• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    IMPD’s Fishburn works light admin duty

Indianapolis police officer Jason Fishburn spoke to the media today about his progress since suffering a gunshot to the head during a chase last year.

Fishburn has appeared publicly a few times but has spoken rarely, in part because of brain injuries that still limit his speech skills. He took questions from reporters this afternoon at the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department training academy, 901 N. Post Road, where he returned to work recently on light administrative duty. He works four days a week for four hours.

“I’m very grateful and glad to be back,” Fishburn said, speaking softly and considering his words carefully. His wife, Tonya, and father, IMPD Sgt. Dennis Fishburn, sat at his side.

Fishburn, now 30, was shot in the head and in his protective vest July 10 during a foot chase on the Eastside of Brian Reese, a suspect in the fatal shooting days earlier of a 69-year-old man. Reese later was charged with killing two others the same week. He has an Aug. 10 trial set in the Fishburn shooting.

Fishburn has been released from rehabilitation, but an occupational therapist visits the training academy twice a week to check on his work performance. He will assume more duties gradually, but for now, he is handling tasks such as filing.

“It’s not so good,” Fishburn said, laughing. He would prefer to return to work as a street cop — a goal he says may not be possible with the challenges posed by his injuries.

Still, he didn’t consider leaving IMPD. “I just keep going. Honor, duty and reverence, all that, you know? It's just a little bit different. … I don't have a gun now. But it's OK.”

Fishburn has been exercising by walking on a treadmill — he recently trekked 5 miles — and says he looks forward to the chance to drive a car again in September.
    IMPD Chief Michael Spears said faith played an important role in Fishburn’s recovery so far.

“He’s my hero,” Spears said. “When you think of the progress he’s made, it’s amazing, miraculous.”

“Whether or not he will return to full duty, none of us can say,” Spears said. “As long as I’m police chief, we’re going to do everything for Jason and his family to ensure he can serve in a meaningful way.”

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom