• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    What brand and grain would be best for practice and defense. Should I use same all the time or is there not much difference? New to handguns and any help is appreciated.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    brand: whatever your gun likes the best.
    grain: whatever your gun and you like best.

however 180gr for me because I have shot it a lot. for me it is much less expensive to shoot 180gr for practice. Since I like to shoot what I practice with, I switched to 180gr. The .40 caliber was actually made for 180gr, so they function quite well with them. Previous to switching I was shooting Winchester 165gr SXT, and Corbon 165gr JHP. Both are Great loads!

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    Thank you. Also is there any difference in jackets and materials. I am used to shotguns and know for different shells I use different chokes in the barrel. I haven't fired any rounds out of my Glock 22 yet and don't wanna buy a bunch of ammo that's no good or could damage the gun.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    nb good score, 180 gr for me is the best in Federal or whatever I find, Speer GDHP or Winchester PDX-1 for carry, however, I saw that Wal-Mart carries Privi .40 180 gr JHP at $19.67 a box (They HAD 10 boxes at the Emmerson/465 exit WalMart yesterday).
    I have fired some of it and it isnt my first choice of carry, but not bad if its all you can find.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    I finally got to shoot for first time today the Aguila ammo shot fine. I did enjoy it gonna go to gun show tomorrow in Seymour then take my son to parents to shoot tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on improved sights for my Glock?

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    My 22 isn't picky. I usually stay with 180 grain FMJ. The 180 grain seems to be what's at the best sale price when I'm stocking the shelves.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I upgraded to the Trijicon night sights on all my Glocks. I like the dots better. Just a personal preference.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    I found the Aguila 180 for 18 a box thought it was reasonable. Haven't bought anything else yet. He had more but didn't want to be a hoarder. I really just want to get better with my shooting so going slow on the rounds I have trying to make sure I am not learning bad habits.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I had a Glock armorer do it. There are some good videos on YouTube showing hdw to use the press to change them, but I had mine done.

nb1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Columbus
    Yeah I would probably have them done also I don't want to mess anything up. I will check at the gun show tomorrow see if there is a Glock armorer near Columbus.

6mm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    At this point, it's almost shoot whatever you can find! I'm shooting umc 180 fmj's...still plenty of bulk 250 round packs available.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I finally got to shoot for first time today the Aguila ammo shot fine. I did enjoy it gonna go to gun show tomorrow in Seymour then take my son to parents to shoot tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions on improved sights for my Glock?

I bought some of these and love them. They shine in low/dim light situations when the regular night sights do not show up as well. Watch the vid at 2:30 you will get a good demo.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZ4GKik5Qo[/ame]

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Bought some Aguila 180 gr. Liked it and got good price. Now to find a defense round.

I've had good luck with Aguila in .223, 9mm and .45. Alway economical and always seems to shoot pretty well. I find that AIMSURPLUS has some of the best prices on Aguila. (not to mention cheap/fast shipping since they're located in Ohio).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I found the Aguila 180 for 18 a box thought it was reasonable. Haven't bought anything else yet. He had more but didn't want to be a hoarder. I really just want to get better with my shooting so going slow on the rounds I have trying to make sure I am not learning bad habits.

I think I found your stash! I got two boxes.

For a carry round, I really think it's hard to beat any Ranger T or HST in either 165 or 180. The 180s are a little softer recoiling, deeper penetration, the 165s are harder hitting with slightly less penetration, potentially larger stretch cavity.

Have you looked up the tests of TNoutdoor9 on Youtube? He has same great denim-over-SimTest videos of most of the popular .40 LE rounds.

The 180gr HSTs have the largest overall wound cavity volume in FBI testing.

Oh look! Sgammo has them in stock for $0.60/rd: 40 cal | SGAmmo.com

Top Bottom