Gen 5 glock 17 barrel swap that's better for coated lead bullets?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • howdy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2021
    valparaiso
    I know I've read a few times that glocks and lead bullets don't go together all that well, is there a barrel I can switch to that would make the two go together better?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why what happens when you shoot hard cast coated bullets?

Lead and hard cast bullets are two different types of bullets.

I've shot 200gr WFNGC hard cast bullets out of my Glock 20sf with no problems at 1258fps except glock smiles on some brass.

1635447715502.png

Last edited:

howdy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2021
    valparaiso
    Why what happens when you shoot hard cast coated bullets?

Lead and hard cast bullets are two different types of bullets.

I've shot 200gr WFNGC hard cast bullets out of my Glock 20sf with no problems at 1258fps except glock smiles on some brass.

View attachment 165388
    I haven't actually shot them yet, I actually just got the glock. I read a few times that lead bullets don't play well with glock barrels, so I was figuring I would switch out to a kkm or something like that. Also new to glocks so I thought I'd see what other people think the best barrel is.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    If there coated,you should not have a problem with a factory barrel.
    I have shot thousands of rounds thru a factory barrel.
    Just keep a eye out that your not leading and you will be fine.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I haven't actually shot them yet, I actually just got the glock. I read a few times that lead bullets don't play well with glock barrels, so I was figuring I would switch out to a kkm or something like that. Also new to glocks so I thought I'd see what other people think the best barrel is.
    Good luck. KKM is always at least 6-8 weeks out. double digit weeks for some finishes.

But I like my barrel. (even though I ended up switching to plated bullets instead)

Some kind of coating whether its copper plating or powder coated works around the rifling/fouling issues.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    They go together fine as long as you don't use too soft lead/too hot powder with no gas check and end up filling the rifling with lead.
    BBIs the voice of reason beat me to it.. It's a liability thing for Glock but simply doing what you would do with any other barrel with reloads and lead bullets (check for leading) it's a non-issue.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't forget to clean the barrels out after shooting. Not sure how many rds you shoot on a range trip. I can go through 300rds easy 500rds if I have extra time and 1k rds or more with family and friends visiting.

I've used Hoosierbullets.com and Summitcitybullets.com bullets both are very easy to clean up afterwards. They also have good accurate bullets. I recommend both.

Hoosierbullets.com I shot in excess of 1k rd in my Shield 45 and Ronin. Very accurate 230gr bullet very easy to clean up. No lead fouling at all.

Top Bottom