GG& G vs. Mesa Tactical Shotshell Carrier?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I'm looking for a sidesaddle to put on my 870, and have narrowed it down to two choices. The first is the 6-shot sidesaddle from GG&G shown here:

Remington Side Saddle Shell Holder | GG&G Tactical Accessories

And the second is the Mesa Tactical Sureshell carrier, also a 6-shot

http://mesatactical.com/products/sureshell-carrier-for-remington-6-shell-12-ga/

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two products? Price wise they're pretty much identical and they both do the same thing, I'm just wondering if one works better than the other.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I have Three Mesa tactical carriers. They are all high quality units. I don't know about the GG&G's.

The main thing that intrigues me about the GG&G carrier is that the shells are held at an angle that in theory makes reloading easier, but I'm not sure I want to spend the $70 to find out if this is true or not. The old Tac-Star side saddle I had on my 500 seemed to work just fine and it held the shells in vertically.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    No experience with the GG&G, but I have had a lot of their products over the years and they're stuff is top notch. My 870P wears the Mesa, and I couldn't be happier with it.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I have used both. They are comparable. If you're talking about the GG&G side saddle with the cutout, I have to warn you, though, it takes a while to get the loading angle right. If your angle is wrong, your shell might be caught by the cutout, and you'd be pushing and pushing, wondering why it's not going in. While that may sound like I'd give the nod to Mesa, I seem to recall there is something I don't like about the screws, but I don't remember. Oh, yeah, it turns my autoloader into a one-shot wonder. But I don't think you'd have that problem with the 870.

It took me longer to break in the GG&G.

For either side saddle, clean inside the individual holders and lube the inside surfaces. Remington's dry lube doesn't work. You have to use something wet.

I don't have an 870, though, so your mileage may differ -- though probably not. I think you'd be happy with either.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I have used both. They are comparable. If you're talking about the GG&G side saddle with the cutout, I have to warn you, though, it takes a while to get the loading angle right. If your angle is wrong, your shell might be caught by the cutout, and you'd be pushing and pushing, wondering why it's not going in. While that may sound like I'd give the nod to Mesa, I seem to recall there is something I don't like about the screws, but I don't remember. Oh, yeah, it turns my autoloader into a one-shot wonder. But I don't think you'd have that problem with the 870.

It took me longer to break in the GG&G.

For either side saddle, clean inside the individual holders and lube the inside surfaces. Remington's dry lube doesn't work. You have to use something wet.

I don't have an 870, though, so your mileage may differ -- though probably not. I think you'd be happy with either.

What cutout are you referring too?

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    The main thing that intrigues me about the GG&G carrier is that the shells are held at an angle that in theory makes reloading easier, but I'm not sure I want to spend the $70 to find out if this is true or not. The old Tac-Star side saddle I had on my 500 seemed to work just fine and it held the shells in vertically.

have one on each of my mossberg's they work great never have come off and each gun has atleast 100 rds through it with no loosening or poping off (blue loctite is key!) and they were only like 38$ each shipped off amazon. they also work on 870's

Top Bottom