• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I got the bug after watching a few YouTube videos. Seems like some semi-realistic training can be obtained. I've got some old military gear that should work, but don't have a airsoft gun and know nothing about them. I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a good M4 or AK for less than $350 that is durable. (I am a lefty so ambi options are appreciated) Anyone have something they are wanting to get rid of or trade? I've got a Keltec PF9 I'm willing to trade for the right deal!

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Trading REAL guns for Airsoft... :nailbite:

I think I just saw the Mississippi River flow backward.
    You must have missed hurricane IDA when the mighty miss DID flow backwards. Haha. I have plenty of real guns!
    The PF9 came from a different trade and doesn't get used.

I want to get into milsim to grow my capabilities and test out my gear setup.

Basher

Expert
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Trading REAL guns for Airsoft... :nailbite:

I think I just saw the Mississippi River flow backward.

Well, it’s just a Keltec PF9, soo… :dunno:

I’ll follow along out of curiosity. Not so much because I’m unfamiliar with airsoft, but because I’m about 15 years out of touch. Back when I played, the big names were Tokyo Mauri, KSC, KWA, Elite Army, and if you REALLY wanted something flashy then you got a Western Arms for a pistol. Man, I had a few really nice WA pistols back in the day, wish I still had ‘em!

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    I used to be an avid airsofter. It’s a great sport (yes it’s a sport just as much as golf). Good spot to start looking is at Evike.com . They are the largest retailer and pretty much have everything you want.

I’ve owned multiple platforms included AK’s, M4’s, LMG, snipers etc. this is just my opinion, but ultimately I’ve found that the AK’s from manufacturers like CYMA etc were much more durable than the m4’s by the same company only really because the entry level price to AK’s is higher. That being said the m4’s were good and every easy to work on and replace parts/upgrade (which you will need to replace things because they are just plastic toys).

I’m also left handed and I just ended up shooting right handed because it really doesn’t matter much. The AK I used which held up for around 4 years was the CYMA AK-46 Contractor. Great gun and worked well but it died after I cracked the gear box since the safety switch on these is not as robust as real guns. Switched to a G&G Stubby M4. Also a great gun especially for CQB. Main complaint with this gun was it wasn’t rated for LIPO batteries so as the battery would slowly die, the gun would jam more and more. Changing parts on this was probably my favorite part about it since it was easy to work on.

I had my other guns but those are decent starter positions. This CYMA M4 RIS was a loaner gun I had for friends and worked well too. Make sure the gun you choose has a metal gear box, hop-up, has the type of batteries you want, and works with the mags you have (no all Airsoft m4 mags are compatible).

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I used to be an avid airsofter. It’s a great sport (yes it’s a sport just as much as golf). Good spot to start looking is at Evike.com . They are the largest retailer and pretty much have everything you want.

I’ve owned multiple platforms included AK’s, M4’s, LMG, snipers etc. this is just my opinion, but ultimately I’ve found that the AK’s from manufacturers like CYMA etc were much more durable than the m4’s by the same company only really because the entry level price to AK’s is higher. That being said the m4’s were good and every easy to work on and replace parts/upgrade (which you will need to replace things because they are just plastic toys).

I’m also left handed and I just ended up shooting right handed because it really doesn’t matter much. The AK I used which held up for around 4 years was the CYMA AK-46 Contractor. Great gun and worked well but it died after I cracked the gear box since the safety switch on these is not as robust as real guns. Switched to a G&G Stubby M4. Also a great gun especially for CQB. Main complaint with this gun was it wasn’t rated for LIPO batteries so as the battery would slowly die, the gun would jam more and more. Changing parts on this was probably my favorite part about it since it was easy to work on.

I had my other guns but those are decent starter positions. This CYMA M4 RIS was a loaner gun I had for friends and worked well too. Make sure the gun you choose has a metal gear box, hop-up, has the type of batteries you want, and works with the mags you have (no all Airsoft m4 mags are compatible).
    Great run down, I don't know anything about batteries. Are some designs better than others?
    Also @Refrigerator27 where do you play in the Indy area?

Last edited:

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Great run down, I don't know anything about batteries. Are some designs better than others?
    Yes your primary battery type is NiMH. These are Nickel metal hydride batteries which is the most common. Within these you have different volt sizes 8.4V & 9.6V and different shapes (small brick, large brick, butterfly/nunchuck, and stick). These are your most common and use small and large Tamiya connectors. The majority of Airsoft guns use these connectors and batteries. These are great and easy to use but they do die very quickly. I recommend having 3 on you for a full days of games.

Lipo batteries (lithium polymer) are batteries that certain guns can use that which has a better voltage and amp output on the gun allowing them to function more efficiently. 7.4v & 11.1v are the most common. For better performance get ones with higher amp ratings. Some of these batteries use tamiya connectors and others use deans connectors (which are better and easy to install). Rule of thumb is an unmodified gun can use a 7.4v lipo with a tamiya connector, although beware. I was out once and put a 7.4V lipo in my CYMA M14 for my wife to use. The amp rating was too high for the wires and the wiring in the gun melted and caught fire. Make sure that your gun is rating for lipo’s by reading the instructions or reaching out to the manufacturer. Best thing on lipos, I could use 1 lipo battery for a whole day without changing it. Which to me was worth it.

RIP M14
    2014-2019.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    @Refrigerator27 where do you play in the Indy area?
    to answer your other question added, I don’t really play in Indy since moving here. Most of my playing was when I lived in the west coast. Deserts and mountains which made it a lot of fun.

There are a couple groups on Facebook which you may want to look into as well as Airsoft c3. There’s some groups on there that have events. I believe there’s one very active group in Jasper IN.

Top Bottom