• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    It will be my first gun and I have some questions. I want to take a class on how to shoot and basic gun safety. I want my wife to come too.
    2nd, it's a shotgun. Where can I go and shoot at a range or something? The ranges I have seen only allow pistols and rifles.

Thanks
    Jason

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Where are you located? I know a few ranges that teach basic courses.

FWIW, most indoor ranges will only allow Slug rounds.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    If you were further North I could help you in finding a few ranges. Hopefully someone from your area will be able to help.

Remington1100

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Franklin
    Atterbury has a 25, 50, 100 yd range and a pistol range, they allow slugs on the range also. It is seven dollars to shoot for the first hour and five for every hour after that. You also have to pay a $5 target frame fee that you get back if you don't shoot their target frame. It is a good place to shoot, but there are rules. As long as you do what the range officers say, you will not have any problems.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    range

I'm not the type of person to go and trash a place. I'd follow the rules. With that said, I am extremely unlucky and accident prone it seems. So I might mess up but it wouldn't be intentional. I'm down in atterbury all the time fishing. And my wife works in trafalgar so it's not too far.

Jason

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    Place to shoot: Home
    The range officers will probably be willing to answer some questions about shotgun manipulations (load, unload, making safe, etc.) if they are not too crowded. Probably several people here that would be willing to do the same.

Training for shotgun: Yavapai Firearms Academy
    He will be in Boone County this August.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Hey Jason, its me Matt Hull. I'd be glad to help you pick one out and go somewhere to teach you the safety and target shoot sometime. I'd even let you try out a few of my guns too, so you can get an idea of what you want.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Gun rental

If you go to Atterbury They have 22 caliber pistols and bolt action rifles for rent. The cost is $5 per hour to rent. Tell the person at the counter you are a new shooter and they will be glad to get you started. If you show up on Tuesdays or Sundays I will be happy to go over the basics with you. No shot is allowed on the rifle-pistol range, SLUGS ONLY.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    shotgun

Hey Matt. I wondered if you were on here. I've pretty much chosen the one I want. Just have some testing to do and stuff. I've been looking at the remington 870 tactical. Mostly cause of it's rep and weight and cost. It's going to be used as a home defense gun. I would go with something more powerful, but my wife is making it a point that it won't go through walls or anything like that. But she definatly wants to learn how to shoot too.

Jason

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Hey Matt. I wondered if you were on here. I've pretty much chosen the one I want. Just have some testing to do and stuff. I've been looking at the remington 870 tactical. Mostly cause of it's rep and weight and cost. It's going to be used as a home defense gun. I would go with something more powerful, but my wife is making it a point that it won't go through walls or anything like that. But she definatly wants to learn how to shoot too.

Jason

Good choice, and good reasoning. I'd be glad to help. Something more powerful? For close range you're not gonna get much more power than a 12 ga, lol. My mossberg maverick 88 12 ga pump is my go to gun for home protection too. But at the same time a 45acp is always with me as well. Till we can meet up, refer to the sticky'd thread above with firearm rules from the late Jeff Cooper. That'll help you get a start.

Top Bottom