• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Bill, I get everything you said. However, not being one who leans to the left nor right, I understand that -- supposedly -- those who are currently in the majority are more supportive of our rights as citizens. At least those are the sentiments that have been proffered on this forum. If they (Republicans) are in charge, why take baby steps? They have the votes to give us the ability to carry our guns anywhere we desire as long as we are in possession of the LTCH.

If they want to take baby steps, I would prefer they take the baby step of giving me my rights, THEN work on alleviating citizens of the necessity to purchase the LTCH. After all, aren't they (Republicans) supposed to be the friends of the 2A?

Now, I am not sure who authored this proposed amendment, but if it was a Democrat, I would say great move forward. However, if it was a Republican, I say, FAIL.

its because they are still politicians that owe allegiance to their party before the people. until that changes we will never have a constitutional republic.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que as a COLLEGE student you can LEGALLY have your gun on you on campus as well as locking it in your car, this law has nothing to do with colleges as according to the IC they are not schools

I will definitely have to look that up. I have never heard that to be the case and if so, would render the recent talks with the administration at Purdue and IU moot. Now, there may be another statute that covers college campuses separately, but I will look when I get a chance. So, I won't muddy the waters by bringing this discussion to the college level until I'm sure they are separate matters.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'm dense, but not absolutely dumb. :D I get the point that we can now legally leave our guns in the trunk, as long as we are not a student. However, since the Council is now ran by those who are supposed to be on our side, I anticipated they would find a way to refrain from labeling me a criminal, instead of pacifying my right to bear arms.

Also, I definitely understand you have to crawl before you walk, but we've been crawling a long time concerning this matter. I just expected more. Besides, as a current college student, I am still without the right to protect myself and still can't even keep my firearm in the car, according to this proposal. I hope this explains my ambivalence for the most part.

Also, I'm not killing the messenger. This is a great post that concerns most of us. I just have many questions for the author(s) and I understand you can't answer those.

I went through this when I was BSU. There was no way that I was going to walk home from the library every night at 1am through the tree path back home unarmed. I never had an issue but there were others who did at times and I didn't want to be the statistic and it was worth the risk of getting caught. However, I did make sure my carry gun was concealed well and usually didn't carry to class during the day.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I will definitely have to look that up. I have never heard that to be the case and if so, would render the recent talks with the administration at Purdue and IU moot. Now, there may be another statute that covers college campuses separately, but I will look when I get a chance.

Que I'm sure that the administration of Purdue and IU consider their rules the law, but the IC is very clear on defining schools, you will probably get expelled for carrying a gun on campus but not procecuted.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    colleges are not schools in indiana. you can be expelled, but not arrested, for carrying on a college campus.

May not apply that way if you are at a college day care or in an area where students from a school are there working with student teachers. Ball State in Muncie has two high schools and an elementary basically on campus. Also, they have a day care/preschool that I had to walk in front of everyday to get home.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que I'm sure that the administration of Purdue and IU consider their rules the law, but the IC is very clear on defining schools, you will probably get expelled for carrying a gun on campus but not procecuted.

You guys are absolutely right. I am confusing this matter and I ask the OP to forgive me. I'm doing too many things at once.

Now, bringing this back in order, if this is passed, I will be allowed to keep my gun in my car when I visit my daughter's school. :rolleyes: I would still like for them to allow me to carry.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    You guys are absolutely right. I am confusing this matter and I ask the OP to forgive me. I'm doing too many things at once.

Now, bringing this back in order, if this is passed, I will be allowed to keep my gun in my car when I visit my daughter's school. :rolleyes: I would still like for them to allow me to carry.

Que, I would still be cautious on your college campus if there are elementary or high schools on the campus. I believe you are at IU and I can't remember as I haven't been there in a while. (I never paid attention to a lot except the next bottle during little 5)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

Me too but this is a step in the right direction

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, I would still be cautious on your college campus if there are elementary or high schools on the campus. I believe you are at IU and I can't remember as I haven't been there in a while. (I never paid attention to a lot except the next bottle during little 5)

Well, I work at IUB and employees cannot have guns in their car, regardless what the law says. Well, we can have them, but if discovered we will be fired. I'm a student in Indianapolis and both student and employee regulations apply to me, so I can be expelled from the School and fired.

