• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rj3438

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    Anyone out there have any experience with the generator connection that REMC sells/installs?(It's the one that installs right at the meter)

I've been considering a generator and trying to work through the best way to connect it if I do. The REMC option seems simpler than a seperate disconnect but I think it's more expensive.

Looking for any feedback from anyone that has taken either route.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Anyone out there have any experience with the generator connection that REMC sells/installs?(It's the one that installs right at the meter)

I've been considering a generator and trying to work through the best way to connect it if I do. The REMC option seems simpler than a seperate disconnect but I think it's more expensive.

Looking for any feedback from anyone that has taken either route.

I'd like to know more about it. My REMC does not sell generators and I'm thinking about buying a LP GenAc Guardian. Do you have a link for a web site?

Thanks

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Its probably a transfer switch.

An electrician can do the same thing for you.

This is very necessary if you plan on hooking up your generator to a house feed. It allows you to use your generator and not back feed the transformer which can cause damage to your generator and the transformer.

You can do it by throwing the mains and putting your own hooks in the panel but it is not foolproof. Trying to remember all the steps in the dark its easy to forget something. Transfer switch is foolproof.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    It may be a little on the expensive side, but I would go with a product that is endorsed by your utility co.
    Look at it this way, if god forbid there was a power outage, and while working on a down line, a lineman was injured by the output of your generator feeding back out onto the grid, using a switch that the power company endorsed "and" installed, would go a long way in protecting you from a damage liability or wrongfull death lawsuit.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Its probably a transfer switch.

An electrician can do the same thing for you.

This is very necessary if you plan on hooking up your generator to a house feed. It allows you to use your generator and not back feed the transformer which can cause damage to your generator and the transformer.

You can do it by throwing the mains and putting your own hooks in the panel but it is not foolproof. Trying to remember all the steps in the dark its easy to forget something. Transfer switch is foolproof.
    I work for a REMC I can try to get you some info on the units we sell . Another not so know fact is if your generator isnt hooked up it WILL back feed the line and the transformer will step up the voltage and back feed the line witch could kill and or injure some who is working on the line to restore you power :noway:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I work for a REMC I can try to get you some info on the units we sell . Another not so know fact is if your generator isn't hooked up it WILL back feed the line and the transformer will step up the voltage and back feed the line witch could kill and or injure some who is working on the line to restore you power :noway:

That would be great - I'm interested :)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    How much? I like not having to cut holes and run wires.

BTW for those of you investing in a generator, make sure to think about theft prevention.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Transfer switches aren't rocket science. I use a manual one by GenTran I got back in the late 90's. If you've ever installed a circuit breaker you can install a transfer switch. It's pretty easy if you get a pre-wired one. Looks like it runs about $219 these days. Surface mount - screw it to the wall. If I remember correctly, it's wired in series with corresponding breakers (but don't quote me on that).

Gentran Corporation: Generator Transfer switches for home & business

Installation instructions:
    http://www.gen-tran.com/assets/pdfs/vintageInstall.pdf

Top Bottom