• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I am a bit intrigued by these because of the caliber conversions. But how long does it maintain your interest as an owner?
    I bought my Contender new in 1989 with a 10" 357 barrel. Still have that barrel along with a Super 14 in 223 and a couple of 22lr match barrels. Owned a few 44 mag barrels , 22 Hornet , and an original 22lr non match barrel. Never thought of parting with the Contender in the 30+ years I've owned it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am a bit intrigued by these because of the caliber conversions. But how long does it maintain your interest as an owner?

I'm invested in the Encore platform. After getting in with the muzzleloader, prices started increasing though, along with some realities.

When I bought the 209X50, barrels were selling just over a hundred bucks. When I finally got around to buying an additional barrel, they were over $200. :spend:

Along with the reality that the muzzy forearm won't work with rifle barrels. Also that rifle barrels and pistol barrels require differerent furniture also. :spend:

Another realty is that unless you really really like tinkering and rezeroing, each one of your barrels needs it's own dedicated piece of glass.

When barrels went to over $300, it didn't take long to realize that wasn't terribly far off from a decent bolt gun, especially a used one. :n00b: If the barrel needed a scope continually mounted, is the whole package a better deal than separate whole rifles? :scratch:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Opening and closing a break open IMHO kinda sucks for any range time.
    However, if your range goes 100 yards....maybe farther, there is some fun to be had w specialty pistols.

Never fell for the " kit" aspect, but w seasonal barrel change........can do varmints, squirrel and deer w easy bbl swaps.

Bbls not cheap anymore, add in an optic per........not the cheapest way to go. Plus ya got one gun w mult bbl.

Think entry level bolt guns and the CVA single shots really hurt TC from making a comeback.

Top Bottom