Thank God for the new establishment for fighting to make it legal to keep my gun in the trunk at my daughter's school. But, I guess this is a compromise in the right direction.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    A step in the right direction? Maybe. As a LEO, I am authorized to carry in a school and would prefer that people would not leave guns in their unattended vehicles. However, an OC vs CC debate would soon break out as I would also not want anyone's gun to be visible to students that seem to be prone to violent outbursts. Any time my gun is not on (or nearby in the case that I'm at home) my person, I want it locked up so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands, and I'm not referring to my trunk or a locked glove box.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Keep in mind this does NOT change the previous "parking lot" law that does not extend to school employees. This means it is not a crime to leave a gun in your car... it doesn't protect school employees from being fired.

As for it not being a big enough step... you must remember that these are politicians. Gun laws are things that are usually approached very carefully. Especially when its a law where people are going to be crying "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!"

I would rather have this bill that might pass than a "good one" that won't. At least now that whole thread about people getting stuck at a school who intended to remain in the car that must go inside having to decide HOW they are going to unwillingly commit a felony will be a moot point.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So, basically, a person without a license is charged with a misdemeanor instead of a felony? How is this better for us? What am I missing?
    It could be used as a stepping stone to do away with the permit scheme and head us in the right direction, Constitutional carry. I think possession of a firearm by a person shouldn't even be a misdemeanor. It's a right, not a crime.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    When will law makers and the general public understand that laws like this does nothing more than to provide a false sense of security and puts more restrictions on the law abiding citizens?

Its already illegal to shoot or point guns at people. If that law doest stop anyone from doing it another law about carrying on school property isnt going to stop them either.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When will law makers and the general public understand that laws like this does nothing more than to provide a false sense of security and puts more restrictions on the law abiding citizens?

Its already illegal to shoot or point guns at people. If that law doest stop anyone from doing it another law about carrying on school property isnt going to stop them either.

I'm afraid the answer to your question is: "probably never again".

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think we can all agree that it would be better if the law allowed us to actually CARRY in schools.

However I think we should still write to our state senators and urge them to support this. It prevents well meaning people from ending up in situations where they are forced to commit a felony.

TriggerWork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I think we can all agree that it would be better if the law allowed us to actually CARRY in schools.

However I think we should still write to our state senators and urge them to support this. It prevents well meaning people from ending up in situations where they are forced to commit a felony.

I agree, not so sure about inside the school though, but I have contacted my state senator already.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    A step in the right direction? Maybe. As a LEO, I am authorized to carry in a school and would prefer that people would not leave guns in their unattended vehicles. However, an OC vs CC debate would soon break out as I would also not want anyone's gun to be visible to students that seem to be prone to violent outbursts. Any time my gun is not on (or nearby in the case that I'm at home) my person, I want it locked up so it doesn't fall into the wrong hands, and I'm not referring to my trunk or a locked glove box.

Leaving it in your car is far from ideal, however it is better than being forced to commit a felony when you have to unexpectedly go to a school with no chance to go home first.

I support people's right to OC... but if it meant allowing school carry, I would be more than happy to accept a stipulation that it be concealed on school property. I agree it would (at the very least) probably cause a disruption amongst immature students. However I don't see us getting that far anytime soon.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    A responsible law-abiding citizen, lawfully carrying a firearm inside the school is no different than say that same person lawfully carrying a firearm inside the mall or inside of a amusement park or anywhere else for that matter.

There is no risk in allowing responsible, law-abiding people to exercise their fundamental/Constitutional right of self-defense.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that criminals who are intent on going on suicidal murderous rampages aren't stopped by legislation, even draconian legislation.

Top Bottom