• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thundorr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    fortville
    I am looking to buy a new pistol to start to shoot uspsa and other shoots around town. I want to know everyones opinon on what would be the better pistol to get the G22 or G23. Or any other suggestions on good pistols for competitive shooting.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Look at something with a slightly longer sight radius like a G34 or G17L if you like Glock, or maybe a M&PFS or M&P Pro from Smith and Wesson. Are you wanting to stay with the.40 or is 9mm an option?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It gets complicated when you REALLY get into it. I say starting with 9mm is a great thing. I personally don't like .40 in either the G22 or G23 as it's a bit snappy for me, especially with factory ammo. That said, I'm shooting the M&P in 9mm.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    I agree that shooting something like a G34 would be a good call for competition. If you want to comp AND carry with the same gun, the G23 is not a bad choice. FWIW, you'll need to get both before it's over!!!

Seriously, I've shot my G23 in a few USPSA shoots (L10) and it works just fine. That said, I am looking for a better Limited gun and will likely go with a Para...though the G35 would be a good gun too. Even though the G23 will work, in a sport where scores are recorded in 4 decimal places - take every edge you can possibly get.

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Most people who shoot Production (the division stock Glocks would fit in) shoot 9mm because there is no scoring advantage to shooting .40 as there is in other divisions such as Limited. Considering that, and the cost of ammo these days, I'd definitely get a 9mm. If you get serious about this game, you will shoot a LOT, and spend more money on ammo than whatever gun you get itself. 5,000-10,000 rounds a year is not unrealistic at all.

The L models such as the 17L aren't Production legal, so I'd get the 34 if you're set on Glock. Otherwise, I'd also consider any of the longer M&Ps or an XD Tactical. Whatever gun you decide on, getting new sights and possibly a trigger job would be a good idea. The stock sights on all 3 of these guns are terrible, and a good set of sights will ease the learning curve for the sport. I really like the Dawson Precision sights I have on my XD.

Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! (Powered by Invision Power Board) is THE forum to read if you're into this stuff. There is a nice thread on "your first USPSA match" over there that gives you an idea of what to expect. Go slow your first few times, be safe, and keep coming back. :) This might not necessarily happen to you, but I got 42nd out of 42 at one of my first matches. Keep at it, and eventually you'll be the one winning the matches.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    You can be competitive with anything, but you might as well take any advantage that you can get.

If you want to shoot Production division, the 34 is the Glock to have. It gives you a long(ish) sight radius, the full size frame for more gripping area, and 9mm is THE round to shoot in Production for many reasons. Production division is all scored as minor power factor, so the extra recoil and cost of anything bigger is a waste, and is considered a handicap by most.

If you're set on shooting a .40, get the largest frame/sight radius available (for a Glock, it's the 24 or 35) and shoot in Limited or Limited 10 to take advantage of major scoring.

The 17L and 24 aren't Production legal, but are good to go for both Limited and Limited 10. The 34 and 35 are legal for Production as well as the other divisions. This is something to keep in mind when deciding on a gun.

Hope this helps.
    (EatMeerkats has solid advice too)

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    I work at gun shop
    I'm not so sure that you want to admit to that...:):

I've managed to make B class in Production with a Glock 34, and EatMeerkats has managed B class in Production with a XD9 Tactical. I'm pretty sure that neither one of us is content with that, but the guns aren't holding us back any either. They're both solid Production gun choices. If you stick around the sport long enough, you'll find that it's not the gun that makes the difference. Get one that you enjoy shooting, and practice until your hands bleed, and then do a little more practice.

Last edited:

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    I work at gun shop,most people use a 9mm due to the low recoil
    In addition, there's no real competitive advantages to shooting 9mm in Production Division (9mm scores the same as if you're shooting .500 S&W Magnum) and ammo costs more.

FWIW though, you can reload some pretty dang soft shooting 40 and .45 as well. I think some .45 at Minor PF, I could probably get the brass to hit the ground before the bullets hit the target.

I'd probably still be running my XD-45 if I hadn't gotten my Glock for $107.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    FWIW though, you can reload some pretty dang soft shooting 40 and .45 as well. I think some .45 at Minor PF, I could probably get the brass to hit the ground before the bullets hit the target.
    The truth is, you can load .40 a lot softer than any 9mm load and still make minor. I've heard it described as damn near cheating by those that have shot such a load. High component prices is the main reason that it isn't commonplace.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you stick around the sport long enough, you'll find that it's not the gun that makes the difference. Get one that you enjoy shooting, and practice until your hands bleed, and then do a little more practice.

Amen. This is the best comment I've seen yet on competitive shooting guns.:yesway:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I am looking to buy a new pistol to start to shoot uspsa and other shoots around town. I want to know everyones opinon on what would be the better pistol to get the G22 or G23. Or any other suggestions on good pistols for competitive shooting.

There are quite a few of us here who shoot the G34. It's also the most popular in Production Division in USPSA.

Brian Enos is probably the most popular USPSA web site and the G34 talked about frequently.

If you wanted to shoot a Glock in Limited, then the G35 is a good choice

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

Do you already have a 9mm or larger pistol w/ a safe holster? Bring it. Shoot. Get an understanding of the game. Then buy new gear.

-rvb

Top Bottom