• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Finally got registered. Expect it to be mostly review for myself, but I'm taking 2 of the kids with me so it will be a good introduction for them. AND, the price is right!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I attended the class in Greenwood yesterday and took a couple of the kids.

It's a very, very basic class. It consists of a 1/2 hr. lecture and a 1/2 hr. skills practice where you get to try placing a tourniquet and packing wounds on a simulated limb section.

Again, very basic stuff. So, if you've ever taken a trauma/tactical medicine/TCCC/etc. class you likely don't need this.

Additionally, imho, in the interest of delivering this at a "bleeding control for dummies" level some of the finer points were not covered, and some things we're so simplified as to potentially be detrimental (again, IMO).

You do get a class booklet to take home [1], and they gave away one of their bleeding control kits as a door price (very nice touch!) [2].

All that said, it's good intro for the general public, and it's FREE. Hard to argue with that. And you never know, maybe it will inspire some people to take their medical training farther. In my case, it was a good intro for a couple of teenage kids and provided good context for further discussion on the way home.

Recommended.

[2] - https://controlbleedingkits.com/index.php/product/personal-bleeding-control-kit/
    [1] - https://www.bleedingcontrol.org/~/media/bleedingcontrol/files/stop%20the%20bleed%20booklet.ashx

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. I took this even after already taking a class from an INGOer. I noticed things they left out too. I just wanted a refresher.

But I think that overall, its a good class for the general public. I'd rather have lots of people who COULD kill me accidentally because they goofed than have to sit and watch me bleed out, guaranteeing my demise because they couldnt do ANYTHING.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I just became a STB instructor.

I'll be throwing classes up soon.
    Please don't throw up in my open wound....lol.

I agree the class yesterday was overly basic. I go every year for the practice on the wound simulator. Using off hand, one handed tourniquet application, etc. I would like to see a more "advanced" level class. STB 2.0 so to speak.
    I went to apply the tourniquet one handed while still keeping pressure on the packed wound, and the nurse/volunteer said "don't do that" - um, what? Do you want me to stop the bleed or not?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You do get a class booklet to take home [1], and they gave away one of their bleeding control kits as a door price (very nice touch!)

Going to a class tonight with my nurse wife, hope she doesn't laugh at me.

Are their kits a decent value? They are supposed to have some for sale after the class.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Are their kits a decent value? They are supposed to have some for sale after the class.

Imho, put it together yourself. You'll save $ and it'll be more tailored to your specific needs. I have one that is more basic for my hiking/hunting packs, and one that has more kid "boo boo" stuff in the vehicle packs. All include shears, tourniquets, and gauze/Israeli bandage. eBay is your friend.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I went to apply the tourniquet one handed while still keeping pressure on the packed wound, and the nurse/volunteer said "don't do that" ...

Right. You should have asked the nurse/volunteer, "why?"

There was nothing on self-application of a tourniquet either. Everything was from the perspective of you treating another individual.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Right. You should have asked the nurse/volunteer, "why?"

There was nothing on self-application of a tourniquet either. Everything was from the perspective of you treating another individual.

I learned a long talk me ago to not ask why. Assume I was applying it to my other arm. I rarely do the slip over method. Usually undo the whole thing.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So....
    Do you guys take turns being the victim or do you round up homeless guys on your way to class?
    bu4xZRa.gif

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    TQs hurt when you apply them tightly enough to stop blood flow. I've only had it on my arm. I think it would suck worse on a leg, especially if you were trying to stand or walk.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I took this class today at the Hamilton County Sheriffs Department. Good class, pretty basic but definitely helpful for non medical trainined people. This got me thinking though, does any know any other free or very low cost classes for basic medical training like this one?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom