• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    When I first started shooting, I was employed as an intern in South Bend. Shooting up here is great. Chain of Lakes Gun Club is a great place for skeet and trap, and there are two indoor ranges for handgun shooting: Class 3 Sales (New Carlisle) and Midwest Gun & Range (Elkhart). Class 3 charges $9 per hour of range time. Midwest charges $10. Both are very reasonable. Class 3 even sells targets for like $0.25 a piece.

However, I'll be spending the next 12 months studying at Purdue in West Lafayette, and the only range I know of is Flat Creek in Lafayette. My dad and I went there over Easter, and I was disgusted with their prices. $11 per half hour. $1.00 per target. $3 lead fee if you bring your own ammo.

I don't like to rush through a practice session, so 1 hour is usually comfortable for me and 50 - 100 rounds of ammo. Therefore, what would cost me $9.50 at Class 3 (1 hour + 2 targets) would cost me $27 at Flat Creek. Is this not ridiculous?

Furthermore, Flat Creek uses some jank electric controls on their lines, so you have to wait 5 minutes just for your target to stop shaking.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I first started shooting, I was employed as an intern in South Bend. Shooting up here is great. Chain of Lakes Gun Club is a great place for skeet and trap, and there are two indoor ranges for handgun shooting: Class 3 Sales (New Carlisle) and Midwest Gun & Range (Elkhart). Class 3 charges $9 per hour of range time. Midwest charges $10. Both are very reasonable. Class 3 even sells targets for like $0.25 a piece.

However, I'll be spending the next 12 months studying at Purdue in West Lafayette, and the only range I know of is Flat Creek in Lafayette. My dad and I went there over Easter, and I was disgusted with their prices. $11 per half hour. $1.00 per target. $3 lead fee if you bring your own ammo.

I don't like to rush through a practice session, so 1 hour is usually comfortable for me and 50 - 100 rounds of ammo. Therefore, what would cost me $9.50 at Class 3 (1 hour + 2 targets) would cost me $27 at Flat Creek. Is this not ridiculous?

Furthermore, Flat Creek uses some jank electric controls on their lines, so you have to wait 5 minutes just for your target to stop shaking.

They also have rates for a summer membership, IIRC, which cuts your costs (after that) to $3 ammo fee + $1 target, or bring your own.

Can't help you on the shaking targets, though, except to say to pull it back and change targets, then send it back down while you re-prep your mags. Optionally, you could take a couple of binder clips (like they use to clip the target to the carrier) and clip them to the bottom of your target for weight.

Since they're the only range in town, they kinda get to set the market. I don't see that as a bad thing-they are in business, after all. ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

:twocents:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    You could go to Jasper/Pulaski State Park and shoot, or Linden..

Indoor, though, they're the only game in town.. I'd think that a town the size of Lafayette could do a better sized range, but that's why I shoot my own..

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Yea thats the only indoor we have here, but if you want a nice all around place check out Linden ($50/yr). I've also heard good things about Wildcat, but I think its by invite only. I know there's a few members on here that could probably chime in.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Yea thats the only indoor we have here, but if you want a nice all around place check out Linden ($50/yr). I've also heard good things about Wildcat, but I think its by invite only. I know there's a few members on here that could probably chime in.
    Thanks for the info! I'd like to check out the Linden Conservation Club when I get back to West Lafayette for summer school. If I could get in contact with a member, that would be great!

:)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

wldcat is probably the hardest to join.. not worth it if you are just going to be around for one year..

but the events, idpa , cowboy, 3 gun.. are all open to non members...

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I'm mostly interested in handgun target shooting (9mm), but I also shoot skeet on occasion (especially in South Bend since the club up here is pretty sweet).

gunner4564

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Walt is the owner over there at flat creek and his son pat helps him run the place. It's family owned and operated so if you get in good with they guys they will really start to treat you differently. I know that may not be the best way to run a business but to each his own. My advice would be to go in and spend some money on a membership and then when you are there spend some time hanging out and shooting the **** with some of the guys but just watch out for that dog Moses...he can be a handful.

One more tip...bring cardboard to hang from the target holder and then just tape/staple paper to it, makes it much more stable. Oh and make sure the exahust is on when you are shooting as they sometimes forget to turn that on :-)

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    Oh and make sure the exahust is on when you are shooting as they sometimes forget to turn that on :-)
    That's what that was? :n00b:

The last time I was there, I left with the taste of lead in the back of my throat. That settles it. I don't think I'll be going back, and I wouldn't recommend that anybody else go there either if the staff isn't even responsible enough to look after the health of their shooters at $22 per hour.

Looks like outdoor is the way to go.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I've been to this range once with my brother and friend. Its really nice but a little too much $$$ in my opinion.. I'm not even sure the yearly membership would be worth it...

The guy working that day admitted to us that since he is the only indoor range he can charge whatever he wants and people will still use it..

The day we went a Purdue ROTC group was doing pistol qualifications and he had the fans turned off most the time because they could not hear instructions. It was a bit hazy in there and my lungs are happy we didn't stay any longer then the 1 hr.

We also noticed the swinging targets when the distance was changed. We just decided it would be more fun to shoot at a swinging target then wait for them to stop..lol

My friends and I decided in the long run it would just be cheaper to drive up to Jasper/Pulaski County when the weather was nice or hit the Bullseye range when we were all back in Kokomo..

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Linden CC is $50/yr, and you can get a membership at Applied Balistics on Union St. If you want to check it out first I'd be willing to take anyone down there as a guest for a couple hours/the day. My roommate, a coworker, and I all are members and shoot on the weekends when the weather is nice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Never had a problem with Flat Creek, but I agree it is on the high side.

But when it is -9 and the wind is blowing, I'm glad it is there.:D

In Lafayette I usually shoot on private land or at Wildcat.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    Do you have to spend minimum time cleaning up at Linden CC?
    I heard that was the rule at Wildcat. My folks have land we shoot on, I am going to design a range there. Sorry for the thread jack, but what kind of backing should I use for shooting at?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Do you have to spend minimum time cleaning up at Linden CC?
    I heard that was the rule at Wildcat. My folks have land we shoot on, I am going to design a range there. Sorry for the thread jack, but what kind of backing should I use for shooting at?

Wildcat requires 10 work hours.. but it does not all have to be "cleaning up"..helping run a match counts.. any gun club is going to have a cost for what you get.. you can always pay extra dues if you don't want to give work hours..

Top Bottom