• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I had concrete edging installed earlier in the summer and now it's time to start fresh with new landscaping. I yanked out all of the old stuff that was very overgrown and a lot of maintenance and now wanting to go with something much more maintenance friendly. Looking for varieties that offer some color and don't get very big and won't require a lot of upkeep. I'm not one to know anything about everything there is to offer. If you want to show off pics of your landscaping and mention what is what, that would be nice as well. TIA

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, depends on how much room ya have, of course. But for a small tree that's really pretty, stays pretty small and requires little maintenance, maybe try Japanese lace-leaf maples:

80741d1307181391-lace-leaf-japanese-maple-tree-sale-around-parl-022.jpg

DETA-46.jpg

There's about a gazillion reddish hues to 'em, which could be mixed / alternated, etc.

Also, perhaps alternate them with some variety of pine (like those hoosierdoc suggested), or even go with a different shape dwarf pine:

Alberta+Spruce+Spirals.jpg

This could give some variety in color, texture, and 'visual dimension'.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Cannabis Sativa. It's practical, and you could make some money on the side. Wait, they kinda frown on that. Maybe some Datura Stramonium. Purty flowers, just don't try the scent. Oh, they'd probably object to those, too. Papaver Somniferum? Nah, that'd get you a few years, too. Erythroxylum coca? I bet nobody around here would recognize that. Might get away with it for a while.

Don't try to plant pinus or arborvitae in central Indiana. Especially in Hamilton county. Not a good climate for it, and definitely not good soil. They die. They all die.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What kind of space are we talking about? How much sun/shade?

I would avoid all bushes/trees if planting location is anywhere near water/sewer lines. Especially yew bushes and arborvitae varieties.

You will want perennials. Mums and hostas are good low maintenance choices (also great for partial sun/shade). So are the bulbs (irises, tulips, etc). Peonies are great for taking up space, but they can require some thinning and/or support. Black-eyed susans, coneflowers. There's always ground cover options, but you have to watch out for creeping beyond the border.

You could plant a fruiting bush like raspberries or black berries. Yeah, I know, I said stay away from bushes, but they aren't really bushes. They are canes.

Lilacs, but they usually require once-a-year pruning. And they are a bush.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Bulbs are a good choice. You can plant various bulbs and tubers that would bloom at different times. Daffodils, tulips are earlier, then Iris and lillies. Stella Doro lillies bloom longer and are shorter/bushier than many of the daylillies. Hostas are nice as they provide greenery all summer and bloom later after most of the lillies are done. Sedum plants are nice. Hard to kill, later bloomers and the butterflies love them.

Crocosmia bulbs provide nice greenery most of the summer with pretty red blossoms (at least the variety I have are red) in late summer.

Heuchera (coral bells) come in a variety of foliage colors and are easy to grow.

All of these are perennials that will come back each year and tolerate sunny locations or shade. I love working in my flowers and have experimented with a lot of perennials so if there is something you see that you like, ask for opinions and maybe we can advise on whether or not it would be a good choice.

What is your soil type? The ones I listed above all do well in sandy/well drained soil but I'm not sure how they would do in clay.

As was already stated, be careful with trees or shrubs if you are planting near a building, water lines, etc.

Top Bottom