it to apply enough pressure to adjust the fit.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    ^^ reminds me of some other fixes on aircraft and such that I've seen used that were just as "shady' but similarly effective. I say don't argue with success and just go with it.

H

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    It definitely works... I spoke with one of the armorer trainers about a different issue and brought it up to him. He told me that yeah it's an approved official fix that one of the machinists down there came up.

It is off-the-wall but I know for my personal gun and a couple of customers that I've had try it have had a 100% success rate.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    How are you supposed to do this, exactly? How far into the magwell should the covered mag go? How are you getting the material wrapped around without doubling and tripling up on the mag, making it nearly impossible to even insert it?

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Magazine should be completely covered with one layer of t-shirt material and then completely inserted into the magwell and left the remain that way overnight. The amount of change that needs to take place is is in 1/100s of inches.

Excess material can just be allowed to hang loose.

Top Bottom