• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Just picked up a new to me Gen2 G17 last week. Got a chance on Friday to put 300 rounds through it. All 300 ran through but it seemed like the vast majority of them ended up in my face, top of my head, or shoulders. I've seen some other posts on other sites saying that it's the grip, or limp-wristing it that causes it and then I've seen some that suggest something may be wrong with gun itself. Just as background my G42 does not have the same problem.

Any ideas? Is it me or should I have someone take a look at it? Or do I just get a big hat and live with it?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Brass to the Face (BTF) is a known feature of Glock perfection. I'm not an armorer, but my understanding is the extractor and extractor spring can be changed out to eliminate the issue, although some trial and error may be involved.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Just picked up a new to me Gen2 G17 last week. Got a chance on Friday to put 300 rounds through it. All 300 ran through but it seemed like the vast majority of them ended up in my face, top of my head, or shoulders. I've seen some other posts on other sites saying that it's the grip, or limp-wristing it that causes it and then I've seen some that suggest something may be wrong with gun itself. Just as background my G42 does not have the same problem.

Any ideas? Is it me or should I have someone take a look at it? Or do I just get a big hat and live with it?

A 2nd gen? Haven't heard any real problems with a 2nd gen. Call Glock about it.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Currently planning on attending GSSF event this weekend in Ohio. Hoping to have the Glock Armorer look at it while I'm there. Guess it depends on how long the wait is for him/her to take a look at it. Aside from this issue the gun was shooting great, so hoping to get this fixed or at least severely minimized soon. thanks guys

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't buy the whole 'It's your grip' excuse. Most of my Glocks have done that, but not all of them. None of my other pistols do that and every one of them is gripped pretty much consistently by me. As BBI said, I think that there's a way to correct it via the extractor and maybe the ejector. I did do a minor mod to a G19 I had that was terrible in that way and it seemed to improve it a bunch, but that was a number of years ago. IIRC, the mod involved stoning a part of the extractor to change the timing of extraction or something like that. Charlie, of CharlieCo. might be able to shed more light on the issue.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I heard a bunch about this awhile back. Glock fixed the problem. You may want to call them and they may send you the parts no charge. I think it was an extractor issue. There should be a number on the one in the gun. I would write that down along with the serial number and contact them.

Another great source for info is Glocktalk.com and do a search. Don't sweat it can be fixed for little or nothing. People are collecting those older Glocks now and it may be worth more than you paid.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I'll definitely follow up with Glock, whether in person at the GSSF event or giving them a call. Glocktalk is where I had seen on others previously reporting the same type of issues.

I bought this one because it was a decent price and looked to have a very low round count through it, would be even better if it ends up worth more than what i paid for it someday.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'll definitely follow up with Glock, whether in person at the GSSF event or giving them a call. Glocktalk is where I had seen on others previously reporting the same type of issues.

I bought this one because it was a decent price and looked to have a very low round count through it, would be even better if it ends up worth more than what i paid for it someday.

I've seen Gen 3's spray brass like a sprinkler and some Gen 4's have issues. I have not seen it on a stock Gen 2, but that doesn't mean much.

I wonder if someone swapped out some parts on it before you got it. There are plenty of threads on GlockTalk and some here about it.

It's been a while since I dealt with this, but I had good luck on my Gen 3 that did some of this by swapping the ejector for a Gen 4 (30274) and I believe the spring loaded bearing as well.

Not sure any of that would be applicable on a Gen 2.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I wonder if all the parts are original or not...:dunno: Never heard of this issue with a Gen2 anything.
    I would get a new extractor, spring, and rod. Make sure the rod is in the correct way (spring toward the rear).
    Maybe give the slide a good cleaning and swab out the hole for the extractor rod & spring (q-tips work good for this).

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I wonder if all the parts are original or not...:dunno: Never heard of this issue with a Gen2 anything.
    I would get a new extractor, spring, and rod. Make sure the rod is in the correct way (spring toward the rear).
    Maybe give the slide a good cleaning and swab out the hole for the extractor rod & spring (q-tips work good for this).

I'll give it a look. I got one of the hot rounds stuck right under my safety glasses and my face and put a nice little burnt spot on the old noggin. definitely hope to get this figured out before too many more scars. Ha!

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have never seen a properly working Gen 2 or Gen 3 do that.

First thing is first. If you just purchased this used Gen 2, it needs a detailed strip and cleaning. If you are not comfortable doing that, then you have 2 options. Find a fellow INGO'er in your area willing to help or take it to a Glock armorer that may charge you for this. I would help, but you do not seem to be in the Fort Wayne area.

During this detailed cleaning, I suggest that you replace 4 springs. 1. recoil spring 2. striker spring 3. extractor spring 4. trigger spring. These springs are very inexpensive and can wear over time. You can usually pick these up online for somewhere between $10 -$20. I would also inspect your extractor and ejector to make sure they are not chipped or otherwise damaged. If they are damaged, they will need replaced as well. If they look good, then I would leave them and see how the gun runs.

I have had several friends in the last 2 years who have purchased one of the numerous used .40 S&W Glocks that have been hitting the market. Some got Gen 2's and some got Gen 3's. I have suggested the process above for all of them. Some of them did it and their pistols have been working very well. For the others who did not do this, some have still worked, but some have had issues.

It is very inexpensive and I do not understand those who are not willing to invest the little bit of time and money it takes to ensure your used gun works well.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I too have never had an issue with any of my Glock flock doing that consistently at the range, oh yes there have been times where I too get a hot one to the side of the safety glasses, or a noggin shot. On an "indoor" range with separating side walls, ejected brass does ricochet off the right wall and bounce in deflection back towards the shooter, I never have that problem "outside" in the open. Where you in or out? At an outdoor GSSF match, I am sure if it continues to happen, some one should be there to assist you.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    It was an indoor range, it could have been a ricochet - hard to tell after the fact I guess. I do have plans to shoot once or twice more before this weekend's event and at least one of those times should be outdoors. Or at minimum I should have a friend with me this time to at least watch from behind to see if it was a direct hit or a ricochet.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    It was an indoor range, it could have been a ricochet - hard to tell after the fact I guess. I do have plans to shoot once or twice more before this weekend's event and at least one of those times should be outdoors. Or at minimum I should have a friend with me this time to at least watch from behind to see if it was a direct hit or a ricochet.

Yep, I'd suspect the indoor range ricochet, until you get to shoot it outdoors. Have someone stand behind and to your right side and they should be able to see what is happening.

As stated, I've seen plenty of later model Gen 3's and some Gen 4's do this, but have never seen a Gen 2 do it.

If it does it outdoors, then I suspect someone has swapped some parts before you got it.

There are good videos on Youtube for detail stripping a Glock slide. It is pretty straight forward.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    OK, brass rebound, I expect and tolerate it at my bi weekly range sessions indoors, a bounce off the shoulder or forehead is tolerated, but not long ago I had one as others have had, go into the top of my shooting glasses, and that's a three stooges face slap moment to swat those glasses off before your hot sting turns into a burn.
    Let us know after an outdoor session if anything changes.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Difficult to figure it out without looking at it but it is NOT normal. I can look at it for you and would suggest that before you start throwing parts at it. Couple months back a guy brought me Gen 2 with a similar issue and his issue was a LCI extractor that is not compatable with a Gen 2 pistol. If you would like to PM me I'll let you know what my schedule is for the week and I'll take a look at it for you.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Difficult to figure it out without looking at it but it is NOT normal. I can look at it for you and would suggest that before you start throwing parts at it. Couple months back a guy brought me Gen 2 with a similar issue and his issue was a LCI extractor that is not compatable with a Gen 2 pistol. If you would like to PM me I'll let you know what my schedule is for the week and I'll take a look at it for you.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Certified Glock & M&P armorer
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]

A buddy of mine is blue label so he's going into Jenkins today to buy a new glock or two during their glock day event and I'm going to tag along. They're supposed to have a glock factory rep there to look over things. I'll take my 17 with me and have them take a quick peek to see if it's something blatantly obvious to them. If not, I'll take you up on your offer. thanks!

Top Bottom